Jan transfer window - rumours, speculation & suggestions

OnePablo

Whatever happened to us signing Maloney? At one point this seemed like it was a "done deal". Gone very quiet.

From what i gather MON is prepared to wait till summer when he'll be available on a free. Chris Burke could also be in this catogory too.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever happened to us signing Maloney? At one point this seemed like it was a "done deal". Gone very quiet.

The last I heard was that he was recovering from injury. His contract expires in the summer so I'll guess that is when he'll move as he'll get a nicer signing on fee.

In that case it is highly possible that he has sign a pre contractual agreement.

Yes that is possible, I'm not sure whether that would be announced publically or not. Life with his current club might be uncomfortable if it was announced. eg. Beckam/Real Madrid.

On the Carew thread there is talk of Garry O Connor coming in!

Is it only me or is the thought of having a Scottish forward who cant get near the international team a tad bit of a come down!!

Is it only me or is the thought of having a Scottish forward who cant get near the international team a tad bit of a come down!!

I think O'Connor hasn't been in the Scotland squad because Smith wouldn't pick players who played outside the British Isles, which basically is just him.

I think O'Connor hasn't been in the Scotland squad because Smith wouldn't pick players who played outside the British Isles, which basically is just him.

Is he good though?

I vaguely remember O'Connor was in the last squad, but withdrew late in the day because he was unsettled in Moscow. I don't think Walter Smith was very happy about it.

Reason he isnt in the squad is because of this.

After featuring in Scotland's 1-0 victory over France at Hampden Park on 7 October 2006, O'Connor and the rest of the team were given an evening off before reconvening ahead of the trip to Ukraine for another qualifying match. O'Connor failed to rejoin the squad and was axed from the travelling party by manager Walter Smith [1]. O'Connor subsequently issued an apology through his agent without revealing the exact cause of his failure to appear, while Smith's assistant Tommy Burns announced that O'Connor was unlikely to be frozen out of the squad permanently. O'Connor said that his wife was unhappy with life in Moscow and he had decided to stay with her rather than return to training.[2] It was later revealed that O'Connor left the squad as his sister Kerry, a recovering drug addict, had attempted to commit suicide. [3]

Here

Sorry if this has already been reported but I didnt see it in the last 3 pages,

Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill is said to be preparing a £1m bid for Hearts midfielder Paul Hartley (Scottish Sun)

Thoughts?

We wouldn't ...would we?

Saints receive £10m Bale approach

Southampton defender Gareth Bale

Saints boss George Burley is determined to keep Bale

Southampton's resolve to keep Gareth Bale will be tested by an approach to sell the teenager for up to £10m.

BBC Radio Solent say an unnamed club has sounded out Saints on the prospect of selling the 17-year-old Wales star.

Manchester United and Tottenham have had bids rejected for the full-back and boss George Burley insists he will not be sold in the transfer window.

Burley told the Saints website: "At some point Gareth will go but he will be here until the end of the season."

Bale has recently turned down Southampton's offer of a one-year extension to his contract, the most Saints are able to offer a player of his age.

Tottenham are believed to have opened the auction for Bale with a £6m bid, which was rejected.

Saints are then thought to have snubbed Manchester United's £8m offer for Bale, while Liverpool and Newcastle are also thought to be interested.

I know he is going to go at some point but I want to keep him as long as possible

Saints boss George Burley

Burley is desperate to keep Bale, who is a key part of Saints' promotion bid.

He is resigned to losing Bale at some stage but feels the young defender's development would be best served by staying at the Championship club.

The Saints boss feels Bale could learn from Theo Walcott, who has only flirted with first-team football at Arsenal since his £12m move last year.

Walcott played his last game for Southampton almost a year ago to the week at QPR and Burley is determined the 2-0 win at Loftus Road on Saturday will not mark Bale's last appearance in a Southampton shirt.

Burley said: "You can't beat playing regularly for your development and at bigger clubs it is harder to get in the team.

"His parents are very pleased with his progress and feel this is a good place for him to learn his football and the improvement has been there to be seen.

"I know he is going to go at some point but I want to keep him as long as possible."

It couldn't be..could it?