London 2012 Olympic Games

maqroll

It's just a couple of people trying to boot each other in the chest and largely failing.

I used to do a bit of kickboxing and used to spar with a UK taekwando champion, at first I was dazzled at how good he was at head kicks but I quite quickly learnt that if punched him hard in the head there wasn't much he could do. It's boxing with your legs, in real terms it's ineffective as a martial art but is incredibly skillful. More gymnastic than combative at Olympic level.

I made a similar post a few pages back. A good friend of mine has done TKD since he was a kid and has 20+ years experience in the sport now, he has been all around the world with it and taught it to others. He **** hates Olympic TKD as it is essentially a different sport/martial art to the one he practices. There are no grabs or throws and hardly any punches in Olympic TKD, and that pisses him off greatly and he is confident he could flatten pretty much anybody who practices Olympic TKD in a fight because they are training to prance around and kick more than fight.

Still happy that we won a gold yesterday obviously, but its not really TKD.

Oh, and the relay thing. I quite like the thinly veiled dig at them from the commentary there, pointing out that Team GB have a 100% failure to finish rate at all levels (junior and senior, male and female) of the relay in major competitions in 2012. Not good enough.

I think there is a large element of luck in the BMX. You are constantly on the edge of wiping out and often its not really your fault. To win you have to be bloody good, have good fortune and have a complete disregard for personal safety. The guys that do it are mental.

Wow, USA smash a 27 year old world record in the 4x100m relay. East Germany wiped from the record books forever. (unless the **** start another world war of course)

I agree there is a lot of luck in the BMX, but it is important to note the Colombian female whose name I cannot remember won all her semi finals and the final, so skill is important too.

As for the 4 x 100 relay, I am glad the East German record has gone. They were blatantly on something, 15 years later they look like men.

Russia win the women's hammer throw. **** it, I hate it when the Russians win.

I presume it was with the throw which the BBC dismissed as "could be better" because it was near the line when in fact it smashed the Olympic record?

Oh, and mens 4 x 400 relay was amazing. GB made it round! Finished 4th but the race between USA and Bahamas for gold and silver was thrilling to watch. USA winning all the way round before being blown away down the final 100m by the Bahamas sprinter. Love it when the tiny countries win. :D

The 18 year old Cuban boxer Ramirez Carrazana is pretty **** good, easily beat Conlan. He's going to be big.

Cubans cant/dont turn pro though. I think they have to defect if they want to turn pro, and they tend not to do that. I think they are seen as national heroes back home and are treated "more equally" than everybody else. I mean, how great could Mario Kindelan have been if he had gone pro? Certainly a millionaire and world champion, but they just dont want to do it over there. Bloody commies. :P

Â