Royalist or Republican?

TheDrums

I find your position to be one of change for the sake of change...

May we not find your position to be one of wanting to keep a specific of the status quo (i.e. the Monarchy) for the sake of keeping the overall status quo?

Is it that we have reached some constitutional market equilibrium in your view or that we should just settle for what we have in fear of having something worse?

Forgive my ignorance of English history - but what "moral wrong" are you referring to?
You don't need a history lesson. Monarchy is immoral.

Everybody should live under the same law and be accountable for their actions, and respect should be earned fairly and morally not through birth right.

That apart, we should celebrate people for achievements in life. If you celebrate Royalty, that's just weird, what are you celebrating?

Now I see where you are coming from, though I don't think I agree that it's morally wrong.

As for the Queen - I'm not understanding the problem. We had a referendum on this some years back (whether we should be a republic or not) and we decided to stay as is. Apart from having the queen replaced on our coins with some other Aussie (Rolf Harris? Kylie Minogue's bum?) there were a lot of agendas that were pushing their own avenues for change within the proposed new form of government.

It was simply going to take a huge amount of time, cost and effort to end up with something that was not so dissimilar from our existing government. So what was the point? "If it aint broke, don't fix it".

Having said that, we are in a slightly different boat to you lot. Yes, Elizabeth is our Queen too....

... but we don't pay her wages.

Oh, and what would your national anthem be if you no longer had a monarchy?

Oh, and what would your national anthem be if you no longer had a monarchy?

Something better or we could buck the trend and have nothing at all, national anthems are by and large awful

So, John Cage's "4:33" its is, then. Should be good at international football matches.

• 1 month later...

Here's a party game. Or possibly a pub quiz question.

Which activity do you most associate with HRH Price Andrew?

Is it:

a) meeting Libyan diplomats about a case which we think shows the duplicity of the West, while they think it shows our duplicity. Hmmm, some common threads there. Glad that's all agreed, then.

B)Meeting a sex offender for a chat, as one does.

C) Criticising the Fraud Squad for daring to take down some of his mates.

or d) e) f) and any number of other gaffes. What a creepy, thick, throwback arsehole.

Which activity do you most associate with HRH Price Andrew?

Flying a helicopter as a decoy for exocet anti ship missiles during the Falklands war. Granted he may not be the best ambassador for UK Plc, but doing a job where success means a good chance of being atomised by high explosives takes some guts, imho.

Â