Relegation - Merged

Amo69

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We could hire a young, progressive, football minded manager. The kind that most on here dismissed when we were looking for a manager, but would now welcome over McLeish.

The kind of manager that we should have hired at the end of the 2008 season.........

...but then I have always been a Martinez fan.

The saddest indictment of all is the fact that some are genuinely now talking about relegation as not being the disaster that it once was. Using Newcastle as the example. Scary times.

As devastated, angry and sad as i'd be, it's part of football and many, many fans each year go through this. Yes, in the modern era we haven't suffered it much but if we go down, we'll deserve to, because of terrible board decisions and inept management - just like Leeds, Newcastle and Forest in recent times, you just carry on.

If I can pick any positives out of it, we might actually win a few games again. This club hasn't won anywhere near enough games in recent times and it has an incredible air or boringness and a defeatist attitude which needs to be removed. We need a winning mentality. We can clear the squad of useless, overpaid players and give the kids a real challenge to develop in a very competitive league - for what it's worth I think the likes of Baker, Clark, Weimann, Lichaj, Herd, Delph, Carruthers, Johnson, Bannan and Albrighton would be excellent Championship players. I think the sale of Bent could recoup a fair bit of Prem TV money missed out on and we'd just get on with it.

Problem is, If it did happen, I'm not sure our board would have the first clue what the best strategy to come back up would be. They'd just be stunned and make more ridiculous decisions.

Is it run around, panic & shit yourself time yet
No, not yet. The next few days are key though.

Win on Saturday and we're virtually safe. We can focus our attention on getting McLeish out.

If we draw, relegation is still a threat but it gives us a bit of breathing space.

If we lose, hold on to your butts.

Of course a lot of this depends on other results. If our relegation rivals all lose this weekend then even a loss to Sunderland won't damage our chances of staying up too much.

ORLY!?
Technically. Think about it, the gap would stay the same yet there'd be one less game to play. I'm not for a minute suggesting if we lose it doesn't matter, I'm just saying that if our relegation rivals all lose as well it's not too bad as far as the relegation battle is concerned.

ORLY!?
Technically. Think about it, the gap would stay the same yet there'd be one less game to play. I'm not for a minute suggesting if we lose it doesn't matter, I'm just saying that if our relegation rivals all lose as well it's not too bad as far as the relegation battle is concerned.
tumblr_m2dysm3I3s1qh0yhxo2_500.jpg

not living in brum im not surrounded by villa fans who could share my sorrow. i am dreading the months of abuse ill get from the plastic spurs, arsenal, man u and liverpool fans i work with already. i think we need to win both next games to stay up as think we'll lose the last 3 and the other clubs around us will prob have a freak result or 2 in them

my prediction is that in typical villa style, we will go on a little bit of a run. finishing the season strongly and in a respectable position, completely glossing over the fact that yet again we have gone perilously close to relegation. This will allow Mcleish another season, randy another summer of non investment.

my prediction is that in typical villa style, we will go on a little bit of a run. finishing the season strongly and in a respectable position, completely glossing over the fact that yet again we have gone perilously close to relegation. This will allow Mcleish another season, randy another summer of non investment.
Can't see it myself. Even last season we'd already hit a good bit of form by this stage. We were already on 40 points this time last season. Under McLeish there has been no such thing as good form for us. Every time we win we go out and lose dismally in the next game. This could go right down to the wire.

Can't see it myself. Even last season we'd already hit a good bit of form by this stage. We were already on 40 points this time last season. Under McLeish there has been no such thing as good form for us. Every time we win we go out and lose dismally in the next game. This could go right down to the wire.

Agree.

the only little run i could see is 3 draws.

I actually think Saturday is crunch time. Loose that and I expect us to buckle under the pressure of the Bolton Game.

Win v sunderland and that will probably be enough