London 2012 Olympic Games

maqroll

A 17 year old kid has been arrested for tweeting to Tom Daily that "You let your dad down i hope you know that."

WTF is going on at the moment when you have have the police banging on your door in the early hours and hauled down to the police station for saying that?

Isn't this the kind of police heavy handedness you read about in books about life behind the iron curtain?

A 17 year old kid has been arrested for tweeting to Tom Daily that "You let your dad down i hope you know that."

WTF is going on at the moment when you have have the police banging on your door in the early hours and hauled down to the police station for saying that?

Isn't this the kind of stuff you read about in books about life behind the iron curtain?

I am not sure he got arrested for that. I think it was the death threat he sent after that something like "I'm gonna drown you" etc.

I had a heated debate on Twitter last night on this. The kid is obviously an idiot. But would the initial tweet have been highlighted if Daley was 23 stone and ugly?

I also didn't like the way Daley Retweeted a lot of abuse back at the kid. He used his image and fame to orchestrate and revenge bully a clearly idiotic 17 year old kid who tried to look hard.

I think Daley should have just have just been professional, kept his council and reported it to the proper authorities.

This kid may now get away with it because he could say he cracked because of the intense abuse he was receiving from a section of Daley's 600k+ followers.

Isn't this the kind of stuff you read about in books about life behind the iron curtain?

I am not sure he got arrested for that. I think it was the death threat he sent after that something like "I'm gonna drown you" etc.

I had a heated debate on Twitter last night on this. The kid is obviously an idiot. But would the initial tweet have been highlighted if Daley was 23 stone and ugly?

I also didn't like the way Daley Retweeted a lot of abuse back at the kid. He used his image and fame to orchestrate and revenge bully a clearly idiotic 17 year old kid who tried to look hard.

I think Daley should have just have just been professional, kept his council and reported it to the proper authorities.

This kid may now get away with it because he could say he cracked because of the intense abuse he was receiving from a section of Daley's 600k+ followers.

The real problem for that young man will come after his first "apology" where he then went on to call Daley a word removed several times and threaten to drown him.

Isn't this the kind of police heavy handedness you read about in books about life behind the iron curtain?

I think it was because his father has recently passed away.

I'm not sure the timeline full of racism and abuse would have helped the kid's cause

Agreed. The kid is an idiot and an absolute waster.

I just think Daley could have handled himself better. I think he was well within his rights to RT the comment. But the stuff afterwards was uncomfortable to me.

Like I said in the Terry thread, everybody is acting like kids in the playground, and social media are putting it in our faces.

It cannot be policed in any sensible way short of banning social media, which ain't gonna happen any time soon.

Like I said in the Terry thread, everybody is acting like kids in the playground, and social media are putting it in our faces.

It cannot be policed in any sensible way short of banning social media, which ain't gonna happen any time soon.

I agree Mike.

This playground mentality is something which seems to have flooded in especially in the last 2 years. It seems harder to reason with people nowadays and every discussion seems to end with who or which group shouts the loudest. Cliques and groups seem to demand everyone to think the same and if someone doesn't they are derided.

I am worried social media will erode the ability for people to think for themselves.

I wasn't sure where I should post this, so I was pleased to see the Daley subject has already come up on this thread.

I just can't see why posting that Daley let down his dad, dead or otherwise, constitutes a crime.

I have stated many times on this site, I do not think the law should get involved in such matters... and that goes for racist abuse as well.

I firmly believe that those who engage in such behaviour, end up doing more harm to themselves, than to the targets of their abuse... such is the way of the world.

Those scaremongers who, years ago, campaigned for freedom of speech, may soon see their worst fears become reality. 'If freedom is not complete it is not freedom' (Eamon de Valera, or possibly Michael Collins).

It's Andy Warhol's prediction "In future everybody will be famous for fifteen minutes" come true.

Throughout history, any **** could stand outside a pub and shout rude words at anybody within earshot. Nobody took much notice, and rightly so.

But now they can shout the same rude words at CELEBRITIES, and be seen to do it by EVERYBODY IN THE WORLD. The temptation is clearly irresistable. Look at me! Look at me!

We should stop looking at them. Sadly, we won't.

Did you have to sit through the 90 odd minutes of the Korean appeal ?

No - luckily I had the earlier session tickets (10:30 - 16:00). Looking at it this morning, I think the Korean was very hard done by.

Saw 10 bouts of fights with 4 fights happening simultaneously. Was brilliant stuff and great value for money (£30). The eventual winner had all her fights in front of me :)

By the way, If you don't mind paying around £100- 200 for tickets, there are a fair few tickets on the London 2012 website for sale in that price range for a variety of sports.

I'm still scouring for cheaper last minute bargains.

The problem with 'this kind of thing' is that it appears to moving away from a sensible state of reasoning.

Initially, it was only the most brutal of comments that would be picked up by the police, but very slowly, the grey area is starting to widen and it's difficult to see where this is going to end. Where do you draw the line between acceptable and non acceptable abuse?

If I went and called Daley a C***, would I get away with it? probably.

If I told Daley I'd trip him up if I ever saw him, I'd probably get away with it.

But what If I told him I wanted to punch him in the face?

I do not understand who is deciding what constitutes right and wrong in these matters.

As mentioned above, AJ. Most likely the death threat was what the kid was arrested for.

My apologies.. I missed that... though I'm pretty sure it was not mentioned in the BBC/Yahoo news item I read.

... but even so, are the police now going to chase around after every idiot whose behaviour is abusive or threatening? I'd rather they helped old people cross the road.

I like mjmooney's point about every idiot can be famous for 15 minutes... there has to be a better way of dealing with this.

yeah, I'm not saying it was right or wrong. And it's only a guess, I don't think anyone knows for sure. BUt an educated guess would say it was probably that tweet that mattered more to the police.

Not sure who thought it was a good idea to have the ladies playing Beach Volleyball at 11.00 last night and so suprisingly not in their usual beachwear.

Still enjoyed watching the Czech ladies though

kolocova-slukova-hala.jpg

Â