• Herd
    • Bent
    • Agbonlahor
    • Cuellar (for Hutton 41)
    • Heskey (for N'Zogbia 60)
    • Albrighton (for Bannan 78)

Was a really open and attacking game until the sending off

Awful sending off decision, ruined a good game

The goals we conceeded were piss poor shudnt be letting goals in from corners.

We created F all second half. Mcleish did not make the right calls. Heskey for Bannan? All goal kicks were going str8 over him shud have played him up top

There was a lot of abuse aimed at our manager last year for our dodgy defense.

We now have a manager that some have claimed will sure up the defense.....

... except we have now conceded 5 goals in 2 games from corners and simple defensive mistakes.

I'm certain people will blame the quality of the opposition last week and the sending off this week but the simple fact is that our defence is awful - especially from set pieces.

McLeish had better sort it soon.

What about the games before the last 2 were we shit at defending in them?

That's right ignore those and remember 2, makes sense I suppose.

He is proving to be a liability in our defense, brink back Carlos Cuellar and we certainly wont be conceding CHEAP free header goals like we did today from that corner.

You mean like the two cheap goals we conceded yesterday with Carlos on the pitch yesterday.

Hope there are three worse teams than us come the end of the season. Cheers Randy

I know you crave for attention with posts like these, so dunno why I am even responding.

Randy.does.not.have.the.money!

I know you like to ignore that and want a new Man City owner to buy us, which would be terrible.

Jealousy is pathetic whatever age.

Football.is.not.about.money!

Sooooooo many fans not just Villa ones have forgotten that.

Do you think all other fans in all divisions apart from the top 4 are miserable supporting their club?

Loads of full stadiums full of miserable folk then.

First goal was on Dunney (who is playing very well) and Collins and 2nd goal was just a once in a lifetime amazing goal which noone could have really defended (Cuellar was v close to his man)

For the love of GOD, can someone tell Bent not to leap 5 seconds too early every time there is a long ball played!?!?!?!?! Every time he jumps right when the ball is hoofed and has nearly landed by the time the ball reaches him, hence losing 99% of long ball 50/50s. Why doesn't someone tell him "dude wait a couple seconds before leaping, thanks"???

Cuellar defended well when he came on and actually sent in two very good crosses out of 4 attempts (better than Albrighton's 0/4 )

Cuellar should either replace Collins or start at RB. There really isn't much between him and Hutton going forward (Hutton has been utter shit so far) and his defending is solid.

I agree with clear red for Hutton, no red for Herd and that Villa weren't good enough with 11 or 10 men really.

N'zogbia was good once, right? Big move, big new contract...it's showing.

I swear it was like watching the same old GH, we can't defend anything, team. Didn't we bring in AMC to tighten up and to defend set pieces like a PL squad? You've gotta assume that teams like WBA will get their chances via set pieces...so defend the friggin things.

Frustrating.

... except we have now conceded 5 goals in 2 games from corners and simple defensive mistakes.

I'm certain people will blame the quality of the opposition last week and the sending off this week but the simple fact is that our defence is awful - especially from set pieces.

I'm not sure what your point is.

Last season we had clean sheets too (against Man Citeh, even) but it was common consensus that our defense was leaky. Much blame was put (rightly) at the feet of Houllier for that.

Apparently McLeish is a much better defensive coach, yet we are seeing much the same as last year in our most recent games.

Yes - we have had clean sheets too but McLeish himself lamented the poor defending last week and vowed to do something about it. The end result of that was that we did it again yesterday - only against much weaker opposition.

He needs to get it sorted. And now. Are you disagreeing with that?

I'm not sure what your point is.

Last season we had clean sheets too (against Man Citeh, even) but it was common consensus that our defense was leaky. Much blame was put (rightly) at the feet of Houllier for that.

Apparently McLeish is a much better defensive coach, yet we are seeing much the same as last year in our most recent games.

Yes - we have had clean sheets too but McLeish himself lamented the poor defending last week and vowed to do something about it. The end result of that was that we did it again yesterday - only against much weaker opposition.

He needs to get it sorted. And now. Are you disagreeing with that?

My point is that your claiming we're going back to old ways after two games, ignoring the previous ones where we were fairly solid certainly better than last year.

So if we had been like last season all this, rather than just the previous two games you would have a point. But as there is a clear difference you don't have a point.

Saying MacLeish is apparently a better defensive coach is nearer here or there, as it's only a few saying that.

Your right thought needs to be sorted and if it continues your original point might have some merit.

lol.

We were robbed - oh well lets forget this one and move on. Was the sending off really that bad, what happened...?

Like I always say the MON doubters have got their way....!

The mans performance in the transfer market has set us back years.....and i ain't so sure we are in any better hands, but i will wait and see.

Ludicrous myth.

Overall profit on his transfers and as successful as we are ever going to be while he was here.

Thank **** for Blackburn, Wigan, Bolton and Wolves. Hopefully 3 of these teams will prove shit enough over the course of the season to keep us up.

