Higgs boson (tonyh29 particle) found?

Tegis

Update on the search for the Higgs boson by the ATLAS and CMS experiments at CERN

A seminar will be held today at CERN at which the ATLAS and CMS experiments will present the status of their searches for the Standard Model Higgs boson. These results will be based on the analysis of considerably more data than those presented at the summer conferences, sufficient to make significant progress in the search for the Higgs boson, but not enough to make any conclusive statement on the existence or non-existence of the Higgs.

The seminar begins at 14:00 CET. The auditorium in which the seminar will be held is reserved for CERN personnel and researchers from the laboratory's user community, but a video stream will be relayed to another auditorium in which scientists will be on hand to answer questions.

Watch the live webcast

At 16:30 CET CERN management and representatives of the two experiments will be available to take questions from the media. Journalists wishing to attend should register with the CERN Press Office. Both the seminar and the following Q&A will be webcast. Journalists following the webcast may submit questions through Twitter using the hashtag #Higgsupdate.

A press release will be issued at 15.30 CET in which there will be links to photo and video material. It will be available here: http://press.web.cern.ch/press/PressReleases/List.html

Text background on the Higgs, and a glossary of important terms in Higgs research can be found here:

http://press.web.cern.ch/press/background/

Cern

• 6 months later...
Bunch of crap I'll never understand :D

me to, my main issue though is that I really dont understand the obsession with trying to understand this?

Understanding the structure of how EVERYTHING is built. That in turn can lead to multiple other discoveries that are useful in everyday life. Like if we align paper strips in a certain pattern based on our knowledge of matter, we can make a compound stronger than steel. Or something like that....

me to, my main issue though is that I really dont understand the obsession with trying to understand this?

The quest for knowledge has been quite useful down the years . It took us to the moon , cured diseases and gave us the internet. You know the internet ? It gives people a platform to communicate with each other and say things like ...

I really dont understand the obsession with trying to understand this.

:D

The quest for knowledge has been quite useful down the years . It took us to the moon , cured diseases and gave us the internet. You know the internet ? It gives people a platform to communicate with each other and say things like ...

I really dont understand the obsession with trying to understand this.

:D

This.

Even though I still can't be arsed to read it. :)

Higgs boson rumours fly as Cern prepares to announce latest results

Announcement on Wednesday. Hopefully we're closer to teleportation and time travel.

Teleportation?? Are we just gonna completely bypass the hover car era just like that? I feel cheated. :(

:)

Don't worry, I'm sure some nice scientist will come along and invent a hover car to accommodate those for whom teleportation just seems too easy.

I read a book about this recently and it took apart the master equation and then put it together again. I sort of got it in the end (sort of) but you need to split it it up into smaller checks to have a chance. Basically it shows how all the particles interact with each it other (I think there are 12 or 13). The problem was that the h in the equation was this higgs which must exist or the equation does not really work but they need to see it for the thing to be accepted as theory.

It's the most amazing thing I have read about and I am continuing reading about it.

Â