Relegation - Merged

Amo69

I laughed at the mention of relegation a couple of months back, but I too believe it to be a realistic possiblilty now.

The day McLeish was appointed it became a very real possibility.

Why did you laugh a few months ago?

Did you believe that Villa were immune?

Ok, maybe I didn't laugh, but I dismissed it on account of the players we had, and the shiteness of the teams below us, and at one point I truly thought we'd turned a corner and started to improve.

So no, I didn't think Villa were immune, it would be arrogant to think like that.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I laughed at the mention of relegation a couple of months back, but I too believe it to be a realistic possiblilty now.

The day McLeish was appointed it became a very real possibility.

Why did you laugh a few months ago?

Did you believe that Villa were immune?

Ok, maybe I didn't laugh, but I dismissed it on account of the players we had, and the shiteness of the teams below us, and at one point I truly thought we'd turned a corner and started to improve.

So no, I didn't think Villa were immune, it would be arrogant to think like that.

Just wondered.

For what its worth I don't actually think we will go down because, like you say, of the shiteness of the teams below us.

It could be rather close though and from the day McLeish was appointed I never ruled out the possibility because no matter how good the players are a really poor manager can inflict untold damage.

Wolves have accumulated 14 points from their last 22games, what's going to change that will mean they will get 8 points more than us from their remaining games which include Newcastle, Arsenal Man Utd and Man City. Bolton have virtually the same fixtures as we do, why are they going to get 9 more points than us. Wigan have to play Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, Man Utd and Newcastle. Why are they going to get more points from those games than us. They're not, there's no chance of us going down.

Wolves have accumulated 14 points from their last 22games, what's going to change that will mean they will get 8 points more than us from their remaining games which include Newcastle, Arsenal Man Utd and Man City. Bolton have virtually the same fixtures as we do, why are they going to get 9 more points than us. Wigan have to play Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, Man Utd and Newcastle. Why are they going to get more points from those games than us. They're not, there's no chance of us going down.

You could be right. Thank heaven for the bloke who put the fixture list together. If we stay up I might just buy him a beer.

Wish I shared your optimisum mate, football is a funny old game. Things never work out as they should :(

For me it is not as clear cut as relegation or not. Relegation, in my opinion, can be a fine dividing line. Goal difference can get you relegated. The point is that AVFC, again in my opinion, should not even be in the mix. It is possibly a very arrogant and highly opinionated view to hold I admit but we are VILLA and therefore I, rightly or wrongly, expect better.

If we just about avoid relegation, albeit by a few points and places, it won't change my ultimate view that this season is an unmitigated disaster. Relegation will be just a symptom of the disease but the disease will still be with us if we avoid it.

I hope that all makes some sort of sense. It is rather late in the day!

To be honest, I really don't think we are in the relegation mix so there is no need to panic.

Obviously things could change. We could go on a disastrous run and one of Wolves, Blackburn or QPR could suddenly start beating the top ten clubs they largely have to face in the run in.

If those things did happen, then would be the time to panic and start creating threads like this. There are no grounds for it now.

We've had a poor run and have taken only 9 points from the last 10 games but even if we got no better we would still get 11 or 12 points from our remaining 13 games.

That would give us 39/40 points, meaning one of QPR Blackburn or Wolves would need 19 or 20 from their remaining 13 games. The way things are now, that is not on the cards.

This is the way I looked at it also. These teams who are 8, 9 and 10 points below are not just going to suddenly get 9 points more then us from now to the end of the season. I think 1 may go on a bit of a good run, but not all of them. And as I said before, alot of the bottom 5 still have to play eachother too. They can not both get 3 points. I think the team down there that should be most worried is QPR. Despite the money they have still to play. Man City, Man United, Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool. Probably the 6 best teams in the country. On the last day they go away to Man City.

Like someone said, football is a funny old game

Circumstances of some of the top teams towards the end of the season will influence results ie. CL place already secured, team hits beach early

I don't like the look of our last few games, it has a bad smell about it

We wont get relegated, our football and form has been poor and we still have more points than games. Its difficult to predict games with Villa at the moment but there will always be surprise results that go both ways like Swansea at home and Chelsea away. That said I do think we will finish on our lowest points total since the prem began and that is just not good enough.

You could be right. Thank heaven for the bloke who put the fixture list together. If we stay up I might just buy him a beer.

Have you seen our fixtures Pacbuddies???

Other than the next four matches - we're in for a torrid run in to the season. If we do not capitalise on the next 4 games, we're truly in the crap.

I dont personally think we will go down .... for most of the reason mentioned above....

HOWEVER

Im sure the blues fans and players were saying exactly the same last year after their cup win .....

Did the manager get them to focus on get the 1 extra point or whatever it was?

Lets hope he has learned from his mistakes ......