The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having been a season ticket holder for nine years and having watched teams under various managers, the appointment of Alex McLeish has to be the worst choice by a country mile.

Doug Ellis, for all his faults, would have never hired McLeish. He understood the supporters, the rivalry between ourselves and SHA, and would have never rocked the boat in such a controversial fashion.

This appointment has divided fans and seemingly the playing squad, if the rumours suggested are true.

The way SHA capitulated last season was down to McLeish and Grant. When teams below them starting fighting for their lives, they dropped like a stone and in the end deserved to be relegated.

He largely escaped blame for their relegation a few years previously, yet if you look at it, he still had a good six months in the job, plus a transfer window, to have put together a side capable of staying in the PL. Once again he failed.

I heard him over the weekend on the radio state that his teams only play negative football is just a 'myth' and that he could show tapes and tapes of games where his teams have played attractive, attacking football.

I'd like to see these tapes. If he is referring to his time in Scotland as manager of Rangers then you cannot really call it a competition. There is only a two-horse race, yet on one occasion McLeish managed to finish 3rd.

The man is completely deluded. I only think he took the Villa job because he thought he could do a better job than O'Neil - continuing their rivalry from north of the border.

Do I want him at Villa? No. Did I ever want him as manager? No.

Why? Because I cannot see from his record what he brings to Aston Villa in terms of success.

I am sick of people using his SHA connections as an excuse - it is not.

I am writing this as a passionate fan of Aston Villa Football Club. Like most of you, I was willing to give McLeish time to prove the doubters wrong, myself included. Every game I go to I try to watch the game with an open mind. Then I find myself watching the same mistakes, tactics, pointless subsitutions, baffling team selections. The list goes on and on.

On Sunday, it was more of the same. Struggling to create anything of note, let alone have a shot at goal. We have the likes of Heskey on the left wing, and our most attacking players of late N'Zogbia and Ireland dropped to the bench.

We have Warnock and Hutton making mistakes in every game, whilst Cuellar sits on the bench. Collins is another one prone to errors. Dunne is the only one who seems to want to fight for the cause. It would be unfair to blame his solely.

We do miss Friedel. As much as Given is a top goalkeeper, Friedel seemed to organise the lads in front of him and command authority. We have looked a lot more disorganised since he left, especially on set pieces.

I don't know how much longer we can go on like this before Lerner/Faulkner finally wake up to the realisation that McLeish and Grant are draining the very lifeblood out of Aston Villa and killing the club.

I don't think we will be relegated as there are worse teams and McLeish seems to pull a freak result out of the bag every now and then, to keep things ticking along. If this had been last season, it would have been different.

I thought we had seen the back of the bad old days. It seems that things are going to get a whole lot worse before they get better.

Sorry for the long reply. I've been wanting to say this for months.

VTID

Having been a season ticket holder for nine years and having watched teams under various managers, the appointment of Alex McLeish has to be the worst choice by a country mile.

Doug Ellis, for all his faults, would have never hired McLeish. He understood the supporters, the rivalry between ourselves and SHA, and would have never rocked the boat in such a controversial fashion.

This appointment has divided fans and seemingly the playing squad, if the rumours suggested are true.

The way SHA capitulated last season was down to McLeish and Grant. When teams below them starting fighting for their lives, they dropped like a stone and in the end deserved to be relegated.

He largely escaped blame for their relegation a few years previously, yet if you look at it, he still had a good six months in the job, plus a transfer window, to have put together a side capable of staying in the PL. Once again he failed.

I heard him over the weekend on the radio state that his teams only play negative football is just a 'myth' and that he could show tapes and tapes of games where his teams have played attractive, attacking football.

I'd like to see these tapes. If he is referring to his time in Scotland as manager of Rangers then you cannot really call it a competition. There is only a two-horse race, yet on one occasion McLeish managed to finish 3rd.

The man is completely deluded. I only think he took the Villa job because he thought he could do a better job than O'Neil - continuing their rivalry from north of the border.

Do I want him at Villa? No. Did I ever want him as manager? No.

Why? Because I cannot see from his record what he brings to Aston Villa in terms of success.

I am sick of people using his SHA connections as an excuse - it is not.

I am writing this as a passionate fan of Aston Villa Football Club. Like most of you, I was willing to give McLeish time to prove the doubters wrong, myself included. Every game I go to I try to watch the game with an open mind. Then I find myself watching the same mistakes, tactics, pointless subsitutions, baffling team selections. The list goes on and on.

