Jan transfer window - rumours, speculation & suggestions

OnePablo

Blades: Huge bid for Jags to pack bags

Sheffield United plc chairman Kevin McCabe has admitted only an eye-watering offer could see Phil Jagielka leave Bramall Lane.

Earlier this week McCabe outlined a plan to strengthen the Blades squad in January by raising £10million through a convertible loan notes issue, with £5million to be set aside for new players.

McCabe certainly has no intention of selling any of United's star names, particularly Jagielka who has been one of manager Neil Warnock's key performers upon the club's return to the Premiership.

Jagielka's versatility, as he can operate at the centre of defence or midfield, has led to recent speculation regarding his potential departure next month.

Monday's visitors to Bramall Lane in Aston Villa are among those who have been linked with the 24-year-old, who has another two-and-a-half years remaining on his current United contract.

"It would have to be a very high price," said McCabe when asked about Jagielka. "Phil is one of our key players, we recognise that, and Sheffield United is not a selling club per se.

"But if the price was high enough, so high, we would have to think about it - but I think my eyes would have to water first."

Last Saturday's 2-1 victory at home to Charlton lifted the Blades out of the bottom three, following on from the 1-0 win at Watford a few days earlier.

With United looking to make it three wins in a row, McCabe is confident Warnock and his men will avoid the drop.

"The shape of the squad, Neil has got it about right now," added McCabe. "It has taken time and the players are no longer in awe of the next team they play, which I think was the case for the first half a dozen games.

"The squad is likely to change in January with outgoings and incomings, but the spirit is great and I am optimistic."

Clicky

I think Jagielka is a mon type player and would be a great signing.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I have thought about John Carew for a while. He will never get us more than 12 goals in the league, but he

might just be great for the other pacy strikers. Unlike Angel he is fast and strong, and can take on defenders with ease.

Sure he is not as good a header, but it's not like Angel is scoring for fun anymore. Not that he ever has.

VERY strong. No, he isn't that wonderful in the air is he? If Alieu got us 12 per season in the Premier I'd be extremely surprised. More like about 7! But blimey he can hold on and wait for support like almost nobody.

The amazing opinions of zippy have returned after nearlty 2 months of internet disconnection.

I reckon we should get Lucas Neill, a class player. I reckon we will get players of a similar quality to Petrov, good players but not world beaters.

We need to start somewhere, but if players like SWP or Defoe come along and we want to come I'm all up for it. But let's be realistic.

Mikel silvestre is quoted i believe in saying if he was to leave man u it would be for the spanish league, as hes played in the italian and english leagues and wants to experience that one.

more chance of signing wes brown i reckon, as he isn't getting a game either, and its only a matter of time before he eventually moves to someone like us, spurs or pompey IMO

Today's Mirror:

9 December 2006

EARD INSTINCT

ASTON VILLA manager Martin O'Neill is ready to make a move for Oldham's highly-rated right-back Neil Eardley.

Villa have made an enquiry about Eardley, 18, who is a regular in John Sheridan's promotion-chasing side and want to snap him up ahead of rivals Liverpool and Tottenham.

Link: http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/tm_headline=eard-instinct%26method=full%26objectid=18235720%26siteid=94762-name_page.html

Also:

Mirror: HEARD on the grapevine that Darren Bent, Nigel Reo-Coker, Luis Boa Morte and Lucas Neill are going to Aston Villa this January.

Mirror: HEARD on the grapevine that Darren Bent, Nigel Reo-Coker, Luis Boa Morte and Lucas Neill are going to Aston Villa this January.

Blimey if thats true I'd be very happy!

Indeed :D

All paper talk till Jan though :(

Blimey if thats true I'd be very happy!

Indeed

All paper talk till Jan though

It's not even paper talk.

I'm sure that bit is from the part where fans are asked to e mail in. So everyday people e mail in with the most obscure transfers you can imagine. :lol:

Neil Eardley from oldham who is only and and his fromt he mirror. Mirror: HEARD on the grapevine that Darren Bent, Nigel Reo-Coker, Luis Boa Morte and Lucas Neill are going to Aston Villa this January.

Is it just me, or does that just sound like this topic? Have the mirror just been reading villatalk for all the latest transfer news? :winkold: