coda

I still don't really get why they ripped up a team that finished top 4 and recently won a CL to replace it with a load of gambles. Sure the likes of Kante were getting older and probably needed replacing but they pretty much have a new squad. I understand they're going for young players with potential but they're not guaranteed to reach it and there doesn't seem enough experience around them (Silva excepted). For £1BN I would have expected a much higher calibre of player too. Now it might all come good eventually but you can't say it isn't a huge gamble.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villan95 said:

I still don't really get why they ripped up a team that finished top 4 and recently won a CL to replace it with a load of gambles. Sure the likes of Kante were getting older and probably needed replacing but they pretty much have a new squad. I understand they're going for young players with potential but they're not guaranteed to reach it and there doesn't seem enough experience around them (Silva excepted). For £1BN I would have expected a much higher calibre of player too. Now it might all come good eventually but you can't say it isn't a huge gamble.

An element of it works in Football Manager therefore it must work in real life. I really hope they fail again this season.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

An element of it works in Football Manager therefore it must work in real life. I really hope they fail again this season.

Yep that's exactly what I think when I look at their signings.

2 hours ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

I, for one, am delighted to see a football team taking the same approach I do in Football Manager.

(Albeit, they're spending a ridiculous amount on youngsters whereas I scout out the best talent from Colombia/Uruguay... but it's close, right?)

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I can say without any shadow of a doubt, if emery had the same financial backing (and utter discontent to the rules) we would be well ahead of Chelsea 

We already are

13 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I think they willfinish h above us this season.  If we didnt have europe i think we would have otherwise.

Unless we of course exit early then i woild fancy our chances

Can't see it tbh, losing Chuck is a big knock to their first team.......

• Like 1

They've just bought another player - a keeper from the MLS.

Is the American that owns them actually stupid enough to be pouring in his own money? Or is he leveraging them with a ton of debt? 

I would love to see them go bankrupt and be bought for £1 by Ken Bates again.

6 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

They've just bought another player - a keeper from the MLS.

Is the American that owns them actually stupid enough to be pouring in his own money? Or is he leveraging them with a ton of debt? 

I would love to see them go bankrupt and be bought for £1 by Ken Bates again.

Bankrolled by Saudi?

• Sad 1

On 21/08/2023 at 11:54, villan95 said:

It’s a very good point, instead of adding to that team and evolving it they basically started again at the cost of 1bn +, can’t say it’s that surprising it’s failed miserably so far.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

It’s a very good point, instead of adding to that team and evolving it they basically started again at the cost of 1bn +, can’t say it’s that surprising it’s failed miserably so far.

Clearly run by someone who doesn’t understand football. 

14 minutes ago, Genie said:

Clearly run by someone who doesn’t understand football. 

Feels like they’ve got tunnel vision with regards to the financial side without any thought for how you motivate 20 players all on 8 year contracts.

On 21/08/2023 at 16:47, Demitri_C said:

I think they willfinish h above us this season.  If we didnt have europe i think we would have otherwise.

Unless we of course exit early then i woild fancy our chances

I honestly don't think they will. They have bought a collection of players with a lot of potential, but few are the finished article. They are assuming that they will all progress at the same rate and at the same time. It's pretty unheard of that you can effectively buy an entirely new team and have them click straight away. There's no continuity (only a couple of players remain from 2 years ago) and it takes time to create team spirit and club culture. The whole thing is an experiment, an outlandish bet and I think it's more likely that it all blows up in Todd Boehly's face.

Â