• Ireland
    • N'Zogbia
    • Petrov
    • Bent
    • Agbonlahor
    • Hutton (for Cuéllar 55)
    • Albrighton (for Ireland 68)
    • Bannan (for Clark 85)

I don't understand why anyone is arguing on here these days.

Even if we accept the players aren't putting up, which they're clearly not, that doesn't excuse McLeish. In fact, the buck stops with him. The buck always stops with the manager, any manager worth his salt would accept that.

Where's this motivational nous we were told of? At the very least we expected spirit, ethos.

Bent: Without delivery, he is baggage. Build around or let go.

exactly. What he needs (as demonstrated last year for us AND this year for England) is attacking Wingers either side of him, like Young & Downing or Walcott & Milner. Not a traditional winger (i.e. Albrighton) or an attacking midfielder (like Ireland) or a converted striker (like Agbonlahor).

So we either need to line up 433 and buy another attacking winger to mirror N'Zogbia

GK

LB CB CB RB

Petrov Clark/Herd Bannan

N'Zogbia Bent *****

Pro's: Squad has better depth, with Albrighton, Ireland, Fonz, Heskey, Weimann, Gardener, Delph and either Herd or Clark on the bench.

Con's: Chances of finding a quality winger limited, chances of us affording him, less so, chances of him wanting to come: minimal if at all. Would probably result in a few sales.

or

we sell/drop Bent, and work with the players we have available.

GK

LB CB CB RB

Albrighton Petrov Clark/Herd N'Zogbia

Ireland

Gabby

Pro's: Cash to buy replacement for Petrov or two, allowing Clark to play as a footballing CB, rather than the hoofing CB Collins is.

Con's: Gabby will never score as many as Bent could.

f*ck tiredness just come out and say we weren't good enough today.

Keep the ball and pass...yep we did and tbh i though the first 60 minutes of that game we kept hold of the ball despite the shite goals quite well however, we starting sliding backwards and gradually just lost all power really. The two goals were against the run of play and our defence couldn't cope with the pace of the attacks which for the second goal was shite, that really set us back. What we lacked today was well 3 things and all of them are major aspects.

1. We couldn't pull the trigger when we were in on goal, we looked scared to, what was that about?!

2. Our defence today looked really shaky, the pace of their players particularly Dyer caused our lot at the back some major problems.

3. Taking off players who are one of the better performers in the game (yes I mean Ireland, should have stayed on unless he asked to come off which he didn't)

Cuellar looked great yet again but asked to come off which worried me greatly tbh. We were better today but the mistakes at the back and sloppy play when near the box caused us to lose the game and that's vital, we should have won. So really it just wasn't good enough in the end.

Didn't see any of this game but, from what I've heard, it was Warnock's poor pass that led to the first goal. Is that right? If so, I can't see why 20% have nominated him man of the match.

Yeah it was a schoolboy error and he then went on to get roasted by Dyer all game, it was a shocking performance

Didn't see any of this game but, from what I've heard, it was Warnock's poor pass that led to the first goal. Is that right? If so, I can't see why 20% have nominated him man of the match.
correct..had a poor first half then improved second,i voted dunne,no idea who gave sw the nodd

I kept thinking during and immediately after the game today that the players really really let Villa down today and in fact it would be harsh to solely lay the blame at McLeish. The players did not look remotely interested and this seemed to only get worse as the game got worse. The movement in attack particularly was appalling - at one point SI, CNZ, DB and GA were all pretty much at a stand-still when we HAD the ball.

However, who's fault is it that they look uninterested in the system they're being played in? The manager essentially. The gaps between the aforementioned front four and Stan and Clark was enormous. They didn't look like they wanted the ball, but they knew there was very little point in going to look for it because all they'd be able to do is knock the ball back to the defender that passed it to them. Swansea's pressing was good yes, but we lined up almost 4-2-4 in the first-half and it clearly was not working. Why was it not changed?

