The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i do not understand one thing about AMcL. his tactictal approach. how the hell can not he stop i.e. collins to blindly kick the ball upfield? i do not know if you have different labour code in England, but if the same player (employee) is doing same mistakes again and again on which he was warned previously, could he be punished through the salary (fines)? i would kick the doors with him if he was repeating the same mistakes. i do not get it.

i do not understand one thing about AMcL. his tactictal approach. how the hell can not he stop i.e. collins to blindly kick the ball upfield? i do not know if you have different labour code in England, but if the same player (employee) is doing same mistakes again and again on which he was warned previously, could he be punished through the salary (fines)? i would kick the doors with him if he was repeating the same mistakes. i do not get it.

I agree with you. But it was the same with MON and Houllier

It's the SPL. It really isn't hard to win trophies with either of the Old Firm clubs. He also finished 3rd with Rangers you know...

You dont need to tell me he finished 3rd. Im aware of his negatives as much as I am aware of his positives. hence why I have a more balanced opinion of him whereby I, whilst thinking hes not good enough, dont makeridiculous statements with absolutely no evidence to back them up with :winkold:

dont makeridiculous statements with absolutely no evidence to back them up with :winkold:
Neither do I :?

Ian Holloway is better than Alex Mcliesh, is imo, a ridiculous statement based on zero evidence.

It's opinion, just like your opinion that McLeish is better than Holloway.

The luck they got in the final goes without saying.

Yeah they won but it was very much a fluke.

The luck you talk about does that include when in the 2nd minute Bowyer was put through one on one and Szczesny brought him down, only for the play to be stopped flagging Bowyer for offside even though he was onside, yeah I guess that was lucky, for Arsenal.

Id take the holloway style of football over the McLeish style of football any day of the week

I don't get that - cuz Holloways style of football got Blackpool relegated. McLeish's style might well keep us up having been beaten less than 15 times (I think that is what will happen anyway)

That cup was a fluke.

:D Brilliant. Fluked 5 wins on the bounce?

Why dont you give credit where its due?

Shall I tell you where I am -

I think (atm) - and i mean by that the last couple of months, Alex Mcliesh is struggling at Villa. For me, things must improve dramatically. However, I am not going to sit here and try to convince myself that any man and his dog is a better option.

If you honestly believe Holloway is better than I of course respect your opinion, but you can probably gather, I dont agree and nothing you have suggested has even remotely made me think about giving it the time of day.

How about looking at the individual games? The hardest team they had to face to get to the final was a Villa side decimated by injuries and on a very poor run of form, and even then we were the better team. They were also a penalty kick away from being knocked out by Brentford as well. The luck they got in the final goes without saying.

I don't think it matters what I say, clearly you rate McLeish to an extent and don't rate Holloway (I don't rate Holloway either to be fair) and I don't think anything I say will change that opinion.

So would our league cup final in 2010 have been a fluke? - Baring in mind we didnt really play anyone, and Sunderland couldnt hit a barn door in the 4th round?

I dont necessarily rate Mcliesh. Just rate him more than Holloway. And 8 major trophies supports that.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

you mean one major trophy

The SPL title, Scottish League Cup and Scottish Cup have never been and will never be major trophies.

Any competition where you only have to beat one team to win a trophy will never be major.

If Villa were moved down to the blue square premier division with somebody like Everton then that would be equivalent to how Scottish football is. Two fairly big clubs and a load of part timers.

Im more concerned with his record in Scotland where he manged to take Motherwell from 2nd into two relegation battles and got Hibs relegated in his first season much like he did with Blues.

He also spent a fortune at Rangers and lost 7 old firm games in a row and managed to go on a 10 game winless streak with Rangers in the SPL which is a club record.

Holloway has not been fortunate enough to get bigger club jobs like McLeish and thats probably due to the fact he doesnt get a glowing reference from Sir Alex Ferguson every time he is unemployed.

I would rather watch a Holloway team play football than a McLeish team any day of the week.

