Royalist or Republican?

TheDrums

Don't see the relevance of the riots to the debate about the monarchy. May as well say "How much do Trident missiles cost us?" or the Royal Mail, or the NHS, or prisons, etc., etc.

Maybe under a republic we wouldn't have rioting? (I don't believe this is true BTW, just pointing out that there is no connection).

Is Philandering Phil about to kark it? Its all Sky News seem to be reporting on. How will the worlds most famous dysfunctional family cope without their paternal figurehead, the man who lead the way in extra marital bed hopping?

Will we have to endure a day of mourning where they tell us how wonderful the racist git was? Hope not.

F*ck the bowing and scraping nonsense, related to the sun god is she?

Let's get rid of the parasites and put swan back on the menu.

Though they shouldn't be hunted down and exterminated willy nilly.

I don't think it's fair that Harry is bundled in with other obvious candidates for state sponsored termination - the likes of, say, Boris Johnson, John Redwood and Jeremy Clarkson (ie unspeakable vermin by choice, as opposed to an accident of birth).

Don't see the relevance of the riots to the debate about the monarchy. May as well say "How much do Trident missiles cost us?" or the Royal Mail, or the NHS, or prisons, etc., etc.

Maybe under a republic we wouldn't have rioting? (I don't believe this is true BTW, just pointing out that there is no connection).

Just pointing out that using the cost of us having a monarch as being a major issue not having one isn't really a relevant point

I also presume those wholy against the monarchy and what it stands for work on the witson bank holiday.

After all you wouldn't want tO slate something but take the benefits of having one

I wouldn't even bother arguing it mate. They're here to stay and if someone is going to moan about it, who gives a ****? I certainly don't. At least the moaners will never get their way during their lifetime. :)

It does matter what the country think of the Monarchy, it just so happens that the majority are quite happy with Lizzie and the 69p each she costs us (or whatever it is). As long as that remains the case the Republicans can stew in their collective juices and keep entertaining everyone with these biannual threads.

See you all in the Diamond Jubilee thread next year for more frothing Republican hatred and insults! :)

Same old flawed arguments.

I'll bite.. which flawed arguments? The fact that the majority of people actually like the status quo with the Monarchy?

That's not an argument at all, is it?

Excuse me for asking but is there actually any independently verified evidence for this?

Certainly in this city my empirical evidence says the opposite is true. Hardly ever meet anyone who likes them under the age of about 60 and even then its a 50-50 split at best.

would one side or the other having a majority make it 'right'?

Surely it's a bit odd to doff your cap and assume subservience to someone because of their family background, regardless of whether 51% of people agree with you? It's not like the job's still up for grabs is it? Perhaps in the past you could challenge, have a bit of a sword fight and chance your arm at being the new top dog. That had a sort of crude, basic, survival of the fitest validity to it. But that's been tweeked and rigged out of the system as far as I can see.

Give everyone their 70p and tell them they can either keep it, spend it on chocolate, give it to the local hospice, or pop it in the 'more money for millionaire royals' box the next time they are in a supermarket. Then we'll see where the majority of feeling lies.

Same old flawed arguments.

I'll bite.. which flawed arguments? The fact that the majority of people actually like the status quo with the Monarchy?

That's not an argument at all, is it?

is there actually any independently verified evidence for this?

ipsos-mori poll summary April 8th 2011

If there were a referendum seven out of ten (71%) people say they would vote in favour of Britain remaining a monarchy.

Politicans would eat their own children for those kind of ratings.

Certainly in this city my empirical evidence says the opposite is true.

Excuse me for saying so but you work in a city noted for perms, thieves and general scumbag chavness. I wouldn't personally choose Liverpool as a barometer of general UK public opinion - assuming anyone could actually understand their replies, or indeed, that they had understood the original question.

A Mori poll from 2001 where 814 people were asked over the phone.

My apologies, I posted the wrong link. This one from 2011:

here

Three-quarters of the public would like Britain to remain a monarchy (75%), with around one in five (18%) in favour of Britain becoming a republic. Levels of support for the status quo have changed very little since we first started asking this question in 1993. Those most likely to favour Britain becoming a republic include those in London and Labour voters (26% and 27% respectively).

Oh, it's gone up!

Makes you wonder why we bother with elections when we can just ask 814 people at random over the phone who they like once every ten years.

Okay so you ask for evidence, it is provided, and then you have a sulk. :lol:

Â