On Sunday, it was more of the same. Struggling to create anything of note, let alone have a shot at goal. We have the likes of Heskey on the left wing, and our most attacking players of late N'Zogbia and Ireland dropped to the bench.

We have Warnock and Hutton making mistakes in every game, whilst Cuellar sits on the bench. Collins is another one prone to errors. Dunne is the only one who seems to want to fight for the cause. It would be unfair to blame his solely.

We do miss Friedel. As much as Given is a top goalkeeper, Friedel seemed to organise the lads in front of him and command authority. We have looked a lot more disorganised since he left, especially on set pieces.

I don't know how much longer we can go on like this before Lerner/Faulkner finally wake up to the realisation that McLeish and Grant are draining the very lifeblood out of Aston Villa and killing the club.

I don't think we will be relegated as there are worse teams and McLeish seems to pull a freak result out of the bag every now and then, to keep things ticking along. If this had been last season, it would have been different.

I thought we had seen the back of the bad old days. It seems that things are going to get a whole lot worse before they get better.

Sorry for the long reply. I've been wanting to say this for months.

VTID

Very well said. Agree with all of it.

Listening to Neville on Sky was quite annoying.. he started by saying McLeish "has done nothing wrong" and that the fact he was at SHA is the reason protests etc is going on.. but then later on during the game he was like "this is too easy for Man City at the moment".. "Villa need to close down quicker and have a bit more attacking intent".. "Villa in possession are poor".

I wonder if he thought the same after the game, I doubt it but he wouldn't say it on air would he.

I would rather have DOL as manager than McLeish

Do me a favour.

I respect McLeish as a man as he's never talked Villa down, appears to show respect for the club and the fans, something DOL never did.

Okay he may not be the best manager, but as a bloke he seems genuine and decent.

I can't believe people are still going on about 'should he stay or should he go'

He's staying regardless

I think it will take a massive finish to the season for McLeish to save his job.

Houllier was sacked after a really strong finish

Except that's not quite right is it? Houllier's "strong finish" came when he was on sick leave. When he was actually in the dugout we were shite.

It's never going to work for him here.

We didn't want him.

We don't respect him.

We don't like him.

We don't like his approach to the game.

We don't trust him.

Players are arguing with him.

Former players don't understand his approach.

Some pundits also.

We have one of the best strikers in the country. We can't feed him.

We gave him a chance. It's come and gone.

He's out of his depth.

He is the first Villa manager I can remember who's name is never sung. It's never will be.

Hes a poor manager. With poor tatics. With no plan b.

He talks absolute BS in his post match interviews.

He drops an out of form N'Zogbia for an out of form and out of position Heskey.

He doesn't not, for me, represent what Aston Villa F.C. really is.

We have a proud tradition. Something the board, since RLs arrival, have always touched upon. They need a reality check. A ex-blues manager, with a poor record, poor management skills and poor tactics is NOT part of AVFCs tradition.

Aston Villa have what could be the England strike-force in the Euro 2012 opener against France, and I’m not sure who should be more worried by that – England fans or Villa fans.

Against Manchester City on Sunday, Villa looked like they could have played for a month without scoring.

As a matter of fact, I think they have.

I’m told that when a Villa midfielder set foot in City territory, he had to ask a team-mate the way back.

Manager Alex McLeish has ushered in a new strategy at Villa Park – if they score one goal, we’ll score none.

He’s the only gaffer in football who seems happy with a point at home and none away. That’s if you exclude Mick McCarthy.

A few miles down the road, Wolves owner Steve Morgan has been told his dressing-room ­appearances hamper performances but I’m guessing not nearly as much as McLeish’s do.

You’ve got to be on dodgy ground when Villa fans don’t warm to you even after you’ve taken Birmingham down.

A minority of Villa fans turn up at home games and protest about the manager. The vast majority stay away and protest.

Despite doubts, for differing reasons, about the futures of Harry Redknapp, Andre Villas-Boas and Owen Coyle, it’s McLeish who looks most vulnerable.

He’s 7-1 with Hills to be next Premier League gaffer to go and I’ve seen worse bets.

I’ve not seen many worse teams.

More immediately, it’s the Champions League on Wednesday, with Arsenal one of two remaining British sides still in the tournament.

If you find that hard to believe try this... Chelsea are the other.

The aggregate age of the Arsenal side is the average age of the AC Milan side but you’ve got to say the Italians at 11-10 are more over-priced than Italian shoes.

They ain’t a shoe-in but they’re close.

