2012 Africa Cup of Nations

TRS-T

theyve decided to go from even numbers to odd so its 2 in 2 years

not a great start, 2 average games, one in front of a 30% full stadium

hard to judge tournament seeing as most of us say its great if cape verde do well purely on the basis that we dont know where the **** that is...

I have a soft spot for Ethiopia and it was great to see them come back from a goal down with ten men against Zambia, especially being at the cup finals for the first time in three decades.

Yes the commentary on Eurosport is pretty awful, made worse by the fact that they seem to have turned down the volume of the crowd atmosphere and it sounds like they are commentating from a studio halfway across the world.

Which they possibly are.

Seen a bit the other day on Eurosport and the stadium was empty. I don't know whether this was down to the prices or apathy.

I don't think the average African football fan can afford cable television let alone tickets, plane and hotel fare.

Come on Cape Verde!

The problem they are going to have is that TV wants full stadiums. You can't hype a tournament played in empty grounds and you will struggle to sell something you can't hype. In the medium term pricing the locals out will affect the value of the TV rights, certainly the overseas rights.

What I caught of the Morocco/Cape Verde game between nipping in and out of the room was really good yesterday.  Surprisingly entertaining, in fact, end-to-end stuff at times and some half-decent football being played.

Edited by GarethRDR

• 2 weeks later...

Crazy scenes in the semi between Burkina Faso and Ghana. BK have just had their best player of the tournament sent off. Second yellow, this one for a dive in the box, during the last couple of mins of extra time. Except it wasn't a dive. It was the most clear foul of a player in the box you will ever see. Gone to pens now. Nigeria won the other semi earlier

And yes I am flicking between about 5 matches at the mo ^_^

Well done to Burkina Faso, but so gutted for them and Pitroipa in particular. If that ref wasn't on the take......... I dont know. He was SOOO blatantly biased towards Ghana. Blatant penalty for Burkina Faso after about 5 mins not given, Ghana's goal was a really soft penalty. Burkina Faso also had a perfectly good goal disallowed for what?? and then get their best player sent off for being blatantly fouled in the box so he misses the final. 

Much like Blanc for France someone else's wrongdoing robs him of the chance to appear in the biggest match in the nation's history. No way they'll overturn the red card coz no governing body ever does. The ref shouldn't be allowed near another professional match. 

Â