We have upset Downing :O

Djemba_Villan

Couldnt see a thread for Downing anywhere, which suprised me.

However, I was deeply saddened to see we have upset Downing with our booing Sunday, he really did deserve to be a Villa hero, infact It's astonishing that we have not renamed our stadium after him. He really gave his all for us with his remarkable dedication, an ENTIRE season - most likely paid peanuts. Those fans who booed him (who are probably hanging their heads in shame right now) should remember that he left it at LEAST a week after the sale of our other decent player, whereas our PATHETIC returned committment to him was to wait only a paultry 6 months for him to return to fitness and make any form of notable comeback.

He was unfortunately held to ransom only weeks earlier to declare that he would stay - if given the chance, irrespective of the sale of some team mates. This was during an unlucky period for him which also astonishingly resulted in him being photographed long before his transfer with a Liverpool shirt and some of his future team mates.

Infact, his resurgence on the national team front, which was largely down to the brand of fairly attacking, neat football he was then FORCED to play, watched by an England manager who was interested in the young English setup at the club was quite frankly SELFISH on Villa's part - as it lead to more exposure for the previously forgettable Downing - therefore increased (unpaid) workload for the poor chap. His blistering form this season really has shown us what we have missed out on.

I suggest any Villa fans who booed him - get a sense of reality and see this loyal hero as a beacon for all which is good about football in these modern times.

...only real shame is how terrible we are to justify his decision :(

Disappointed with the Villa fans are you Stewart? Well, we're not exactly chuffed to bits that you went from loving being at AVFC to holidaying with Andy Carrol and wanting out within 6 weeks. You deserve everything you got and more. clearing in the woods.

Oh, and whilst we are talking about disappointments, Stewart..... have you scored yet? No? Well surely for £20m you must have an assist? oh.... wait..... no?

He should have kept his trap shut and he owed us more loyalty than he showed. Still, I don't know why some fans insist that Milner and Young should get free passes while Downing is the only one we should be allowed to slag off. They all left for exactly the same mercenary reasons, at times when Villa was clearly on a downward slide. I don't think we should delude ourselves that there is some great difference between loyal, hardworking Young/Milner and lying, treacherous milquetoast Downing. To be fair to him, in the first half of last season he looked like the only player (Young included... maybe Albrighton excepted) who could be bothered to play properly, and but for his effort we might be in the Championship now.

My own stance is that all the players who left because the grass elsewhere was greener are fair game to be booed, since our own grass is now considerably less green as a result of their self-interest. However I recognise the contribution they made and I'm not going to pretend they're some kind of heinous villains. If we can put them off their game in front of their new bosses, though, why not.

I think Mr Downing is a bit dim. First of all what did he expect when towards the end of last season he declared that he owed it to Villa to stay because of the way the club stood by him when he was injured the previous season, it was bound to happen in those circumstances. Secondly when asked the question, he should have sidestepped it with a diplomatic answer along the lines of "That's football, it happens" or something else equally non committal, resulting in a complete non-story and the whole things blows over. Now he's done what can only be described as "A Redknapp", next season it won't be forgotten, it'll be amplified. The press will remind him and us about last year in the run up to the game and a few more will join in too as a result.

Dim.

Dalglish is a muppet for calling Villa fans sad. He wont be saying that about his fans when Torres returns.

Really starting to hate the guy over last few weeks

His big boyish smile when they score was kind of nice to see in this cynical day and age, but lately it's gotten very old, and I want to remove his teeth with pliers.

He should have kept his trap shut and he owed us more loyalty than he showed. Still, I don't know why some fans insist that Milner and Young should get free passes while Downing is the only one we should be allowed to slag off. They all left for exactly the same mercenary reasons, at times when Villa was clearly on a downward slide. I don't think we should delude ourselves that there is some great difference between loyal, hardworking Young/Milner and lying, treacherous milquetoast Downing. To be fair to him, in the first half of last season he looked like the only player (Young included... maybe Albrighton excepted) who could be bothered to play properly, and but for his effort we might be in the Championship now.

My own stance is that all the players who left because the grass elsewhere was greener are fair game to be booed, since our own grass is now considerably less green as a result of their self-interest. However I recognise the contribution they made and I'm not going to pretend they're some kind of heinous villains. If we can put them off their game in front of their new bosses, though, why not.

young and milner at least showed a modicum of respect towards villa, and they owed us less than downing did, sitting on a pretty new pay package for months while we rehabilitated him and put him in the shop window. both milner and young loved it here, milner puts in more effort than any other player in the league, and young never shirked tackling responsibilities and he was never scared to put his body on the line to win the ball. downing however had one pretty good season but was always susceptible to bottling his defensive duties, and at times when the players really needed to pick their bollocks up and fight for a result. quite talented, but his effort was never for the sake of the villa, something which i saw in young and milner almost every match.

that is why i think people give ash and jim a free pass.

young and milner at least showed a modicum of respect towards villa, and they owed us less than downing did, sitting on a pretty new pay package for months while we rehabilitated him and put him in the shop window. both milner and young loved it here, milner puts in more effort than any other player in the league, and young never shirked tackling responsibilities and he was never scared to put his body on the line to win the ball. downing however had one pretty good season but was always susceptible to bottling his defensive duties, and at times when the players really needed to pick their bollocks up and fight for a result. quite talented, but his effort was never for the sake of the villa, something which i saw in young and milner almost every match.

The others get a "free pass" because they didn't leave for big bad Liverpool. Thats the truth of the matter for a large portion of Villa supporters.

Why doe's that never get said?

The others get a "free pass" because they didn't leave for big bad Liverpool. Thats the truth of the matter for a large portion of Villa supporters.

You talk shit.

The others "get a free pass" because they were respectful and didn't publicly say they were staying because they owed it out of respect, and then the following week hand in a transfer request.

Milner said nothing throughout the saga and Young said he'd discuss it at the end of the season. Which in the footballing world is obvious acknowledgement that they intend on leaving.

And I find your above post absolutely ridiculous considering Liverpool fans still yap on about Torres going to Chelsea.

About 30 people in the Torres topic on RAWK said he left for cash, when in reality he joined a top 4 side in the Champions League. Why does that never get said?

Gareth Barry?

About 30 people in the Torres topic on RAWK said he left for cash, when in reality he joined a top 4 side in the Champions League. Why does that never get said?

players should love playing for average Liverpool and if they leave they are money grabbing mercenaries as i remember they were calling Mascherano one as well :D.

Amount of Torres groups on Facebook created by bitter scousers is pathetic.

Downing's comments last season (not long before the end of the season if I remember correctly) have added fuel to this fire. Something about staying with us even if we got relegated. Those comments were always going to come back and bite him.

• 2 weeks later...
Â