Jan transfer window - rumours, speculation & suggestions

OnePablo

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I seem to remember we were on verge of siging Bergkamp berfore The arse got him . i even heard he was at our ground when his agent got the call from t hem but dont know how much truth there is in that

An Ellis fairytale?

He was great at announcing that we were in for top players just after they had signed for someone else ie RVN after he joined MU.

IMHO he was there on a night off just watching a game and, by consequence, throwing an eye on Premiership opposition. I'd say most of the league's managers were there on their night off.

Why would Charlton sell Bent?

They could get £10 million for him and rubberstamp their relegation.

They could keep him, give themselves a huge chance of survival and still sell him for about £10 million if they get relegated.

They could keep him, give themselves a huge chance of survival and still sell him for about £10 million if they get relegated.

Oh god, don't say that :wink:

Because they will be relegated as things stand even with Bent. The money from Bents sale could buy a few players who will make them a better team. A team that may survive.

If they are relegated it will cost them £50m+. £10m is money they can use NOW to avoid the worst. Remember its particularly harsh for any team thats relegated this season. If you offered Charlton a choice to either sell their best player or go down, its not really a choice at all is it?

Good question, which I believe Mazrim has eloquently answered.

If I could anything to the answer you have it's that if they are still down there come Jan and looking likely to go down I think Bent will let them know he wants out, esp if clubs came sniffing

I don't think buying players in January for a club in a relegation scrap is that simple either. They take time to settle, and are usually on quite high wages (as a payoff for entering a crappy scenario) and even with Pompey's fortunes last season they barely escaped and that was with miracle worker 'arry at the 'elm. I think Charlton's chances are best helped with keeping Bent in any scenario and I'd be amazed if he was sold while they were still in the Premiership.

I don't think buying players in January for a club in a relegation scrap is that simple either. They take time to settle, and are usually on quite high wages (as a payoff for entering a crappy scenario) and even with Pompey's fortunes last season they barely escaped and that was with miracle worker 'arry at the 'elm. I think Charlton's chances are best helped with keeping Bent in any scenario and I'd be amazed if he was sold while they were still in the Premiership.

Exactly

I suppose it will come down to whether Reed thinks he can improve the squad with £10 million minus Bent.

Personally i think he'd be a moron to do so. The thing that will save them will be goals, can you get a replacement for less who'd want to join and could be guarenteed to settle...no way.