Thanks Randy, your managerial appointments to date have been shit and you have now saddled us with a muppet.

My point is that your claiming we're going back to old ways after two games, ignoring the previous ones where we were fairly solid certainly better than last year.

So if we had been like last season all this, rather than just the previous two games you would have a point. But as there is a clear difference you don't have a point.

Saying MacLeish is apparently a better defensive coach is nearer here or there, as it's only a few saying that.

Your right thought needs to be sorted and if it continues your original point might have some merit.

Please don't try to shoehorn what I said into your subjective arguments about better or worse or returning to last season's form.

Please don't turn my criticism of defense into an "overreaction" or "hate mongering" against McLeish as you seem to have a habit of doing whenever criticism arises (valid or not).

Read what I have written and understand this:

The last 2 games have seen us ship 5 soft goals. We need to fix that immediately. Or do you disagree?

My only point was that Houllier got the blame last year for bad defense (and rightly so) so McLeish will get it too - only more so as he vowed to fix it last week and is regarded as a good defensive coach.

He needs to fix our sudden defensive malaise and do it quickly. End of.

I felty weird coming away from Villa Park yesterday, we lost, we lost a local derby - I should have been gutted, annoyed etc...

But, whether you call it dillusional, claret and blue specced or what-ever. I felt quite happy.

1. For the first time since the Cup Semi , I enjoyed watching the Villa. I've said many times over the past year, I just dont get the same buzz I used to get. Well yesterday, I did. Until the fight went out of us after about 75 mins, I was actually enoying what I saw. I thought it was exciting.

2. I dont give a toss what anyone says, the sending off totally changed the match completely. Up until that point I actually said to the guy behind me "this is the best I've seen us look in years". I could see that, given his own personnel, the way McLeish will like to play, and I liked it.

3. From above, McLeish's team. I can see what he is doing. At the start, he flitting Bannan in to the odd game, then , when he was used to it, he is now first choice. The same is happening with Herd - I predict, the next one will be Clark.

4. There were huge negatives aswell - the defending is bloody woeful. But the defence bar Hutton (which I will come to in a minute) is the same defence that shipped 7 at Chelsea, 6 at Newcastle etc... This defence is crap - simple, McLeish knows it, and I expect him to reshape it.

Hutton - he looks awful, but is it him. I watched time and time again yesterday, Albion try and attack Warnock, answer, the couldn't, coz when they did, they had Gabby tracking back, doubling up, there was ALWAYS Gabby between Warnock and the opposing player.

The other side, Hutton was 2-1 and sometimes 3-1 on vitually every occasion whilst NZogbia was holding his waste on the half way line. THAT was the problem with Hutton. So, although awful I reserve judgement until he gets a player in front of him that will give him support.

5. NZogbia , I was wrong, I said at the time, hed prove better than Downing. How wrong I was, he is CRAP !!!! - and I cant see him getting any better. This isnt about settling, this is the same as ireland, the guy is a waster !.

Anyway - we lost, but I can see very promising signs. I hope McLeish does the following. Get us safe 9which we will be, there is not a hell of us going down. Wigan, Blackburn. Norwich, Swansea (no matter how they play now, same as Hull and Blackpool) will all be below us no matter how crap we are. So get us safe, then just rip the team up, bring in Bannan, Clark, Herd, Lichaj, Albrighton, Fonz , delph - keep in Bent, Gabby, Given, Hutton etc... ship out Dunne, Collins, Warnock, Heskey, Petrov and co.

Give them 8-10 games (whenever we get safe) and although we will lose more than we win, we will see which kids will make it, which aren't, then go and reshape next July for the future.

I saw hope in defeat yesterday - so weirdly, I'm quite happy.

Oh - Herd was SUPERB for 32 minutes !!! - motm

Piss poor before and after the sending off

WE HAVE NO MIDFIELD

We keep trying different personel and it doesnt work, mainly because we have NO defensive/athletic/energetic central midfielder at the club

Knowing Petrov is a guaranteed starter each week is slowly making me lose the will to live. He was ABYSMAL again yesterday and continually passed backwards instead of taking the bull by the horns

He's the one that's supposed to be captian and leading by example. Pathetic effort from him

When your little nephew looks at you with 'why are you making me sit through this crap' eyes and you know he'd rather be anywhere else you start to feel embarassed

Yes McLeish isan idiot for bringing Heskey, a carthorse striker on as a midfielder and he should be bashed for it

But the board must take all the blame for this pathetic situation that we find ourselves in. Lose 3 of our main creative outlets from a season of pain (Young, Downing, Walker) and the midfield 'anchor' (NRC) replace none and what did we expect to happen ?

Going by that match yesterday, we aren't even good enough to finish mid table

By Christmas time we'll be well and truly in the mire (again) and the manager will get the flak and the real culprits will remain invisible and refuse to face up to their mistakes once again

Â