Confirmed: Paul Lambert new Villa boss

VillaRoy

The brand of football has to be right and therefore the choice of manager has to be right.

We cannot afford to go for a manager who plays a brand of football that is time and achievement limited. None of the teams in the PL that finish in the top 6, win cups regularly and qualify for Europe regularly play one dimensional direct football. Teams like Stoke etc. have a very limited shelf life and will never amount to anything.

We have to get it right even if it takes time to see the benefits.

100% THIS! Like I just said, for this reason NO to Lambert.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lambert is ok I guess but I wish we could get away from direct football. It's a recipe for long term Premier League mediocrity as any MON team will prove.

I think that Lambert is more tactically astute than MON was and is probably a good man motivator, but I agree with you about his direct style of football. I thought that MONs' style of football got found out after a couple of seasons, and I can remember looking at my watch at many home games waiting for the boredom to end.

MON had a lot of good things going for him and so does Lambert, but it's not the kind of football to excite and inspire. It's still streets ahead of the anti football that we've endured this season though.

The brand of football has to be right and therefore the choice of manager has to be right.

We cannot afford to go for a manager who plays a brand of football that is time and achievement limited. None of the teams in the PL that finish in the top 6, win cups regularly and qualify for Europe regularly play one dimensional direct football. Teams like Stoke etc. have a very limited shelf life and will never amount to anything.

I agree to an extent. But football is about the here and now. - I much prefer lambert to come in - get us top half next season, than a relegation fight with Martinez but promises to change the culture of the club.

The current squad is piss poor - the crown jewels have been sold - but I would expect a new guy to show improved results pretty quickly. We can't have another season of transition - without any results.

I agree to an extent. But football is about the here and now. - I much prefer lambert to come in - get us top half next season, than a relegation fight with Martinez but promises to change the culture of the club.

The current squad is piss poor - the crown jewels have been sold - but I would expect a new guy to show improved results pretty quickly. We can't have another season of transition - without any results.

Football is not about the 'here and now' unless you have very limited ambitions and aspirations.

If football was just about the 'here and now' then Man United and Arsenal (to name but two) would have faded into oblivion ages ago and someone different would win the title and the cups every year.

Unless one step forward and two steps back is your favourite pastime then a robust and meaningful structure has to be put in place for long term success.

Lambert is ok I guess but I wish we could get away from direct football. It's a recipe for long term Premier League mediocrity as any MON team will prove.

Norwich played proper football last Saturday, passed & moved with wingers.

Can't say I'm an expert on their footie style, but everytime I've seen them, they seem to play decent football and what's more they hold the ball better than we have for a long time.

THIS to me has been the biggest gripe since MON days. Why oh Why has our ball retention been so appalling?

Since Milner left it's got even worse.

Norwich played proper football last Saturday, passed & moved with wingers.

Can't say I'm an expert on their footie style, but everytime I've seen them, they seem to play decent football and what's more they hold the ball better than we have for a long time.

THIS to me has been the biggest gripe since MON days. Why oh Why has our ball retention been so appalling?

Since Milner left it's got even worse.

According to McLeish our players had already started their holidays during the match. All Norwich had to do was dribble round our claret and blue striped deckchairs! 8)

Football is not about the 'here and now' unless you have very limited ambitions and aspirations.

If football was just about the 'here and now' then Man United and Arsenal (to name but two) would have faded into oblivion ages ago and someone different would win the title and the cups every year.

Unless one step forward and two steps back is your favourite pastime then a robust and meaningful structure has to be put in place for long term success.

What I mean is - who ever we appoint in the next month or so - probably won't be the manager in 4 years time. Yes I know, Fergie, Moyes - but they are very much the exception.

If its Martinez or some other beautiful game merchant - fine - if he is laying robust foundations for the future again fine - but beyond all that I want to see some evidence of improvement on the pitch - pretty quickly - I couldn't accept another season of dire results with some vague promise of total football a couple of years down the line.

Jason Cundy sticking up for us on You're On Sky Sports. Norwich fan giving us crap saying it'd be a joke if Lambert went to Villa, but wouldn't complain if he went to Liverpool. Cundy follows up with "Why not Aston Villa? Let's be honest, they're a massive club". Norwich fan goes on about Liverpool having potential to be in the top 4/6 next season and Cundy says he thinks we could as well! I think he's being a bit overly optimistic there, but it's nice to see someone on Sky sticking up for us.

Norwich aren't just a kick and run team. They can play with the ball on the floor quite effectively with good movement, and Lambert plays to the strengths of the players he has. Not sure where this opinion comes from that Norwich just can't play football and they are completely direct. I think people just think he's going to play football the exact same way MON did. Though I do genuinely believe that Lambert has far more to him tactically than MON has.

From a football perspective, Lambert wouldn't be my pick. After a few days reflection though, I think that the important thing is that the club employ a credible football manager with a sense of vision and direction, a manager that the supporters can get behind.

Paul Lambert is a credible football manager, and I will willingly support him.

Lamberts odds are tiny. I wouldn't even get a chomp bar from £10.

I would be very happy.

I think Lambert's odds have come in for us due to a flood of money on Martinez for the Pool job. But I actually think Lambert might be more suited to the Pool job than Martinez.

I would be very happy.

I think Lambert's odds have come in for us due to a flood of money on Martinez for the Pool job. But I actually think Lambert might be more suited to the Pool job than Martinez.

I just hope liverpools owners - making there first proper appointment - are as inept as our owners first 2 appointments - also hoping Faulkner and Lerner have read that 'recruiting managers for dummies book' I sent them.

Seems our sacking was rubber stamped 3 weeks ago - so I am hoping they have at least targets in mind - thats hoping not hopeful though

I would be very happy.

I just hope liverpools owners - making there first proper appointment - are as inept as our owners first 2 appointments - also hoping Faulkner and Lerner have read that 'recruiting managers for dummies book' I sent them.

What was 'inept' about the appointments of O'Neill and Houllier?

They were both credible appointments handled in a smooth manner.

Didn't Doug appoint MON who accepted the job on the understanding that Lerner was taking over?

I think that you will find that O'Neill had face to face discussions with Randy Lerner who then offered him the position.

I doubt that there is anyone who would take Doug's word at face value.

Hey guys i joined last year when i had some news on a transfer target but i didnt bother posting. That news was indeed correct and it involved yohan cabaye. Im a student studying sports journalism in london and i am lucky enough to have a continued work placement at talksport towers.

Randy Lerner willl have compensation wrapped up by friday and im 90% that come Monday lunchtime aston villa will present Paul Lambert as the new coach. Now unlike other appointments Randy will be in attendance in this presentation to show villa fans his commitment, and change in nature.

The downside is today a colleague of mine has personally spoke with quiche flores the former atletico madrid manager, who openly expressed an interest to paul faulkner. He was briefed that the new man will have

8 million plus 50% of player sale fees to invest in the squad.

transfer list 3 current players who have expressed an interest in leaving the club to the boardroom.

I guarantee this will come to fruition in the next few months. quiche flores has been rejected.