Blasphemous Idea To Save The Premiership

maqroll

Or at least make it a more open competition...

The idea is to incorporate a playoff system.

So let's say if the season ended now, the two Manchester clubs would get a bye. The 3rd place team would play the 6th place team at home, the 4th would play the 5th, at home.

The winner of 3-6 would play the #2 seed at #2, the winner of 4-5 would play the #1 seed, at #1.

The winners of these two games would meet at Wembley for the Premiership title.

So with a system like this in place, you'd give mid table sides hope and a chance to try and nick 6th place and see what happens.

You'd also avoid the anti-climax of clubs winning the league with 3 weeks remaining in the season.

It's spot on as it is. Everyone has the same set of fixtures. It wouldn't be fair if you won the league and happened to have some bad injuries which meant you lose in the playoffs.

Only works in America since they dont have equal fixtures/divisions/leagues.

But finishing in top spot would no longer mean you've won the league. Only a first round playoff bye. I figure if they can do promotion playoffs, they can do playoffs in the PL as well...

And imagine the spectacle of a final at Wembley...and the added benefit of letting more teams get a shot at glory, which is something that is becoming more and more elusive for more and more clubs every year.

They do playoffs in the Mexican, Brazilian and Argentinian leagues, too...

I think the league system is good because it actually reflects who was the best team over the season rather than who did good enough then had some luck in the finals. Most sports here in Australia do a finals system but thats because they dont (or rarely) have cups or any other kind of knockout thing during the season.

Wasn't there a rumour about this a couple of years ago when we were on our way to upset the league by nicking the CL-spot from Arsenal? Then we slumped and Arsenal regained their spot and it wasn't talked about anymore.

But finishing in top spot would no longer mean you've won the leaguequote]

Really. If this ever happens, I for one will consider the money men have finally killed the whole point of the game. Ideas like this coming from fans make me weep. The game of football is great as it is, lets just leave it be.

The Premier League wouldnt want playoffs for Champions League spots though. They are quite happy with the same clubs qualifying over and over because it enables those clubs to build strong squads and keep the coefficient up. The last thing they want is someone like us finishing 6th, fluking a playoff win then getting knocked out in the CL qualifiers.

The Premier League wouldnt want playoffs for Champions League spots though. They are quite happy with the same clubs qualifying over and over because it enables those clubs to build strong squads and keep the coefficient up. The last thing they want is someone like us finishing 6th, fluking a playoff win then getting knocked out in the CL qualifiers.

Keeping those sides in the Champions League also increases their revenue, which subsequently increases their popularity in Europe and the world, which is good for the profile of English football and the Premier League, which means more people will pay to see games abroad, better players will come to the league, etc, etc.

Keeping it this way is good for the Premier League.

And although it's frustrating for a team like us, I think it's a real achievement for a smaller club to try and break through that gap and get into the top four. If we had managed it during O'Neill's reign it would have been much more impressive than finishing sixth and getting in through a playoff. So it becomes something to work for rather than work for the playoffs and then step up your games.

It'd also increase the amount of games in a season which is a bad idea.

true but if Liverpool and Chelsea miss out this year and same next season they might reconsider

Play-offs should have occurred at the top of the Premier League years ago. There should also be mechanism where under performing sides near the bottom could potentially end up in the Championship play-offs.

The only way to save football in this country now is to kick the so-called big 4 out, letting the other 2 go with them to some European Super League, and re-organise our league structure to be that is fair and competitive.

Not a good idea.

As much as I'd like to see smaller clubs with a chance for the title, it goes against the whole league system, imo.

I mean for example, a team could win every game in the regular season and be miles ahead of anyone else, but then lose 1 or two games right at the end and not be champions.

It's how they do it for the premiership rugby and I don't like it for that either.

Playoff system becomes a cup mentality.. where 6th can easily fluke a win against a much stronger team who won the league..

If we wanted to open up the Champions League (which the FA won't for the reason Nays gave) then they could make the Cups a Champions League place. Giving the meaning back to that competition for the lesser Premiership clubs. The FA can decide how to award their places, they could have top 2 in the league, FA Cup and League Cup as Champions League places.

Â