Also, in terms of tactics, playing a centre-back at right-back is only effective when you are playing against a side that are favourites to beat you. You don't have to be a tactical genius to see that playing Cuellar there at home to Swansea is rather negative. McLeish is starting to fall into the O'Neill dilemma of not having the balls to drop anyone of Cuellar, Collins and Dunne, even when it results in the formation becoming severely imbalanced.

If he uses the excuse that the players were tired: just because we won at Chelsea, it does not mean you have to keep more-or-less the same team on the pitch for a game just two days afterwards - as Brendan Rodgers showed (he is such a good manager).

Equally, if they were tired after the Chelsea game, he should be aware of this and as a result should rest them.

McLeish is too transparent in his tactical decisions. We don't have any particular system in place, he just plays the players who have shown promise in the previous game or are a big-name and decides his formation around that. He is not nearly decisive enough. Cuellar at right back was clearly not working after about twenty minutes so why wait until the 60th minute or so to take him or Collins off (definitely should've been the latter).

Also, James Collins is so so bad. He does not remain goalside of his men, you learn that at under-12s. His distribution is terrible and whenever he is closed down by an opposition attacker you can actually see him shake with nervousness.

Swansea look great when they're system is working, but even when we put them under the slightest of pressure they started to look vulnerable.

McLeish: please grow some balls and get the players to actually recognise how you want them to play. Today was worse than Sunderland last year and that was previously the worst I'd seen Villa play since well... a long long time.

And the fact that you didn't see any of the game is the reason why you have based your conclusion on the fact that his poor pass led to their first goal. If you don't bother going or watching then you can't make conclusions.

14 corners, never looked like scoring from any of them. Pretty much sums the game up.

This.

WHAT THE **** IS THE DEAL WITH OUTSWINGING CORNERS?

Why was N'Zogbia taking them from the left and Ireland from the right? Takes all pace and threat away because we are directing the ball away from goal with a ball floated in. It makes no sense whatsoever.

Awful, awful, awful. He changed the team to accommodate bent who did nothing today. You could see we had no width after 5mins so why leave albrighton on the bench !? Then he brings him on and plays him on the left !! Saturdays team selection was more luck than judgement as was seen today. Clueless !!

14 corners, never looked like scoring from any of them. Pretty much sums the game up.

This.

WHAT THE **** IS THE DEAL WITH OUTSWINGING CORNERS?

Why was N'Zogbia taking them from the left and Ireland from the right? Takes all pace and threat away because we are directing the ball away from goal with a ball floated in. It makes no sense whatsoever.

we dont look like scoring these days from any set piece,cnz free kick is shocking.

Not long back from the match.

Went to the game with a degree of enthusiasm after the Chelski game, although this was tempered somewhat by the fact that the away win might have been a fluke.

I should have known better but I was not entirely surprised and the performance and result means that normal service has been resumed.

The chants of 'You don't know what you're doing' and the boos at full time just about sum it all up.

The sooner McLiesh goes the better.

Piss poor again. Lost 5 out of the last 6 home games which is not good enough. Our away form is pretty acceptable at the moment but this can't go on at home.

I worry about our defence. Absolutely all over the place today in terms of positioning. Both centre halves didn't shuffle across which meant our full backs were isolated, and Warnock having an absolute nightmare didn't help matters.

Don't think we had any idea how to play their midfield. We gave Britton far too much space in the middle which should have been picked up on by McLeish. We allowed them to play and that is exactly what they did.

Same goes for the two up front, both looking isolated and clueless when the ball came to them. Think we should have just chucked Heskey on and gone for the hoof at the end of the game rather than getting it wide and having nobody to win headers in the box. Also we had such a lack of urgency it was embarrassing.

To sum it up, poor. Just taken steps backwards again, couldn't understand the substitutes he made either. Ireland looked one of our better players (although not much of a compliment).

Â