Royalist or Republican?

TheDrums

Anyone who *wants* to be a head of state should be automatically disqualified. The only alternative is being born into it or the suggestion above as a kind of year long compulsory jury service, although the sacrifice at the end could maybe come through some kind of phone in poll on Talksport.

can you imagine that as a reality tv show.

Cabbages and Kings.

You have to perform over 12 weeks in front of the audience a combination of:

IQ tests (you cannot be retarded and be king/queen)

Verbal test (you have to talk properly)

Physical test (Takeshi castle style test, you can't or be ill all the time)

Fearless test (lots of flying and experiencing different cultures, have to be in public a lot)

Question is who would the 4 judges be?

also which celebrity couple or individual would make the best stand in monarch?

I've somewhat mellow as I get older from furvent Republican to a bit meh.....! They are an anachronism but they can stay as long as :

1) they are self funding, this includes the all the police and Secure Services protection. Abolish the Civil List, the Queen can decide who in 'the family' get hand outs from the income she generates (earns).

2) they fully pay all tax that's due.

3) The Queen requishes all government roles. Can't have an un-elected head of state.

I actually quite like Charles' boys.

Maybe its because I live in a republic full of people who have no respect for authority but I can't see how anyone could like having a royal family. Inherited rights to a meaningless expensive position as the head of state. I detest the royal family and everything that goes with them, MBE's to dart players, Knighthoods to arrogant football managers and rocket polisher self righteous Irish singers. On the queen's visit to Ireland people who met her were told what to call her, how to address her, that at meal times when the Queen finishes eating everyone finishes, that you couldn't touch her and could only shake hands with her if she offered her hand to you. Get ****! When Obama came here he went to the pub and had a pint with the locals, That's proper order. Nobody is better than anyone else, especially not some inbred royal family.

I agree with Chindie. Nothing against them personally, but the concept of monarchy (and aristocracy) is - like religion - a mediaeval anachronism that we really should have grown out of by now.

So, republican.

I agree with Chindie. Nothing against them personally, but the concept of monarchy (and aristocracy) is - like religion - a mediaeval anachronism that we really should have grown out of by now.

So, republican.

I think also its a question of who is the king (or queen) to make the judgement. Get Andrew on the throne and it would be over in six months, I suspect the British public quite like William... Equally have Cameron as president, people will be demanding the royalty back, or imagine Blair as president :shock:

...have Cameron as president, people will be demanding the royalty back, or imagine Blair as president :shock:
Don't like 'em, vote 'em out.

So when do we get to do this with the Saxe-Coburg-Gotha inbreds?

Kate Middleton will be wearing 5 designer outfits on Christmas day, all paid for by us tax payers.

She visited a homeless charity during the week. There was me thinking she'd wear one and give the money from the other 4 to people that are dying on the streets hungry in this day and age.

...have Cameron as president, people will be demanding the royalty back, or imagine Blair as president :shock:
Don't like 'em, vote 'em out.

So when do we get to do this with the Saxe-Coburg-Gotha inbreds?

I suspect a vote wouldn’t get rid of the royal family. I think a sizeable part of the country prefer the ‘non-political’ nature of royalty.

I personally think the Queen is a better stateswoman than Cameron, Brown or Blair. Not saying that about the rest of her family (Charles and his f•••ing Oysters), but I think the Queen is pretty good at the job.

Kate Middleton will be wearing 5 designer outfits on Christmas day, all paid for by us tax payers.

She visited a homeless charity during the week. There was me thinking she'd wear one and give the money from the other 4 to people that are dying on the streets hungry in this day and age.

You know that if we had a president all of his or her outfits would be paid by the tax payers? Have a look at France to see how presidents can and do waste money. Whatever the system they are all pretty unaccountable.

Â