Id take the holloway style of football over the McLeish style of football any day of the week

I don't get that - cuz Holloways style of football got Blackpool relegated. McLeish's style might well keep us up having been beaten less than 15 times (I think that is what will happen anyway)

That was due to lack of talent at Blackpool. With our squad and all our attacking talent Holloway would do better than McLeish IMO.

Could you imagine how few points Blackpool would have got if they had played one up front and everybody else in their own half?

Just watching Barcelona, nearly sheading a tear. Our football truely is the Sunday league equivalent, thanks Mcleish!

And guys, can you stop talking about Hollaway like he is good. He might have played a little attacking football, but tactically he was clueless, I would"nt even have him over Mcleish and believe that's saying something!!!!

That cup was a fluke.

:D Brilliant. Fluked 5 wins on the bounce?

Why dont you give credit where its due?

Shall I tell you where I am -

I think (atm) - and i mean by that the last couple of months, Alex Mcliesh is struggling at Villa. For me, things must improve dramatically. However, I am not going to sit here and try to convince myself that any man and his dog is a better option.

If you honestly believe Holloway is better than I of course respect your opinion, but you can probably gather, I dont agree and nothing you have suggested has even remotely made me think about giving it the time of day.

How about looking at the individual games? The hardest team they had to face to get to the final was a Villa side decimated by injuries and on a very poor run of form, and even then we were the better team. They were also a penalty kick away from being knocked out by Brentford as well. The luck they got in the final goes without saying.

I don't think it matters what I say, clearly you rate McLeish to an extent and don't rate Holloway (I don't rate Holloway either to be fair) and I don't think anything I say will change that opinion.

So would our league cup final in 2010 have been a fluke? - Baring in mind we didnt really play anyone, and Sunderland couldnt hit a barn door in the 4th round?

I dont necessarily rate Mcliesh. Just rate him more than Holloway. And 8 major trophies supports that.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

you mean one major trophy

The SPL title, Scottish League Cup and Scottish Cup have never been and will never be major trophies.

Any competition where you only have to beat one team to win a trophy will never be major.

If Villa were moved down to the blue square premier division with somebody like Everton then that would be equivalent to how Scottish football is. Two fairly big clubs and a load of part timers.

Im more concerned with his record in Scotland where he manged to take Motherwell from 2nd into two relegation battles and got Hibs relegated in his first season much like he did with Blues.

He also spent a fortune at Rangers and lost 7 old firm games in a row and managed to go on a 10 game winless streak with Rangers in the SPL which is a club record.

Holloway has not been fortunate enough to get bigger club jobs like McLeish and thats probably due to the fact he doesnt get a glowing reference from Sir Alex Ferguson every time he is unemployed.

I would rather watch a Holloway team play football than a McLeish team any day of the week.

I already had a low opinion of McClown and his managerial capabilities, but reading some of those facts you have given it has got worse. The man is useless.

How is this clown in charge of our once great club. :lol::lol: :cry:

There was a moment last night when I think Adrian Childs said they won a cup last year and it didnt do them any good. Bollocks. Absolute bollocks. Whether they never retuurn to the prem again, they will always be known as the 2011 league cup winners. Something we havent been able to say for nearly 2 decades and Id kill for the chance to say it.
It's not bollocks. They'd probably have to win about 20 League Cups to offset the financial hit they took from dropping down. All silverware is not equal and I'd take premiership survival over the CC every time. Actually I'd consider the Euro Cup more boastworthy than the League Cup yet nobody seems to value that competition any more. SHA could well vanish without trace considering all the administrative bullshit they're in and one league cup win would be slim comfort for them then.

They also had a monumentally easy run-in in that cup, which McLeish can't take credit for unless he's got freemason/illuminati/reptile monarchy connections.

Ahh typical VT.

Forming an arguement based on the positives of one guy against the negatives of another, rather than looking at the full picture.

