Xbox One

hogso

Yeah, i checked my account and nothing has game out. Seems like they only charged if you have broken the warranty sticker on the back or you don't send the broken one back within 14 days. Think once this is all sorted im gonna buy the extended warranty from ms for £59.99. You also get 2 controller replacement in those 3 years.

Noooooo! You're covered under the Sales of Goods act. I can understand sending it back to Microsoft now in order to get a replacement faster but after the stocking issues are sorted (in the next 3 months or so) you'll be able to take it back to the retailer and get a replacement immediately,

The warranty wont cover you for anything the Sales of Goods act doesn't do (I've never known one to cover deliberate misuse).

• Like 1

Yeah, i checked my account and nothing has game out. Seems like they only charged if you have broken the warranty sticker on the back or you don't send the broken one back within 14 days. Think once this is all sorted im gonna buy the extended warranty from ms for £59.99. You also get 2 controller replacement in those 3 years.

Noooooo! You're covered under the Sales of Goods act. I can understand sending it back to Microsoft now in order to get a replacement faster but after the stocking issues are sorted (in the next 3 months or so) you'll be able to take it back to the retailer and get a replacement immediately,

The warranty wont cover you for anything the Sales of Goods act doesn't do (I've never known one to cover deliberate misuse).

The warranty has to be bought within 45 days. I know you get a standard year out of it, but getting an extra 2 years after that would be nice.

Bolded- I have already tried to return it to Asda and they only offered me a refund. Check my other posts.

The warranty has to be bought within 45 days. I know you get a standard year out of it, but getting an extra 2 years after that would be nice.

Bolded- I have already tried to return it to Asda and they only offered me a refund. Check my other posts.

The law gives you 6 years 'warranty'with your retailer for an electronic device. Asda offered you refund because they haven't got any stock, not because they won't replace it in future, as RunRickyRun had said.

You're going to give Microsoft 60 quid for something the law gives you for free.

6 years is a misunderstanding of the legislation. You do not have a '6 year warranty', the act is a lot more vague than that, products should last 'a reasonable amount of time' for the purpose for which they're intended.

6 years is the limit in which you can bring a claim, meaning you can seek reparations years after the thing breaks, it does not mean that goods are expected to last 6 years.

Having said that, extended warranties are very much a con.

Edited by Davkaus

6 6 Years? All the lady told me on the phone was that item was excluded from being exchanged.

The law dictates that any goods you buy are required to work for a reasonable period. In England that's 6 years for an electronic device. If in that period the device stops working, the retailer is required to offer you replacement or refund. Asda clearly don't have any stock to replace items with so offered a refund. It's nothing to do with exchanging it, the staff member was clearly in the wrong there.

6 6 Years? All the lady told me on the phone was that item was excluded from being exchanged.

The law dictates that any goods you buy are required to work for a reasonable period. In England that's 6 years for an electronic device. If in that period the device stops working, the retailer is required to offer you replacement or refund. Asda clearly don't have any stock to replace items with so offered a refund. It's nothing to do with exchanging it, the staff member was clearly in the wrong there.

The Sales of Goods Act at not time refers to a duration of time which products should last.

The 6 year duration comes from the Statue of Limitations which allows you to bring a claim for a breach of contract for 6 years. That doesn't mean all goods should last 6 years. They should last 'a reasonable period of time', and you can bring a claim for up to 6 years after the time of purchase. The two are not the same.

For example, it's probably not reasonable to expect a £10 toaster to last for 6 years, but if it broke after 3 months, you'd have another 6 years to make a claim, if you wanted.

Edited by Davkaus

In England and Wales, the act you refer to is the "Limitations Act".

Toasters aren't electronic. They are mechanical and electrical. I wouldn't expect a toaster to last much past the manufacturer's warranty. There is a lot of precedent that high end electronic items are expected by the "reasonable man" of the SoGA to last more than six years.

Just phoned Asda Direct again and they said the item can only be offered a refund. I said is that because of no stock available and they said no" it's our policy". They must be very misinformed then? :suspect:

Edited by Daniel

Just phoned Asda Direct again and they said the item can only be offered a refund. I said is that because of no stock available and they said no" it's our policy". They must be very misinformed then? :suspect:

They can have a policy of only refunding, but I would be surprised if they did so across the board on consoles. I'm sure a family member of mine has replaced a console with Asda before now. I'd be fairly sure it'll be a stock thing and they've just initiated a policy in the time being too only refund.

I have another one so hopefully it will work when I set it up later. Game made me buy the warranty for holding on to the console for a few hours.

What???

How can they make you buy something? Should be a cooling off period just ring up and cancel.

Interesting. I will look into it. If it really covers breakage, ie dropped controllers etc then I may consider keeping as I have a 2 year old but need to see how real it is they would replace. Still 60 quid for a warranty is a bit steep I think.

I have another one so hopefully it will work when I set it up later. Game made me buy the warranty for holding on to the console for a few hours.

I saw that they were planning to take the word "gullible" out of the dictionary next year.  Perhaps you could check for me?

Â