Sportswash! - Let’s oil stare at Manchester City!

ClaretMahoney

30 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Team that spends the most, including by cheating, wins the most.

A true shocker.

Man U spent more than them the past 5 years.

Arsenal prob high on that list too

Edited by Pinebro

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, av1 said:

Almost as sensational as the fact that I’ve never been beaten in a coin toss. I do insist on always calling first and using my own coin which happens to be a double headed coin, but no one can take away my record. 

Rules, f##k em. 

tails.................

damn

10 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Officially they did

Man City had negative net spend last summer.

They are really good at selling players and making profit in big contrast to Man Utd who hold onto average players giving them big contracts.

Prob have some shady commercial deals but in terms of net spend in the transfer window they don't really spend anything more than their competitors.

Edited by Pinebro

7 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Congrats to Josep on winning Manager of the Season again. We all love an underdog story on VillaTalk

Deserves it, surely any manager would have struggled to integrate a mercurial talent like Haaland as well as he has. Tough gig. 

12 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Deserves it, surely any manager would have struggled to integrate a mercurial talent like Haaland as well as he has. Tough gig. 

Should have tried it with Wieghorst.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Pinebro said:

Aim of elite sport is winning trophies.

Therefore whichever manager wins the league has definitely done the best job? May as well get rid of the manager of the season award.

Team of the season? 11 players who played for the champions, obviously.

• Like 2

i mean he is still the best manager in the league isnt he?

the "achievement" is diminished because of the spending but he's still the best manager

unless because of their hatred of man city people seriously consider eddie howe a better manager....they'd be wrong, he's not

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Therefore whichever manager wins the league has definitely done the best job? May as well get rid of the manager of the season award.

but thats then where you get drawn in to comparing toney to haaland and saying toney is better because he got his goals for Brentford

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

the "achievement" is diminished because of the spending but he's still the best manager

unless because of their hatred of man city people seriously consider eddie howe a better manager....they'd be wrong, he's not

That's where I'm at. Maybe Emery has a shot considering he pretty much went toe to toe with the best since his arrival.

I remember when we had Grealish I stopped choosing him for MOTM because he was just the best regardless. 

Maybe it should be 'best performing manager' so that people like Howe had a shot. 

12 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

In my opinion yes.

• Haha 1

Pep achieves minimum expectation with a Premier League title. It's not an ahcievement to get that group of players to finish top of the league. Silva has arguably done a better job relative to resources; which i think is the measure? 

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

The award we're discussing is 'manager of the season', not 'best manager'. In the latter category Guardiola is obviously (and though I hate to say it) out on his own in front, with only Klopp really able to see him ahead. 

But 'manager of the season' needs to take other questions into account, obviously including the scale of the job said manager had to do and how well they achieved it. City didn't get over the 90 point mark and got 4 points fewer than last season, 'only' winning the title by 5 points despite Liverpool being way off it and their main rivals being 'only' Arsenal. Meanwhile he had the chance to sign a literal freak, a guy who's like '99 for everything on FIFA', and was able to watch him break every goalscoring record in sight. 

Obviously he didn't do a bad job. He got some stuff very right, like taking the chance on getting rid of Cancelo and making Ake a left-back and suffering no drop off at all in results as a consequence, but - in PL terms only, ignoring the CL - this was an average City season. 

FWIW, F365 have put Arteta, Howe and Emery (at #1!) ahead of him in their ranking of all managers this season, and I think that's fair enough: https://www.football365.com/news/ranking-all-40-premier-league-managers-lampard-gerrard-howe-emery

• Like 3

George Burley with Ipswich in 00/01, ‘Arry Redknapp with Spurs in 09/10, Pardew with Newcastle in 11/12 and Pulis with Palace 13/14.

Ipswich, Spurs and Newcastle all finished either 4th or 5th in their respective seasons.

Palace finished 11th that season so I can only assume Pulis won it for Crystanbul and the lols it brought.

On 30/05/2023 at 10:50, The_Steve said:

City abusing the homegrown rule to the max. Carson has played what 2 games in two years for them. 

Not really. You don't have to have a certain amount of homegrown players, you just can't have more than a certain amount of non-homegrown players. They could have Carson, or youth, or no one. He doesn't help them pass.

7 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

The award we're discussing is 'manager of the season', not 'best manager'. In the latter category Guardiola is obviously (and though I hate to say it) out on his own in front, with only Klopp really able to see him ahead. 

I dunno, there's definitely an argument for Emery being the best manager in the world.

Â