Jan transfer window - rumours, speculation & suggestions

OnePablo

Darren Bent won't be playing for Charlton in August regardless of what they do but TBH I expect that in February - he will.

That's a fair comment.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good point by BOF

And that probably applies to every club with a player who is a regular first teamer or superstar. The players won't leave unless their clubs are offered stupid prices, or the players aren't necessary at their club's. I'm hoping Lerner will seperate the men from the boys and show Villa as big money, high quality transfer dealers.

But if we have to settle for those players who aren't getting a game at their current clubs, then who might be available? Has anyone got a list of European club player appearances? That might give us a clue as to whose available...

Rich your normally a person in the know , have you heard any rumours ???

Have heard nout.

Just a feeling I get

I really think we need to make a signing to signal intent and this would definitely do that. It would suit all parties I think, just IMO

But what is value in 2006?

Sure no player are sold for 50 - 100 any longer (well, it could happen with a few), bit it's only years since every newspaper had the "who is the first to be sold for 100M"-competitions all over the place.

Sheva - 30M, for a 30 year old, who has failed so far! Where is the value? There is none, but will they regain the title? Sure!

Carrick - 18M, for a player I wouldn't have paid more than tops 12M for. Value? To whom? United can carry 18M easily.....

Villa must up the prices and up the wages, or else we are doomed. When playing FM2007 you see the differences. Our best player is paid like 30K-a-week or something, whilst United, Arse and not least Chelsea pay around 70-100K for many of their players!

I dont disagree with you, just saying if he's sold for 5 then Bent has to be sold for 15

Its the market place I'm afraid

Cant agree with that one Richard...players values arent necessarily related to others.

Yes in theory Bent is easily worth 3 times whatever Heskey is, goal-scoring strikers are like gold-dust. But it just doesnt work like that.

For instance Heskey was bout for 11, 3 (plus add-ons) and 5 million. Hardly consistent is it!? Bent was bought for 2.5 and is now valued at 10-15 million.

You get the point.

I doubt we'll pay £15m for him, i think £10m is expensive tbh. If his form drops off until summer you could easily see him go for alot less.

The problem with buying players for 10-12-15 million, is that the wages they demand will be a great deal higher thn th likes of Barry, Petrov, JPA etc, so do we offer them payrises to keep them at the club, or sell them to teams that will......

It could cause alot of dressing room upset if we bought 3 players for 15m each and started paying them 50k a week...

The worlds changed a whole lot over the last few years.

If Darren Bent wants to leave Charlton in January then he probably will. The price is just damage limitation by Charlton.

It's a strange market for strikers in January, it's the window usually reserved for the desperate.

We're desperate to show that we've changed.

Newcastle on the other hand are just plain desperate, and really need to sign at least one striker.

That's going to push prices up, which means that if Bent wants to leave Charlton, (Or Keane/Defoe want to leave Tottenham) those teams are going to have to face up to losing those players, but they are going to be able to pretty much name their price.

I don't like the idea of being in a bidding war with a club known as one the biggest mugs in the market, and I don't think MON is about to allow us to get ripped off, no matter how thick his wallet is.