The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Strangely enough, now that it looks as though he'll be gone come what may, I feel less hatred towards Alex.

I was against the idea from the start but gave him the benefit of the doubt as the second he was no longer SHA manager I ceased to care about where he came from. I even thought he'd be able to sort out our shaky defence, at the very least, and I didn't even expect much from an attacking point of view. What we got, unfortunately, was neither. I'm still, even now, trying to work out our style of play. It's like we're a counter-attacking team without the attacking bit.

I do sympathise with some of the injuries he's had to endure. To lose both first choice centre halves, your captain and best (and only) goalscorer must be a nightmare but, as we had witnessed earlier this season, even with these players fit we were playing terrible defensive football.

For me the inquest begins now. Why was this allowed to happen? and how can we stop it happening next season? are the two biggest questions that need answering.

I really think that he will be here next season, I just cant see RL holding his hands up to a **** up.

He will justify it with it being a transition, injuries and using another managers players and the need for him to bring in his own.

Strangely enough, now that it looks as though he'll be gone come what may, I feel less hatred towards Alex.

I understand and agree with you. It's human nature though. We felt trapped with him and now that there's a way out we can at least be ambivalent towards him. It was the same with (I'm loathe to mention him) Ellis. While under his regime, there seemed no escape and that gave rise to a resentment, but once he was on his way, he could be seen as the (now) harmless old codger who merely tried and failed.

Oh the irony, first the worry and stress of relation (almost over) now the worry and stress that the manager may be kept on

It just gets better and better being a villa fan !

Won't just be Eck's head that fans are after if he doesn't sack him. I don't see any other way round it.

He can get away with an atrocious managerial appointment if he humbles up and does what's needed to be done, he won't get away with stubbornly standing behind him.

I too was in the "Let's give him a chance" camp and I hoped that he would do great at Villa but, as the season wore on - particularly since January , I have wanted him gone. This just hasn't been anywhere near good enough. He would get a good win/performance and then, next game, do himself no favours by picking some weird line up resulting in an absysmal performance. I actually feel quite sorry for him and don't think he should have to take all the personal abuse. He initally seemed proud to be taking the Villa job and he obviously didn't intend for it all to go wrong. Let him go now but, we, as fans, should show a little dignity and not subject him (or his wife and family if true) to any further personal abuse. Let's hope that we stay up , get a new Manager who we could all rally behind and hope for much, much better things next season, and no repeat of this season ever again! (PS What's happened to the rumours of the arab buy out?)

If we're taking promising foreigners then I'll have Solskjaer. He walked the Norwegian league with Molde giving them their first ever title using very attacking football. I'm told that's like taking Fulham and walking the Premier League.

I'd gamble on Solskjaer to, not sure he's ready yet but if we wait to long he might get snapped up by a bigger club.

Not sure winning the title with Molde is anywhere like winning it with Fulham thou, they are a pretty decent club by Tippeliga standards althou they have been anything but consistant in rescent years. I'd say it's more like winning the Eredivisie with Twente. And we all know what happened when McClaren moved to Wolfsburg...

I understand and agree with you. It's human nature though. We felt trapped with him and now that there's a way out we can at least be ambivalent towards him. It was the same with (I'm loathe to mention him) Ellis. While under his regime, there seemed no escape and that gave rise to a resentment, but once he was on his way, he could be seen as the (now) harmless old codger who merely tried and failed.

Good analogy. I seem to remember the venomous hatred directed towards Ellis at the time. Now people view him as a bit of a character and some even look back at his time at the Villa with misty eyes.

Somehow doubt we'll hold McLeish in such high esteem but I can now sympathise with the man (slightly). Don't get me wrong he's a terrible manager and I would be livid if Randy was even contemplating keeping him on, yet he took the job when others wouldn't and unfortunately **** it up. Hopefully he'll serve as a warning to Randy to pick his future managers more wisely.

Yeah again I agree which is why I think ambivalence is the perfect word. It lets you sympathise to a point, while remembering his wrongs.

Aston Villa goalkeeper Shay Given says the squad are "all right behind" manager Alex McLeish as they fight for Premier League survival.
(BBC)

Just been having a look stats for past managers.

In terms of points per game in our top flight seasons since 1981-2 (when 3 points for a win was introduced) AMc is currently on course to achieve the SECOND WORST performance of any manager.

Only the woeful failure of Mr McNeill in 1986-7 saves him from being bottom. Even if he wins his final two games, he will only just crawl above DOL, Dr Jo, GT Mk1 and Graham Turner in their worst seasons.

This man has failed utterly and has to go.

manrank.jpg

If we're taking promising foreigners then I'll have Solskjaer. He walked the Norwegian league with Molde giving them their first ever title using very attacking football. I'm told that's like taking Fulham and walking the Premier League.

I'd gamble on Solskjaer to, not sure he's ready yet but if we wait to long he might get snapped up by a bigger club.

Not sure winning the title with Molde is anywhere like winning it with Fulham thou, they are a pretty decent club by Tippeliga standards althou they have been anything but consistant in rescent years. I'd say it's more like winning the Eredivisie with Twente. And we all know what happened when McClaren moved to Wolfsburg...

And we'd get a letter of recommendation from Sir Alex :D

McLeish may or may not go. He seems to be a beaten man after the game v Bolton, but he has always said that he wouldn't walk away, regardless of what happened.

So he leaves. Who will want to come in and carry on the 'transitional' work?

I see on here that names are being thrown around, but we still have an issue where wages and our perilous financial situation are concerned. A new manager will still have to work within those constraints which may put many off.

McLeish may or may not go. He seems to be a beaten man after the game v Bolton, but he has always said that he wouldn't walk away, regardless of what happened.

So he leaves. Who will want to come in and carry on the 'transitional' work?

I see on here that names are being thrown around, but we still have an issue where wages and our perilous financial situation are concerned. A new manager will still have to work within those constraints which may put many off.

I was under the impression that a bit of money is available to spend in the summer along with the wage bill being reduced due to outgoing players (sales and contracts expiring) therefore freeing up wages for potential new arrivals?

Or did I get the wrong end of the stick somewhere?

I was also in the 'give the guy a chance' camp back in August. I actually thought he'd be a bit like Gregory - turn us into a tough old boot of a team, strong at home, decent win % etc.

Yes it's all gone wrong and yes he has to go, but as I said in another thread, the players have just not performed this year.

The main reasons he has to leave are the atmosphere at the club now in my opinion. I think once you've lost the home crowd and the views of the local press your situation is un-recoverable.

If (for some unearthly reason!) he was still here this August, even if our start was decent I don't think he's capable now of getting everyone from the board to the fans pulling in the same direction. I've got no hatred for the guy, he's come in and given it a go but I think he's using a system that doesnt suit our personnel, and he's got big calls wrong like selections/substitutions in too many big games.

For the good of the club we need a fresh start - but that involves whoever the new guy is coming in and having more of a chance financially than AM did. Like Merson said on Soccer Saturday just gone, to get back to where we were an injection of about "£200 million" is needed!!

I was under the impression that a bit of money is available to spend in the summer along with the wage bill being reduced due to outgoing players (sales and contracts expiring) therefore freeing up wages for potential new arrivals?

Or did I get the wrong end of the stick somewhere?

I think the term is "should" be available. Personally think it's just lip service to sell season tickets or guess work by the press. I expect 2-3 free transfers plus around £10m-£15m to spend. Hardly an enticing prospect for any new manager.

Â