I know, lets make some ridiculous statement that Ian Hollaways better than Mcliesh to overexaggerate how shite Mcliesh is. In doing that tho (to make it 1% believable), we need to focus on the 1 positive of Hollaway (and ignore that it turned out to be a negative anyway) as well as focusing on all the negatives we can find regarding Mcliesh, because if we mention his 8 major trophies, his work with Motherwell, the decent finishes/promotions with Blues, and the fact that he will probably surpass many Villa fans on here (not mine) expectations, and keep us up this season, the undoubted truth that hes better than Holloway will come out.

Same bollocks happened with Mick McArthy at the start of the season. Not to mention Gary Megson.

Seriously, we get it. Not many people are fans of Mcliesh. Im not particularly - but at least give the guy a fair arguement.

Broadening what you are saying slightly I was definitely underwhelmed when we appointed McLeish as I thought the club had sold itself and the fans woefully short in terms of who we could attract. But I thought maybe RL and PF can see something I have missed and maybe he is a manager we could build something around longer term so I was prepared to give him a chance.

Sadly I have attended most home games this season and watched the biggest load of bollocks played out in front of me for many a year. McLeish is destroying Villa and if we don't get relegated this season we will next time. I don't dislike him and I have never personally abused him on this forum or any other. I just think he is a piss poor manager and that is based on watching hours of shit where not a bad squad of players by and large perform worse than my son's sunday league team. OK the players are to blame as well but overall McLeish is the man in charge.

My comment about Holloway being a better manager was unashamedly tongue in cheek. I don't rate him just as I don't rate McLeish but I really can't see him doing a worse job than our current manager and as a few posters have said we might actually play something akin to attractive football. Holloway is unashamedly a Championship grade manager as IMO is McLeish and I would want neither at Villa.

To his credit McLeish did a great job leading the shambles that is SHA to the Carling Cup. I don't care who he did or did not play, you only really remember the winners. Personally I place that win far above anything he has won in Scotland where the standard of teams is so pitifully low and there are really only two decent sides. The key measure is PL performance and in that area he has been and is being found wanting.

We now play shit and unattractive football and the whole club just reeks, to me at least, of lack of ambition. Not surprisingly the fans are voting with their feet and wallets this season and I shudder to think what will happen to attendances and season ticket sales if they persist with McLeish. But in the end that's all about Lerner and that's a whole different thread

Broadening what you are saying slightly I was definitely underwhelmed when we appointed McLeish as I thought the club had sold itself and the fans woefully short in terms of who we could attract. But I thought maybe RL and PF can see something I have missed and maybe he is a manager we could build something around longer term so I was prepared to give him a chance.

Sadly I have attended most home games this season and watched the biggest load of bollocks played out in front of me for many a year. McLeish is destroying Villa and if we don't get relegated this season we will next time. I don't dislike him and I have never personally abused him on this forum or any other. I just think he is a piss poor manager and that is based on watching hours of shit where not a bad squad of players by and large perform worse than my son's sunday league team. OK the players are to blame as well but overall McLeish is the man in charge.

My comment about Holloway being a better manager was unashamedly tongue in cheek. I don't rate him just as I don't rate McLeish but I really can't see him doing a worse job than our current manager and as a few posters have said we might actually play something akin to attractive football. Holloway is unashamedly a Championship grade manager as IMO is McLeish and I would want neither at Villa.

To his credit McLeish did a great job leading the shambles that is SHA to the Carling Cup. I don't care who he did or did not play, you only really remember the winners. Personally I place that win far above anything he has won in Scotland where the standard of teams is so pitifully low and there are really only two decent sides. The key measure is PL performance and in that area he has been and is being found wanting.

We now play shit and unattractive football and the whole club just reeks, to me at least, of lack of ambition. Not surprisingly the fans are voting with their feet and wallets this season and I shudder to think what will happen to attendances and season ticket sales if they persist with McLeish. But in the end that's all about Lerner and that's a whole different thread

Great post Harry. You are spot on.

The guy is the most uninspiring character (along with maybe Steve Kean) in Premier League management and this is reflected in the team that he sends out.

I really struggle to see how any true Villa fan can defend this appointment and still be asking others to give him a chance!

Â