John Terry

CI

Italians are proper racist.

They don't want Balotelli to play for Italy (even though he was born and raised in Europe) because he doesn't have "Italian blood"

im sure you wouldnt want him playing for England as he wasnt born there?

Exactly. If he feels he's innocent and has enough of a defence to prove that, why would he step down as captain? Like someone said above, it would be an admission of guilt. Just so annoying that there's always something just before/during/just after every single tournement. I'm just waiting to see which first teamer gets injured this time. :(

Why does Terry have to go court and Suarez didnt?

Q. After a week dominated by two alleged racism cases, Luis Suarez has been given an eight-game ban while John Terry has a date in court. Why the different outcomes?

A. Because Terry's is a criminal prosecution and Suarez's a Football Association disciplinary measure. This is because there was a Metropolitan police investigation into Terry's conduct, prompted by an anonymous complaint from a member of the public. There was no such police action over Suarez.

The Suarez issue went straight to the FA, leading to this week's decision that he should serve an eight-game ban. There will be no equivalent FA action against Terry until his criminal prosecution is over. Once that has taken place he may well face an FA disciplinary process.

Independent

Video is on the guardian website as I just watched it .....it appears to show exactly what John Terry says he said

The difference between guilty and not guilty could be because someone walks in front of the camera and thus the "do you fink" part is not as clear cut on camera as the rest of it

There appears to be no malice in Terry's actions as he speaks , not conclusive but if he was racially abusing someone because he was wound up there maybe would have been a bit more venom in the delivery ? Of course he could be racially abusing Ferdinand becuase he is indeed a racist but to date I'm not aware of anyone having accused him of this before ( though that still doesn't conclusively prove his innocence )

The issue seems to be that many people think Terry is a clearing and thus want to see him brought down... the case wasn't brought by Ferdinand (who didn't hear the alleged comment) but due to a complaint (or many ?) by a member(s) of the public .. In the Suarez case I don't think anyone brought it directly to the attention of the police so it wasnt investigated

As a side it is mildly amusing that Ashley Cole is being brought in as a character witness on behalf of Terry .. Amusing in the sense that Cole married a woman who racially abused a cleaner in a nightclub toilet and in the sense of the old Internet rumour that they had a marriage of convienience to prove that he wasn't gay and she wasn't a racist

Anyone else find it irritating that we were denied the spectacle of QPR refusing to shake Terry's hand because both clubs agreed to forego the handshake? Effectively protecting Terry from public ridicule. Bloody spoilsports.

Because it would be a waste of time and resources. The CPS are effectively doing the FA's job in this case. The CPS will come to their conclusions and those findings will be the basis for any (or no) action from the FA. No point 2 bodies doing exactly the same work.

BBC

The Football Association is set to remove the England captaincy from John Terry, with an announcement before the weekend, the BBC has learned.

FA chairman David Bernstein has spoken to board members and the majority view is Terry should be stood down. He would still be available for selection.

It would be the second time Terry has been stripped of the captaincy.

Terry is due to stand trial in July over racial abuse allegations after an incident with QPR's Anton Ferdinand.

The Chelsea defender has entered a plea of not guilty to the charge.

Bernstein is expected to speak to England manager Fabio Capello about the issue on Friday.

Capello has until now maintained the position that Terry, 31, is innocent until proven guilty and that he should be free to select him as his captain until his trial is over.

There is some nervousness among board members as to how Capello will react, with some fearing he will see it as undue interference in team affairs.

But there is now an acceptance among the FA hierarchy that the matter should be taken out of his hands.

The FA has been forced to act after Terry's case was adjourned until 9 July - a week after the Euro 2012 finals end - ensuring that the affair will dominate the build-up to the championships.

For some time now Bernstein has been growing increasingly concerned at the FA's position on Terry.

Some board members have lobbied him to take decisive action to ensure the FA is not accused of being weak on racism.

Black players within the England squad have also been putting pressure on the Professional Footballers Association to take a stronger stance on Terry.

This is believed to have also played a part in forcing the FA to show greater leadership on the issue.

It would be the second time Terry has been stripped of the England captaincy. Capello removed him from the role in February 2010 following allegations he had an affair with an England team-mate's ex-girlfriend.

Terry was re-instated as England captain 13 months later with Capello saying "one year of punishment is enough".

Can't believe they've set his trial after the Euro's. Shocking example to set, just shocking. :(

To be fair its probably just the first available space. In Magistrate's court defenders and prosecutors have no say in when a trial is held. You get the date you are given.

I've got cases I'm booking into Court now and my 1st available date is May 5th.

Besides, its not like England are going to win the Euro's or make the final so that is no worry at all.

I've got cases I'm booking into Court now and my 1st available date is May 5th.

How are you going to plead?

Very good. :clap:

I really should stop flapping my knob out in public shouldn't I.

Not entirely sure it's a great precedent to strip him of the captaincy at this stage. Yes he looks guilty. Yes we as fans can rip the piss and call him all the names under the sun. But legally he has not been found guilty of anything yet and from that legal point of view you are at this stage punishing an innocent man before he has had a right to defend himself.

The real problem here is the pathetic date of the trial. If that was a sensible date, like it should be, then the verdict would do the job for them. But then in all likelyhood they'd have to go to the Euros without him and we can't have that. Kicking racism out of football is all very good as long as it doesn't inconvenience the squad selection of one of the major teams.

So basically, they've had the date rigged to suit them so they had better just get on with it. That includes keeping an innocent Terry as captain. Suck it up FA, you cowards.

Â