Next Prem boss to go (Hills): 5-2 H Redknapp, 4-1 A Villas-Boas, 5-1 O Coyle, 5-1 S Kean, 7-1 A McLeish, 7-1 No manager to go, 14-1 K Dalglish

http://tinyurl.com/6pbsqaz

the bit in bold made me laugh :lol:

Listening to Neville on Sky was quite annoying.. he started by saying McLeish "has done nothing wrong" and that the fact he was at SHA is the reason protests etc is going on.. but then later on during the game he was like "this is too easy for Man City at the moment".. "Villa need to close down quicker and have a bit more attacking intent".. "Villa in possession are poor".

I wonder if he thought the same after the game, I doubt it but he wouldn't say it on air would he.

I agree. What he was saying for most of the game was spot on, it's just that crap at the start that made no sense.

Do me a favour.

I respect McLeish as a man as he's never talked Villa down, appears to show respect for the club and the fans, something DOL never did.

Okay he may not be the best manager, but as a bloke he seems genuine and decent.

I really don't know where this perception comes from that he's a nice man.

I agree. What he was saying for most of the game was spot on, it's just that crap at the start that made no sense.

Do me a favour.

And what does it matter if he is a nice man or not. He is a shit manager.

You never hear many people who worked under Lord Ron Saunders say what a nice man he was? But the all say what a brilliant manager he was!

The media do seem to have this way of never wanting to upset managers and how would Neville have a clue about McLeish as a manager? He has never played under him!

And why o'why do people think Houllier finished strongly last year? He was ill and no where near the club with MacAllister running the side. Once GMac had realised that the best way to play that team was the MON way i.e. Ash on the wing, Petrov and NRC in the middle then we won the games surprise, surprise.

Do me a favour.

You never hear many people who worked under Lord Ron Saunders say what a nice man he was? But the all say what a brilliant manager he was!

The media do seem to have this way of never wanting to upset managers and how would Neville have a clue about McLeish as a manager? He has never played under him!

And why o'why do people think Houllier finished strongly last year? He was ill and no where near the club with MacAllister running the side. Once GMac had realised that the best way to play that team was the MON way i.e. Ash on the wing, Petrov and NRC in the middle then we won the games surprise, surprise.

I know he's a shit manager, I just don't know why people keep on saying he's a nice man.

To be fair even before Houllier was taken ill we'd just won two games on the trot for the first time that season.

The MON way? I take it if "the MON way" didn't work it wouldn't have been called such?

Do me a favour.

I know he's a shit manager, I just don't know why people keep on saying he's a nice man.

To be fair even before Houllier was taken ill we'd just won two games on the trot for the first time that season.

The MON way? I take it if "the MON way" didn't work it wouldn't have been called such?

I was agreeing with you regarding the personal attributes of AM I couldn't care less whether he is nice or not.

WoooHoo a 2 game winning streak!!!! I was probably wrong about GMac changing to the same set up as MON I think it was actually Houllier who realised his own idiot tactics and formations were making us lose every week.

To be fair in the main the MON way was play everyone in their strongest position and never change the side. MON was a good manager and I for one wish that Randy hadn't got rid!

Do me a favour.

I was agreeing with you regarding the personal attributes of AM I couldn't care less whether he is nice or not.

WoooHoo a 2 game winning streak!!!! I was probably wrong about GMac changing to the same set up as MON I think it was actually Houllier who realised his own idiot tactics and formations were making us lose every week.

To be fair in the main the MON way was play everyone in their strongest position and never change the side. MON was a good manager and I for one wish that Randy hadn't got rid!

to be fair to Houllier, he was betrayed by some players. in a lot of games we were dominating possesion and shots and despite the run of play we lost several games due to idiotic mistakes by players mentioned earlier. some of these players were axed later on. this is the fact.

The Browns are the laughingstock of the NFL. "Aren't that good" is a compliment really.

NE Ohio is a dump...trust me, I lived there for 6 years.

One thing we may see is the media over there might ask him some "real" questions. In the US, sports journalists are permitted, even encouraged, to ask tough questions. You really see 1/10th of the the bs, fluff pieces over there. Furthermore, ALL head coaches are forced to make themselves available for media questions and FORCED to answer whatever they're asked (otherwise fines of 25k+ are imposed). No secrecy over there and it's a positive for the fans, because they are actually kept in the loop.

Surely his time would be better spent preparing a new CB partnership and defence for next weeks relegation 6 pointer???

This type of shit typifies Villa at the moment, we're on the cusp of f**king all the hard work away and it appears the club haven't (or don't want to) acknowledge it and instead go off on a 'fact-finding' jolly.

AVFC is an ostrich with it's head buried in the sand waiting for the season to end hoping we survive.

Â