Football clubs not named after their town/city

TRS-T

This is a barking mad thread but while we're at it, how about Raith Rovers, from Kirkcaldy. There is no such Place as Raith, hence the funny story about a BBC commentator in the 60s saying, after a Raith victory, "they'll be dancing in the streets of Raith tonight!".

Aston is not a town.

It is part of Birmingham.

But it was a town when Aston Villa FC were founded. It didnt become a part of Birmingham until Aston Villa had existed for 37 years. You seem to be missing that relatively simple concept deliberately!

Fair enough but we should have updated our name when Aston became a part of Birmingham.

Afterall, most of our fans do not come from Aston.

Are you telling me that after 37 years of being Aston Villa we should've changed it to Birmingham Villa?

Everyone else did.

Newton Heath - Manchester United

Eastville Rovers - Bristol Rovers

The Wednesday - Sheffield Wednesday

Small Heath Alliance - Birmingham City

TRS-T, let me guess a little here. I've read a number of your posts for quite some time now and let me ask you, no disrespect intended whatsoever, but d'you write a lot of lists? keep a very orderly bookshelf? D'you tend to categorize things intricately and precisely? D'you enjoy the very thought of categorization and making order out of disorder?

I think you might have a touch of OCD. Might be wrong, but... I only say this because one who has a bit of it tends to recognize it in others.

Aston is not a town.

But it was a town when Aston Villa FC were founded. It didnt become a part of Birmingham until Aston Villa had existed for 37 years. You seem to be missing that relatively simple concept deliberately!

Fair enough but we should have updated our name when Aston became a part of Birmingham.

Are you telling me that after 37 years of being Aston Villa we should've changed it to Birmingham Villa?

Everyone else did.

That well known suburb of Sheffield called The

And no, everyone else didn't. Otherwise this thread would not exist for starters. Everton didn't, none of the London clubs have...

Real Betis (Sevilla, Andalusia)

Levante (Valencia, Valencia)

Osasuna (Pamplona, Naverre)

Real Sociedad (San Sebastian, Basque Country)

Espanyol - Barcelona

Full name is Reial Club Deportiu Espanyol de Barcelona.

This thread is literally mental.

I might start one titled "Football clubs that ARE named after their town/city"

And the idea that we should have changed our name to Birmingham Villa is completely retarded

Argies are quite keen on this...

•Asociación Atlética Argentinos Juniors (La Paternal, Buenos Aires)

•Club Atlético All Boys (Floresta, Buenos Aires)

•Club Atlético San Lorenzo de Almagro (Boedo/Flores, Buenos Aires)

•Club Atlético Vélez Sársfield (Liniers, Buenos Aires)

•Club Atlético Independiente (Avellaneda, Greater Buenos Aires)

•Racing Club (Avellaneda, Greater Buenos Aires)

•Club Atlético Tigre (Victoria, Greater Buenos Aires)

•Club Olimpo (Bahía Blanca)

•Club Atlético Belgrano (Córdoba)

•Club Atlético Colón (Santa Fe)

•Club Atlético Unión (Santa Fe)

•Club Atlético Newell's Old Boys (Rosaria, Santa Fe)

•Club Atlético San Martín (San Juan)

What tends to happen with clubs whose names lack reference to a home town/district is that they are unofficially named as being from their particular area in both local and common parlance. For example, Club Atlético Unión are widely referred to as "Unión de Santa Fe" (with "de Santa Fe" literally translating to "from Santa Fe").

Of particular note is Club Atlético San Lorenzo de Almagro; where the "de Almagro" does refer to the neighbourhood the club (then named "San Silencio de Almagro") originated from, they moved to nearby Boedo district in 1916 when they opened their own stadium (El Gasómetro). Following mismanagement and financial hardship throughout the '70s, the club were forced to sell El Gasómetro to the military government in 1979 and had to rent the stadium in order to play home games. Former club president Fernando Miele commissioned a new stadium for the team, and in 1993 the Estadio Pedro Bidegain was opened in the Flores district. The "Nuevo Gasómetro" (as it was nicknamed) was not well received by San Lorenzo fans, who to this day lay claim to the old stadium and have repeatedly petitioned and demonstrated for the club to reclaim their former site.

Aston is not a town.

Everyone else did.

You're absolutely mad.

Do you think it should be changed now?

trst man, I **** love your threads :lol:

Is Metropolitan Police a town?

Vauxhall Motors FC is the best example I can think of

Aston is not a town.

Everyone else did.

You're absolutely mad.

Nah it's too late now.

We should have done it in 1911.

We would have been none the wiser.

Pretty much every Villa fan who is alive now would have grown up with us being called Birmingham Villa.

In the same way that every Manure fan who is alive now has grown up with them being called Manchester United and not Newtown Heath.

Part of our charm is our name. I'd hate to lose that. And given that I'm not local to the area, it's possible that I mightn't have chosen to support a 'Birmingham Villa', so I'm very glad those with influence chose to keep our beautiful and unique name.

Part of our charm is our name

Agree, as some chap once said "Even the name is beautifully symmetrical, with five letters in each word"

If we were called Birmingham Villa, that wouldn't be true iirc

Aston is not a town.

Everyone else did.

You're absolutely mad.

Nah it's too late now.

Pretty much every Villa fan who is alive now would have grown up with us being called Birmingham Villa.

In the same way that every Manure fan who is alive now has grown up with them being called Manchester United and not Newtown Heath.

You're mental.

Why is it too late now but it wasn't too late in 1911?

If we change it now then every Villa fan going forward will grow up with it being called Birmingham Villa

Bizarre thread

Aston is not a town.

Everyone else did.

You're absolutely mad.

Nah it's too late now.

You're mental.

Why is it too late now but it wasn't too late in 1911?

If we change it now then every Villa fan going forward will grow up with it being called Birmingham Villa

Bizarre thread

Because in 1911 football was hardly the same as it is now.

We wouldn't have established AVFC as a brand like it is now.

Also I'm sure the fans then wouldn't have minded.

But obviously the fans now would be 100% against it.

But by your logic, Newton Heath should have changed their name to Salford United. They aren't from Manchester.

But by your logic, Newton Heath should have changed their name to Salford United. They aren't from Manchester.

Newton Heath is in Manchester.

Â