• Ireland
    • N'Zogbia
    • Petrov
    • Bent
    • Agbonlahor
    • Hutton (for Cuéllar 55)
    • Albrighton (for Ireland 68)
    • Bannan (for Clark 85)

To a point yes. But we weren't playing Chelsea away, so why set up exactly the same?

BEFORE the game, folks were saying what a great attackling line up. How could a side with N'Zogbia, Agbonlahor, Bent and Ireland in it be anything but attacking ?

If our defence and central midfield had turned up today, we 'may' have got something from the game

I cna't really see any reason to knock the starting eleven we picked though

I'm not knocking the personnel. I'm questioning how they were set up to play. Besides which "folks" don't get paid to make these decisions do they? McLeish is acting like a man desperately clinging on to his job and it is ALWAYS troo late by that point.

The central midfield were clearly asked to sit deep and protect rather than provide the link between defence and an impressive enough (on paper) front line.

Tactically inept. I take your point but to be honest there's nothing anyone could say to win me over towards him now. Any favour he had built after the weekend, any confidence the squad had was shattered within 50 minutes.

Bent dosnt fit in. We look better without him.

seems to me the penny is finally dropping.

Your right, he doesnt fit the system at all and hes nowhere near good enough to build the system around. You dont build a system around a one trick pony - no matter how important that trick is.

What today showed was that if you 'invest' in a style of football over a period of time (Martinez, then Rogers) then you have shape, guile and passing ability - proper football.

We've sold players, changed managers and we're all over the shop. It's not a huge surprise.

Villa fans wouldnt allow for something like this to happen, because it would take time and would probably get worse before it all starts to click. Shame really as it's what the club needs.

I disagree. If Houllier wasn't such a **** calamity PR and moral wise, I think we'd have been happy to accept him going forward because there were clear signs of change.

Frightening how little blame is being put on the players who are clearly not doing their jobs properly.

What are their jobs? Because they don't seem to have a **** clue.

These are good players. We've seen enough in all of them to know they're not this bad. So where does the buck stop?

What today showed was that if you 'invest' in a style of football over a period of time (Martinez, then Rogers) then you have shape, guile and passing ability - proper football.

We've sold players, changed managers and we're all over the shop. It's not a huge surprise.

Villa fans wouldnt allow for something like this to happen, because it would take time and would probably get worse before it all starts to click. Shame really as it's what the club needs.

I disagree. If Houllier wasn't such a **** calamity PR and moral wise, I think we'd have been happy to accept him going forward because there were clear signs of change.

Spot on. :thumb:

Frightening how little blame is being put on the players who are clearly not doing their jobs properly.

What are their jobs? Because they don't seem to have a **** clue.

These are good players. We've seen enough in all of them to know they're not this bad. So where does the buck stop?

Well being able to pass the ball 5 yards would be a start.

Then actually look interested

Put crosses in that beat the first man.

Stop the opposition from scoring the softest of goals

And so on

It matters not what the tactics are when basic football skills are beyond their skill level.

against chelsea we played 442 with ireland in the hole...

We played 4-3-3. Gabby up top as sole striker with Ireland off him. When Bent came on for NZog, Gabby went out wide. Gabby and Bent cannot and never will be able to play as a pair!

Good point

Then we deserve what we get, which is a dire form of anti football delivered by a manager who is tactically inept and believes in Glasgow docks hoof and chase.

It is time to rip up this team and start again. There is nothing left here to be be proud of.

Guzan: Is what he is, reserve team goalie

Warnock: Should never wear the shirt again after last year

Dunne: Probably the only defender we have, but getting older.

Collins: Awful defender, last ditch.com due to his ball watching.

Cueller: Should partner Dunne, instead will be sold to Rangers

Gabby: Villa through and through, put him where he belongs, up front.

Petrov: A crab, god only knows how he is still in the team

Clark: Has a future, as a ball playing centre back

NZogbia: Why buy a player who plays in the hole and put him on the wing

Ireland: Has technical ability, unfortunately, is alone in that

Bent: Without delivery, he is baggage. Build around or let go.

I would rather see the kids come in now under a manager such as Martinez. We have to build for the future, as we have nothing for the near term except mediocrity and survival.

It's frightening how badly mismanaged they are.

Bent is played as anything but the 'poacher' that he is. Instead he's employed with his back to goal or chasing balls in the channels despite the fact he can't jump, can't control a ball or run.

Gabby today on the right wing. Has been great on the left and to a lesser extent through the middle, and yet today ends up in a position I can't remember him playing since his breakthrough season. Was guaranteed he'd have a stinker in that position.

McLeish still doesn't know what N'Zogbia's best position but seems to wander around all over the place meaning we lack any shape or real width.

You need to coach the style of play, when and where to make runs, when and where to pass the ball, when and where to overlap etc something McLeish has completely failed to do subsequently it's no surprise we show no imagination, no movement and score a pitiful amount of goals.

F-Ecking hopeless. :cry:

McLesih really has to go.

If you were going to make changes in that team from the team that beat Chelski and has to play 48 hours later, it needs to be in the CM where Stan struggles to play 90 minutes let alone 80 odd minutes, then an injury and back for another 90 minutes 48 hours later.

Should have gone with the same back 5 and an attacking line up of:

--------------- Clark ----------------

------------ Bannan -----------------

------------------- Ireland ----------

Albie ---------------------------- Zog

---------------- Gab -----------------

Stan was knackered and I'd like to know what Bent had done to earn an instant recall over Albie.

