Higgs boson (tonyh29 particle) found?

Tegis

Article in Washington Post

What does Tuesday’s announcement mean for technology?

Honestly, very little, said University of Maryland physics department chairman Drew Baden. It is “merely a look-see as to where the experiments are in looking for new particles, not seen since the first trillionth of a second after the big bang,” he said.

But Baden said that the technology that CERN developed for its research has spun off other valuable advances.

“Much of the progress in accelerators comes out of this kind of basic research,” he said in an e-mail, pointing to technology used in food radiation and cancer therapy. People are now working on laser-powered accelerators, he said, and future applications of that work could create sci-fi-like particle beams.

CERN research has also spawned technology used in data mining, a way to look for significant results from a tangle of data, based on the work from Sir Tim Berners-Lee when he was at CERN.

Looking far ahead into the future, the Higgs boson could help scientists unlock the secrets of mass itself, said Steven Nahn, an associate professor of physics at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

“Think about 100 years ago,” he said. “One hundred years ago, we couldn’t control the electron. Now I can talk to you on something the size of a credit card from miles away. Imagine what you could do if you could control mass like that. That’s science fiction right now, but so was electrodynamics.”

“There’s no killer app for what we could do with the Higgs boson in our hands right now,” Nahn said. “But there’s a lot of potential there.”

Exciting times ahead, but I guess it's important to have a long term perspective on things.

i **** your mom chindie.

You missed a trick here, you should have said "we've **** your mom", as obviously someone in the human species has, so therefore we can all claim credit for it.

What do we want!?

A time-machine!!

When do want it !?

That's irrelevant!!

But if you want one that goes back in time, you're screwed. Any mathematics which allows time travel (to date) requires that you have a receiver. There's no way to move that receiver back in time, not even to prove that mankind didn't start with one man and his invisible friend in a garden.

Irrelevant really though. No-one has found something in the mathematics which would allow information to travel faster than c, which pretty much means that the rest is just mathematical games.

i **** your mom chindie.

You missed a trick here, you should have said "we've **** your mom", as obviously someone in the human species has, so therefore we can all claim credit for it.

:?

Who said anything about everyone being able to take credit for the potential discovery?

:?

Discovering the Higgs boson is a landmark in physics. We've suspected it had to be there because if its not everything we know about particle physics is potentially wrong. We used to look at what made up atoms and could work out how it worked but then did the maths and discovered that, whilst we could see what we assumed was right, the numbers didn't add up so to speak. So it was hypothised that this other particle, the Higgs boson, had to exist.

By (potentially - at the moment it's just looking very likely) finding it, we open the door to another stage of understanding, which could be potentially enormous. We want to look at what the Higgs boson does under different circumstances, what it degrades into, what fiddling with it will do to atoms. It could lead us to understanding things we've absolutely not got a clue about, dark matter and so on.

It has the potential to be the first step to very important discoveries.

Awesome! :thumb:

How are you quite obviously rather intelligent yet unemployed? :shock:

Google. Everyone can be intelligent on the internetz.

No, I just already knew that. I said as much on the original hadron collider thread which is a good couple of years ago now I think.

Interested in these things you see.

Discovering the Higgs boson is a landmark in physics. We've suspected it had to be there because if its not everything we know about particle physics is potentially wrong. We used to look at what made up atoms and could work out how it worked but then did the maths and discovered that, whilst we could see what we assumed was right, the numbers didn't add up so to speak. So it was hypothised that this other particle, the Higgs boson, had to exist.

By (potentially - at the moment it's just looking very likely) finding it, we open the door to another stage of understanding, which could be potentially enormous. We want to look at what the Higgs boson does under different circumstances, what it degrades into, what fiddling with it will do to atoms. It could lead us to understanding things we've absolutely not got a clue about, dark matter and so on.

It has the potential to be the first step to very important discoveries.

Awesome! :thumb:

How are you quite obviously rather intelligent yet unemployed? :shock:

Google. Everyone can be intelligent on the internetz.

I weren't just referring to this particular subject, but pretty much everything he posts about. :winkold:

Well if this particle exists, it definitely should not be referred to as the "God Particle".

Especially when you consider that "God" is non existent! (IMO)

I disagree, it should be called the God particle. This is a very big nail in the weird and odd world of religion and faith. Keep calling it the god particle and it might catch on, this exists and is real for one which is a slight improvement on 100 % made up.

Â