coda

On 18/12/2023 at 21:46, mikeyp102 said:

Who they want to sell

This is their limitation of their policy. O.k Gallagher is no world beater but Poch seems to like him hence starting him in pretty much every prem game and making him captain recently.

However due to the insane money spent in last two years he's basically their main option to recoup some of that v FFP given his homegrown status. So you're pretty much going against a manager's decision given how dicey the FFP position is getting (and you can't just ignore it given an established prem team has been deducted 10 points).

Would be a bit like us continuing the reckless spending under Slippy for little return and then having to sell Ramsey for 40m +.

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

I genuinely don't see what Enzo offers in any way. 

For 200+ million Fernandez and Caicedo is a pretty woeful partnership. They offer little in creativity or control

Caicedo I said before that he would flop and would be another from the Brighton system that fails elsewhere

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 1

On 20/12/2023 at 21:56, villa4europe said:

Yeah that's what I've never seen before, he's on a 10 year playing contract but the mega money kicks in after he's finished playing 

Wonder how long it will be before someone tries that in football, salah for example at Liverpool, they give him a job for life contract with money spread over the next 20 years but it means in terms of FFP he's relatively low 

Is there anything actually stopping this? You'd have thought Chelsea would've tried it already if not, or they will soon.

33 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think I read 47% win rate for Poch so far. Really poor

Depends what the expectation is for this season. I think around 12-14 teams in the PL usually have a win rate under 50% every season.

Chelsea are 3 points behind Brighton in 7th. They finished 12th last season and are very close to the European places this season, so a decent improvement.

Of course, compared to Abramovich era they are terrible but in the Boehly era they are on par 😀

Was just looking through their manager history; Tuchel was only there 18 months!?

And since Conte, the manager with the best win %? Sarri at 62%. (Conte was 65%).

Edited by kurtsimonw

3 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Depends what the expectation is for this season. I think around 12-14 teams in the PL usually have a win rate under 50% every season.

Chelsea are 3 points behind Brighton in 7th. They finished 12th last season and are very close to the European places this season, so a decent improvement.

Of course, compared to Abramovich era they are terrible but in the Boehly era they are on par 😀

They spent nearly 500 million on transfers on 2023. I think they should be doing slightly better

8 minutes ago, ender4 said:

I think the expectation would have been at least top 6. No way would Boehly accept Villa, Newcastle, West Ham, Brighton finishing above them.

I actually think that most of the players there are very good and, individually,  the majority would thrive if you dropped them into a functional team.

I think as a collective Chelsea are kinda broken however - too many players to form a cohesive supportive atmosphere, expectation levels and an overrated manager combined make it a dysfunctional club

Its the opposite to what Villa have done where they streamlined the squad, brought in a proven coaching team, managed expectations from the fans, and of course have the best manager in the world who improves rather than stifles players

Give Emery any single player from Chelseas squad and no only would he be able to get them functioning in the Villa team but would improve them as players

I think mostly the opposite. A collection of overrated hype jobs that have shown real minimal quality, and not even just from a tactical stand point. They can't do the basics of football.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

I think mostly the opposite. A collection of overrated hype jobs that have shown real minimal quality, and not even just from a tactical stand point. They can't do the basics of football.

The basics of football is that it is a team sport. And Boehly applied individual stats to this , without once thinking about blending the youth with experience and most importantly heart. They have none. They dont care about winning because they lose so much. They arent playing for their futures because their futures are secured. A culture of win at all costs has been ripped up and replaced with a modern culture of try your best but its ok if you don't win because its a project and everything will be ok in the future. And its going to destroy them. 

3 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

The basics of football is that it is a team sport. And Boehly applied individual stats to this , without once thinking about blending the youth with experience and most importantly heart. They have none. They dont care about winning because they lose so much. They arent playing for their futures because their futures are secured. A culture of win at all costs has been ripped up and replaced with a modern culture of try your best but its ok if you don't win because its a project and everything will be ok in the future. And its going to destroy them. 

By basics I mean carrying a ball, a first touch, etc. Watching Mudryk fall over the ball trying to run with it or Gallagher mis-controlling a pass to an opponent is not at all tactical. But I do agree otherwise.

Edited by kurtsimonw
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

The basics of football is that it is a team sport. And Boehly applied individual stats to this , without once thinking about blending the youth with experience and most importantly heart. They have none. 

I guess kind of like Villa did in the old bad days when we bought Ross McCormack, Scott Hogan, etc.   Or when we bought Ireland, Richards, Lescott, etc.

2 hours ago, ender4 said:

I guess kind of like Villa did in the old bad days when we bought Ross McCormack, Scott Hogan, etc.   Or when we bought Ireland, Richards, Lescott, etc.

I was going to say the same thing. The difference is Chelsea have all their players they've bought on crazy long contracts. Some of our buys weren't great (in terms of contracts and length/money), and we were relegated/in the championship when that was going on.

Â