Taking Ireland off and going 4-4-2 was a crap decision. Gabby and Bent will never be a pair IMO, especially when they are 50 yds in front of a tiring Stan and Clarke.

It's frightening how badly mismanaged they are.

Bent is played as anything but the 'poacher' that he is. Instead he's employed with his back to goal or chasing balls in the channels despite the fact he can't jump, can't control a ball or run.

Gabby today on the right wing. Has been great on the left and to a lesser extent through the middle, and yet today ends up in a position I can't remember him playing since his breakthrough season. Was guaranteed he'd have a stinker in that position.

McLeish still doesn't know what N'Zogbia's best position but seems to wander around all over the place meaning we lack any shape or real width.

You need to coach the style of play, when and where to make runs, when and where to pass the ball, when and where to overlap etc something McLeish has completely failed to do subsequently it's no surprise we show no imagination, no movement and score a pitiful amount of goals.

Hang on a minute, at what point do footballers start taking the initiative? Why have we got them if were going to pin the whole blame on one guy whos not even on the pitch.

No matter how bad of a manager you think Mcliesh is, the players are far from covering themselves in glory.

When are these people going to be challenged to take responsibility?

We shout 'you dont know what your doing' at a manager because he makes a sub in attempt to change a game that is going to ratshit. But yet we dont shout it at the players who cannot complete the most basic of football skills succesfully.

Ok, just back from the game. Where do I start.

Well thank f**k we got the cheap viagogo £10 tickets for this (£14 with fees), even this was £10 too much, albeit Swansea played some great football.

The boos when he took Ireland off were so loud, then a very loud rendition of "You don't know what you're doing". Even Eck looked a bit shaken by it. I'm not sure it helped matters, even I found it a bit OTT, but its becoming untennable and very sad to see. Worth watching on MOTD if you missed it

Going down after 4 mins didn't help but we looked sloppy, lacking in confidence and slow with a complete lack of width from the off. The lack of movement was unreal and the amount of time we gave them on the ball was very annoying.

GUZAN 4/10 - Poor for goal 2

WARNOCK 2/10 - torn apart all day by Dyer, sloppy for goal 1

DUNNE 5/10 - Red mist

COLLINS 4/10 - sell asap

CUELLAR 5/10 - poor passing

N'ZOGBIA 3/10 - no vision whatsoever, dreadful game

PETROV 5/10 - pedestrian

CLARK 5/10 - looked like a CB playing in midfield today

IRELAND 6/10 - MOTM, our only creative player

AGBONLAHOR 4/10 - poor today

BENT 4/10 - does not fit in

we've lost 5 of our last 6 home games including embarassing losses to WBA & Swans and gutless shite vs ManUre & the tramps

He has to go

Your right, he doesnt fit the system at all and hes nowhere near good enough to build the system around. You dont build a system around a one trick pony - no matter how important that trick is.

:lol:

good one general k

is it to try and get us all use to our best scorer being sold to liverpoo?

:lol:

good one general k

is it to try and get us all use to our best scorer being sold to liverpoo?

zzzzz

It was dreadful to watch.

For the first five minutes we looked bright enough off the back of the Chelsea result, but as soon as Warnock made his cock up for their goal, all of our confidence went and their tails went up.

It was impossible for us to match their energy with just ten men and Bent and they looked bright, lively and inventive.

We on the other hand looked shambolic. I'll take the odd defeat if there's a plan, if there's something to go on, but we looked clueless, we looked like there was a lot less clue than talent on display at least.

Work to do, and in all honesty if I had a choice, I'd much prefer Brendan Rogers was doing it.

Guzan - 7 - Did well for much of the match.

Cuellar - 5 - Exposed for the second goal but okay otherwise.

Dunne - 7 - Our best player on the day.

Collins - 6 - Meh.

Warnock - 4 - Had a bad day from the moment he set up their first goal - his confidence went to pieces and he was left having to deal with a very lively winger in Dyer. Crap game basically.

N'Zogbia - 6 - Good patches, bad patches - he looked our most likely source.

Petrov - 6 - Worked.

Clark - 6 - Passed the ball.

Ireland - 6 - Buzzed about.

Agbonlahor - 5 - Poor on the wing, livelier up front.

Bent - 3 - Passenger. He should not be starting games for us. We know he's got a goal in him, but we're more likely to win games with those goals coming from people who can also play the game.

Sub. Albrighton - 7- Looked lively and perked us up.

Manager - 2 - I've not been his biggest critic, it's not an easy job he's got and his results haven't been too bad, I don't give a monkeys where he's come from and I didn't have a tizzy when he was appointed, but today showed all the problems he's got.

Let me put it this way. What type of team are Swansea?

Well, they like to keep the ball, play it around, build from the back and break with pace where they can. Correct?

Good. Now, what type of team are Villa?

Harder to answer that one isn't it.

I can't see what he's trying to do, I can't see a plan or a shape or a style, we just sort of hope for the best.

He's putting players in the wrong places, picking them on reputation not form and then asking them to do the wrong things.

It's not good and it doesn't look like it's going to get a whole lot better, we'll have occasional good days and occasional bad days, but that's as much as we can hope for. The mid term future? A mystery under this manager (What is an Alex McLeish style player?) The long term future?Who knows?

Give this eighteen months and we can have another look, until then, I think we just have to put up with it. A shame really.

Just a note on Swansea - they were good to watch, played some nice stuff, were well supported and ran for ninety minutes - fair play to them, they very much deserved their day and they're nowhere near as bad as some people seemed to think.

We on the other hand... .

Â