Relegation - Merged

Amo69

Stride left on his own accord, he wasn't pushed.

Point taken, but it still doesn't change the fact that he was never replaced by someone who knew English football and knew the club. We're being run by a guy who was working in an American bank just a few years ago, and people wonder why we've become a shambles from top to bottom.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lerner want to be relegated, he still has much respect for the history of the club .

Lerner has respect for the club? Laughable.

No, he does, I think your comment is short term memory based, perhaps. The murals on the Holte, though they have nothing to do with playing on the pitch, show he does respect the history. As does bringing back the 81/82 side for that Sheff Utd game, as do many things. Just because he's appointed a coupe of duff managers and the team is losing doesn't mean he doesn't "get" the history or appreciate or respect it. Quite the opposite.

Yes I'm sure he did all that because he loves our club and history and nothing to do with gaining good faith with the fans.

Interesting that you consider some PR moves evidence of how much he cares and ignore the last two years of actual football.

Lerner want to be relegated, he still has much respect for the history of the club .

Lerner has respect for the club? Laughable.

No, he does, I think your comment is short term memory based, perhaps. The murals on the Holte, though they have nothing to do with playing on the pitch, show he does respect the history. As does bringing back the 81/82 side for that Sheff Utd game, as do many things. Just because he's appointed a coupe of duff managers and the team is losing doesn't mean he doesn't "get" the history or appreciate or respect it. Quite the opposite.

Far point, I've never sat down with him so I have to get him some benefit of the doubt. I just don't understand how someone with our best interests at heart can appoint someone with such a history of relegation and accept the results and performances of this season

We are knackered - Last Season needing a draw in last game Mcliesh played defensively. Even near the end when they looked like they were going down he played one up front and put on a defender as a sub. He just doesnt know how to go for it.

We need a result liek Chelsea away which was totally out of the blue.

What Randy Lerner has created at Villa Park is horrifying. A football club devoid of any ambition, who are content to simply exist in the Premier League.

It’s an awful reality for the fans, and to be charged to watch that team amounts to a mugging. From the moment Alex McLeish was appointed, everybody should’ve known what was coming next – this is a managerial Grim Reaper; wherever he goes relegation becomes a threat. Winning trophies in the two-team league north of the border doesn’t count, McLeish has nothing on his footballing CV that qualifies him to manage a club of this size.

“**** off McLeish, the Villa is ours” sang the home support in the second city last night, and they’re right. The analogy with this club, is of a hotel shutting down for the winter and putting a skeleton staff in charge, with the hope that nothing goes wrong. McLeish is the caretaker, dour and under-skilled, given a job that nobody else really wanted.

If Randy Lerner succeeds with this type of scaling back, then it creates a template for other sides in the leage – ie. you don’t have to compete, you just need to exist and pick up the cheque. It’s an insult to the fans and to the game, because it’s first and foremost a spectator sport – but yet, Villa are behaving like a bankruptcy-threatened company. It’s Randy Lerner’s obligation to put a team on the pitch who do justice to the fans that pay their wages, not to just ‘do the best we can with what we’ve got’. This is a proud football club with a great set of fans and a famous stadium, and between them, Lerner and McLeish are turning it into a laughing-stock.

If Villa go down, which looking at the fixture list appears plausible, it will serve as a warning for any other club owner who tries this approach. For the fans you would feel desperately sorry, but it would be for the greater good. Slashing your wage bill, replacing your best players with kids, and hoping that nobody notices is not a way to run a a Premier League team – and relegation would ultimately prove that. Randy Lerner should be told this: if you’re not willing or able to compete in this league, then sell-up to somebody that is – because all he’s doing at the moment is taking advantage of the fan’s loyalty.

McLeish has the ‘full support of the board’ does he? That says it all.

Why we should hope Villa get relegated

I couldn't see anything directly related to our end of season run in so thought I'd include it all in here. With Wolves already being relegated it's down to five teams:

QPR vs

Chelsea (A)

Stoke (H)

Man City (A)

Bolton vs

Sunderland (A)

Tottenham (H)

West Brom (H)

Stoke (A)

Wigan vs

Newcastle (H)

Blackburn (A)

Wolves (H)

Blackburn vs

Tottenham (A)

Wigan (H)

Chelsea (A)

Aston Villa vs

West Brom (A)

Tottenham (H)

Norwich (A)

Based on the above fixtures, I'd like to think it's QPR and Blackburn that will be going down as they appear to have the harder run ins. However football is a funny game and let's face it, our form stinks!

What's the Villa faithful thoughts on the above?

#SqueakyBumTime!

I just did my point predictor (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/predictor/default.stm) and we survived. I think Bolton could catch us, and Wigan (the way they're playing they could beat Barca... erm... Madrid.. erm... Chelsea? :P )

The Wigan/Blackburn game is huge for us, as well as them. A draw would be brilliant.

I'd be looking at QPR, Blackburn and Wolves to go down.

Considering Chelsea will now be throwing all their eggs in the CL basket so to speak, they may not be such a daunting task for blackburn and QPR.

It really is 50/50 for me.

I reckon Wigan 38Pts

QPR 37Pts

Bolton 36Pts

B'burn 33Pts

So we need a win or 2 draws, how we get them I haven't clue, but Saturday would be a good start. It's going to the wire, Norwich away is going to be a stressful couple of hours.

I think we've now reached a tipping point. I don't think there's any coming back for Eck now. I think it's only a matter of time before he's gone. Very much sooner rather than later. In one week the landscape has massively changed. It has gone from being solely a vocal minority to being an angry majority coupled with a distinct turn in media focus and an O/S statement which at the very least proves it's now on their radar. Short of between 7-9pts from the run-in I think he's gone this summer. Let's just hope the next guy will be planning for a Premier League season.

I think we've now reached a tipping point. I don't think there's any coming back for Eck now. I think it's only a matter of time before he's gone. Very much sooner rather than later. In one week the landscape has massively changed. It has gone from being solely a vocal minority to being an angry majority coupled with a distinct turn in media focus and an O/S statement which at the very least proves it's now on their radar. Short of between 7-9pts from the run-in I think he's gone this summer. Let's just hope the next guy will be planning for a Premier League season.

Can the board afford to pay him off? I assume he was singned up for more than 1 season?

Can the board afford to pay him off? I assume he was singned up for more than 1 season?

He was signed up for 3 years and yes it would cost money. But yes, they can afford it. They'd obviously rather not have to pay him off but the alternative is far more costly. They've already shown they're willing to put their hand in their pocket when their backs are against the wall (Darren Bent) so this will be another example of that.

Put it this way. If keeping McLeish means relegation and an empty stadium then the question becomes 'Can the board afford not to pay him off?'