Relegation - Merged

Amo69

We are too good to get relegated.

West Ham fans said the same.

That means nothing. No-one agreed with those WHU fans. They had a talented bunch of kids with a very soft centre who had no leadership and could be played around by anyone physical. We are not a soft touch. We've goals up front, a solid enough defence, leadership in the middle and exciting youth that; you'd have to say; is being used intelligently and sparingly. So just because this one time, someone said something that bit them on the ass, doesn't mean that happens to everyone all the time. If we compare the 2 sides, there are few things we share.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At times Houllier had to field 7 or 8 youngsters at the same time.

:shock: when was this? I'd struggle to think of any league game when we fielded more than 3 or 4.

I seem to remeber us playing Baker, Hogg, Allbrighton, Clark, Bannan, Herd and Delph under Houllier.

I may be wrong though but I think the previous poster was right though I think that was only once or twice. certainly we had to play about 4 at a time for some games which did not help.

Injuries were really bad under Houllier though, the worst for many seasons. McLeish does not have that excuse.

The more I watch Villa the more I understand why Houllier wanted to get rid of Dunne, Collins and Warnock and rebulid the defence. Apart from Dunne this season the back four have not been good enough for me

So, as opposed to the other week when we played Guzan, Clark, Bannan, Alby, Gardner and brought on Weimann.

As said, it seems to me people just cannot see any good in McLeish, no matter what the facts say.

By the way, talking of that, again, why do people just post the negatives.

All I hear is McLeish took the Blues down twice and finished 3rd with Rangers in a two horse race.

What I never hear is that he won the cup with Blues, got Motherwell to 2nd, thus getting a smaller side to finish 2nd in what is apparently a two horse race, won two leagues, two Scottish cups and 3 league cups with Rangers, and had a very credible record as international manager for Scotland, in which he beat France away and only lost out on a world cup place by losing a decider with Italy (who then went on to be losing finalists).

So considering this guy has got no footballing brain - gotta say, he must be a genius to achieve that lot.

Just remember, Redknapp got relegated with West Ham and Southampton, and most on here last year were slagging him off for playing dour, hoof ball to Crouch's head.

hmmm............

Everything at the club smacks as being mid table, from the board to the players. The only thing that doesn't is the manager who smacks as lower mid table at best. Considering he is the one controlling the playing side, that is a huge worry. Too good to go down? Not by a long shot.

What Trickie said.

At times Houllier had to field 7 or 8 youngsters at the same time.

:shock: when was this? I'd struggle to think of any league game when we fielded more than 3 or 4.

I seem to remeber us playing Baker, Hogg, Allbrighton, Clark, Bannan, Herd and Delph under Houllier.

I may be wrong though but I think the previous poster was right though I think that was only once or twice. certainly we had to play about 4 at a time for some games which did not help.

Injuries were really bad under Houllier though, the worst for many seasons. McLeish does not have that excuse.

The more I watch Villa the more I understand why Houllier wanted to get rid of Dunne, Collins and Warnock and rebulid the defence. Apart from Dunne this season the back four have not been good enough for me

So, as opposed to the other week when we played Guzan, Clark, Bannan, Alby, Gardner and brought on Weimann.

As said, it seems to me people just cannot see any good in McLeish, no matter what the facts say.

By the way, talking of that, again, why do people just post the negatives.

All I hear is McLeish took the Blues down twice and finished 3rd with Rangers in a two horse race.

What I never hear is that he won the cup with Blues, got Motherwell to 2nd, thus getting a smaller side to finish 2nd in what is apparently a two horse race, won two leagues, two Scottish cups and 3 league cups with Rangers, and had a very credible record as international manager for Scotland, in which he beat France away and only lost out on a world cup place by losing a decider with Italy (who then went on to be losing finalists).

So considering this guy has got no footballing brain - gotta say, he must be a genius to achieve that lot.

Just remember, Redknapp got relegated with West Ham and Southampton, and most on here last year were slagging him off for playing dour, hoof ball to Crouch's head.

hmmm............

He did okay at Motherwell but he also took Hibs from 3rd in the SPL to League 1

He did have some success at Rangers but that is not exactly difficult in footballing terms especailly when you inherit a decent team. After he started to mould his own team then it went tits up.

While at Rangers yes he did finish 3rd and holds the record for the longest ever winless streak in old firm games.

A lot more downs than ups for me and overall I would say he is not as good as his old pal Sir Alex Ferguson makes out.

Yesterday will have shattered all confidence again

I expect a point at best v QPR then another loss at St James Park which will drag us back into the mire

It really is bad times when QPR at home is a game that you think we will get a point from.

I admire your optimism, thats a point more than I think we will get :lol:

Can bet Mark Hughes will have QPR fired up against us.

Wins are like hens teeth under McLeish - 6 in 22 league games .

So going from his dismal win % record he wont win another game for a while.

A draw is best i expect against QPR.

As for relegation .

No not even this relegation expert could manage that with us yet.

We're just bumble along in the dunces half in the league going nowhere.

He could very well relegate us next season tho .

Relegation is still very much on for us. McLeish tends to do his "best" work February to May :lol:

How many points did Blues get last season after Feb? Wasnt it about 10 or something like that.

On paper the team he had a blues should not have gone down which is very worrying.

I am prepared to be panicking for the remainder of the season

I expect a first major trophy win at Wembley in their 135 year history made the players take their 'eyes off the ball' for a few weeks and before they knew it they were in trouble and panicked. Our players made sure we don't have the same distraction for the rest of the season during the second half yesterday!

McLeish hasnt had the injuries that Houllier had ???

So Bent didn;t miss a month , Given didn't miss five weeks, we didn't sign Jenas only for him to crock himself for a year, we didn't lose Lichaj for 4 months, or Herd for two, or Collins for what seems like every other week, or heskey for 3 months...............shall I go on or leave it at that.

God, I know he isn;t Jose Mourinho, but some of the criticism put his way is ridiculous :bang:

He hasn't had half the injuries Houllier had.

That said, I'm not going to blame him for any injuries that we do have, as they aren't his fault. However, given that he hasn't had many injury problems that can't really be used as an excuse either.

Having lost our two most creative players, hired a manager not known for his attacking/creative football and tournicaded our finances, it's no surprise we're playing poor football and conceding each week, whilst creating few chances.

And yet we have conceded less, scored more and have more points than this time last season.

We're not too good to go down. And the same goes for a good many of the sides outside the top five or six.

At present we're just a mediocre also-ran, picking up the odd necessary points to ensure we scrape through, whilst underacheiving in spectacular fashion. But we will be there next season because we are not alone.

Its next season which gives me cause for concern.

Its every season that gives me cause for concern because we are not learning anything and nothing is changing.... as the old saying goes "we have changed the bowler, but we havn't changed the bowling"