Jan transfer window - rumours, speculation & suggestions

OnePablo

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not neccesarily, If you just want a temporary replacement or want to fully check out a player before purchasing, then you loan the player.

Did Chelsea not loan Maniche (I think) from a russian side last year, and you wouldn't exactly say they are strapped for cash...

No, you may want to buy an Aston Martin but can't get the one you like for 6 months so instead of buying a car you don't like and getting the depreciation of it you borrow your mates Mercedes for 6 months because he isn't doing anything with it.

No, you may want to buy an Aston Martin but can't get the one you like for 6 months so instead of buying a car you don't like and getting the depreciation of it you borrow your mates Mercedes for 6 months because he isn't doing anything with it.

Agreed - but if Darren Bent is the Aston Martin - we know he is available.......The cover has been blown me thinks

Yep - bringing in loans - can only mean - we can't afford to buy ...............a bit like a loan to buy a car ... .....if you have the cash you use it - you don't have a loan

Manchester United have over £25 million to spend, yet bring in Larsson on loan.

Last season Chelsea brought in that Manich(**** how you spell it).

Agreed - but if Darren Bent is the Aston Martin - we know he is available.......The cover has been blown me thinks

Would you pay up to £15m for him? When you see that Kuyt went for £10m and someone like Huntelaar is available I would rather spend it on him. Rather have Nugent for £6m than sign Darren Bent for £12m

Would you pay up to £15m for him? When you see that Kuyt went for £10m and someone like Huntelaar is available I would rather spend it on him. Rather have Nugent for £6m than sign Darren Bent for £12m

I dont know Bent id young and quick and IMO would suit our 4-3-3 system, with Moore and Gabby(or somone else), because he played all last season up front on his own.

To honest though, A) Charlton want £17million for Bent who is also injured atm, B) There is a lot of competition for his signature and lastly and most importantly C) IT IS ONLY THE 6TH OF F***ING JANUARY!

There is still plenty of time to get players. Yes it would hav been nice to have a couple straight away but it doesn't always work like that. Plus if Charlton go down, not only will Bent's price probably drop, but he will also not be (probably anyway) injured for the start of next season. It will be a much, much better financial deal in the summer.

OK - if you would rather have Nugent - wheres the bid ?

If the bids were conducted through the press, I would be concerned that they preferred to be seen to be trying to get a player, rather than actually get him.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with doing business privately and quietly, except that it fuels your apparent suspicion that nothing is happening.

At those prices both Bent and Nugent are over priced.

"Nugent is NOT a £6m player, he's simply not ready, anyone getting him now is getting another Macken" - quote from a PNE ST holder last night to me at football training.

EDIT: (Hit submit too soon)

Followed by - "If anyone wants to pay that for him I'll drive him there myself"

From someone who is a qualified coach and has watched Nugent far more often than any of us, I'm happy to accept his view.

MO'N wants proven Nugent is 'potential'

At those prices both Bent and Nugent are over priced.

"Nugent is NOT a £6m player, he's simply not ready, anyone getting him now is getting another Macken" - quote from a PNE ST holder last night to me at football training.

I don't think they will sell anyway because if they come up (they have a 60% chance of that if he stays) they will get £40m for being up for 1 season. You would have to be mad to sell and risk that payday unless you have someone better lined less! In which case why aren't we after them.

thing is Al, I have seen him play and with pace he has potential, he may not be ready but he has plenty of time to learn.

As we have said we are probably paying double now foe English players and at £3m we would want him, the question is regardless of the money would Nugent make it as a PL forward, does he have the potential ?

If we had put a bid in for Nugent I am pretty sure that:-

1.The press would have picked up on it

2.There would have been a response from Preston

3. MON wouldn't have warned us not expect players before the MANU game is out of the way

People should stop coughing their balls up over prices.

There's a reality to be faced here, and that is that the market has got more expensive again.

With the influx of wealthy owners, such as our own, and the promise of huge TV revenue next season, it is inevitable.

Those that get on with and do business will get the deals, those that faff around over a couple of million will be left behind.

b ut Pat, there is a difference between inflated prices and getting ripped off .....

I am sure this board and MON will not mess around like the previous did (if they did MON would walk) but I reckon once they bid at a price they see as good they will not be conned into paying extra.

The plus side to all this is we have MON a manager most players would want to play for despite our current league position.

He is just like Clough, once a player speaks to him they want to sign

If we had put a bid in for Nugent I am pretty sure that:-

1.The press would have picked up on it

2.There would have been a response from Preston

3. MON wouldn't have warned us not expect players before the MANU game is out of the way

1. The press doesn't pick up on every transfer, only the ones (generally) that the either or the clubs tells about.

2. Preston probably don't want other clubs even thinking that Preston could potentially sell. If they see one club going for a player they want then they will also try to get the player. The more clubs interested the more likely the player will want to leave. It is in Preston's and Villa's best interest to keep it under the hat until an acceptable bid is made, then Preston will probably blurt it so they could try and push the price up.

3. Talks are probably preliminary so it was unlikely to be done before the Man U game. Plus he said "Unlikely" which means there is/was a small chance that a deal would go through. To me this gives the impression that we got things going on behind the scenes that are yet to come to fruition.

So, IMO none of those 3 things would have/n't necessarily happened if we have put in a bid for Nugent. I really think you need to be patience. If we are in the same situation on 1st Feb, then I do think about 99% of Villa fans will be thinking the same as you :winkold: