The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

but you are basing that lambert etc are better managers on what?

their ability to get clubs promoted?

does that mean we should get Warnock in?

or maybe look towards Di Canio as he looks as though Swindon will go up this year.

They are still risks, yes they could come good but more likely not to. Look at Martinez, whilst people think he is a good manager I bet Wigan go down this year and they nearly did the year before.

Giving someone loads of money to spend doesn't mean they will spend it wisely nor does it mean it can propell a championship winning manager to Premier league regular.

I am basing it on managers who I believe would be capable of building something that would take the club forward.

But again, what does that have to do with your original argument?

You said we would not get a decent manager because of the lack of investment. There was and has been and it would have been enough to have a go at building something.

I am not getting into whether the money was well spent or not, but I will say look at the age range of those signings and it provides some indication as to how far down the track McLeish is looking. We should be looking to the future and building, we simply are not doing that at this time.

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yawn no answer, just as i thought, some on here must be getting paid by the GC , blind loyalty works in the army, in the real word it just makes you look rather stupid

the fact that you think people are loyal to him let alone thinking that people hold him as some sort of messiah shows how deluded you are.

Brummy.. are you just on the wind up or something?

There are people who are still willing to give McLeish a chance but that is a very long way away from them liking him and thinking he's doing a good job. There is no feasible way that you can't know this, what's wrong with you?

to be honest he hasnt done that bad a job. more points than last season, and thats when the XI he has picked or most games has had warnock hutton and gabby who might aswell not be on the pitch. he knows what is going wrong and a least he is trying to change things

This constantly blaming the manager for every upset this season is really counter-productive. He has this association with Birmingham City around his neck (I have said many times that this doesn't matter a jot to me, I started supporting Villa in the early 60's when Blues were nothing and they mean absolutely nothing to me). He is perceived to be a 'negative' and 'rubbish' manager on here; someone who we could easily have bettered when appointing yet another new manager, last summer.

But think about it. He is clearly being hamstrung by our current financial policy, which may ultimately be beneficial to the Club. We will do no business today, despite a clear need for reinforcements. He has lost two of his best players plus the return to parent club of a dynamic full back who helped Houllier/MacAllister achieve some acceptable degree of final finish, after a pretty disastrous, depressing last season.

Even a perceived up and coming dynamic young manager would not enter into discussions with the Club last summer when approached. Preferring yet another relegation battle.

It may seem unpalatable to everyone on here and it's a good job we don't all agree, but continuity is the only way forward at the moment. Sadly, Villa are a middle table Premier League outfit at the moment and they need to fight to maintain that status. Any more upheaval at the moment or even in the summer could be disastrous.

This constantly blaming the manager for every upset this season is really counter-productive. He has this association with Birmingham City around his neck (I have said many times that this doesn't matter a jot to me, I started supporting Villa in the early 60's when Blues were nothing and they mean absolutely nothing to me). He is perceived to be a 'negative' and 'rubbish' manager on here; someone who we could easily have bettered when appointing yet another new manager, last summer.

But think about it. He is clearly being hamstrung by our current financial policy, which may ultimately be beneficial to the Club. We will do no business today, despite a clear need for reinforcements. He has lost two of his best players plus the return to parent club of a dynamic full back who helped Houllier/MacAllister achieve some acceptable degree of final finish, after a pretty disastrous, depressing last season.

Even a perceived up and coming dynamic young manager would not enter into discussions with the Club last summer when approached. Preferring yet another relegation battle.

It may seem unpalatable to everyone on here and it's a good job we don't all agree, but continuity is the only way forward at the moment. Sadly, Villa are a middle table Premier League outfit at the moment and they need to fight to maintain that status. Any more upheaval at the moment or even in the summer could be disastrous.

With all due respect, one excuse after another.

He knew what the score was, knew what he had to work with, knew his budget. He has spent it, all 17 million of it and his signings have not really worked at all. I cannot help feeling he spent on luxury rather than looking what was needed. Losing young and downing was a perfect opportunity to change our playing style and invest in players that can play, we brought a winger.

The only reason you make these excuses is because you have given up, the moment you say "we are a mid table team" you may as well not bother.

I think a new manager in the summer would be the best thing that could happen. We might go somewhere, whereas under McLeish, I suspect we might be fighting for our lives whilst any talent we have is cherry picked.

typically i was at work till 5pm so had to make do with the bbc internet updates, half time 2-0, i looked at the stats and they had something like 68% possession and 6 shots on target to 2 for us.

but we were 2 -0 up

i spoke to a work mate who asked why i was looking shocked, i told him the score, i then said goodbye and also said to hi that we will lose 4-2, he asked why, i tild him that the manager will have a half time team talk which will **** everything up.

he thought i was joking.

i get home, find a stream just as they take their 1st pen, i then watch as my rather predictable prediction started to come true.

it isnt as if this is the first time i have said it, he play how he wants and for small amounts of the game the players forget what they are told and look half good, then GC gets his hands on the team again and it goes tits up.

didnt see first half but second half, playing 5 yards from the keepers area is not the best way to defend, i also didnt see any meaty challenges which normally slows someone like walcott down and makes him think twice, well i did see a meaty challenge, it was the replay of dunne chopping over the arsenal player for the pen.

no suprises and by the sounds of it, 2 break away goals, doesnt hide yet another poor result, especially after the 2 break away goals gave us a 2-0 margin away from home against a team and manager under loads of pressure.

qpr next is it?

can i make the excuses GC's fans will come up with?

the mark hughes factor? they are in london? blah blah blah tough game they are on the up blah blah blah new players blah blah

that should cover it, they always make shit excuses as to why it wont be a stroll in the park and to make a lame excuse before hand if we lose.

What happens if we win comfortably? What are your excuses going to be?

lets cross that bridge if we come to it shall we?

all the GC supporters refuse point blank to answer what would make them change their views of their god, their messiah, their ginger master

even when put in real simple terms such as would relegation change your mind?

but no they cant even answer that

pathetic

One of the most pathetic posts I've ever read. No, you won't get any answers from on those people on here, cause they only exist in your head.

yawn no answer, just as i thought, some on here must be getting paid by the GC , blind loyalty works in the army, in the real word it just makes you look rather stupid

Calling McLeish 'ginger cl****' makes you look rather stupid.

it isnt as if this is the first time i have said it, he play how he wants and for small amounts of the game the players forget what they are told and look half good, then GC gets his hands on the team again and it goes tits up.

Hold on a sec and let me get this straight....when we are playing well its only because the players have 'forgot' what McCleish has told them and when they are playing bad its because they are doing what Mcleish wants them to?

He knew what the score was, knew what he had to work with, knew his budget. He has spent it, all 17 million of it and his signings have not really worked at all. I cannot help feeling he spent on luxury rather than looking what was needed. Losing young and downing was a perfect opportunity to change our playing style and invest in players that can play, we brought a winger.

The only reason you make these excuses is because you have given up, the moment you say "we are a mid table team" you may as well not bother.

I think a new manager in the summer would be the best thing that could happen. We might go somewhere, whereas under McLeish, I suspect we might be fighting for our lives whilst any talent we have is cherry picked.

unless we get a stupdily rich owner like man city or move to london we will always be between 6th & 10th. dosent matter who the manager is that is where we are.

if he can win a cup with blues and finish top half with themhe must be doing something right

Eck needs to sort the defence out sharpish!

Its been an issue for 2.5 years now and nothing has changed.

Infact it seems to be getting worse.

How on earth are we go shocking at defending set pieces? We only scored our first one of the season on sunday too.

We also need a "water carrier" type player since Stan is losing his legs after a decent start to the season. the CM arnt looking to pick the ball up off the defence to start building play and were obviously a lot weaker down the flanks than previous seasons.

unless we get a stupdily rich owner like man city or move to london we will always be between 6th & 10th. dosent matter who the manager is that is where we are.

if he can win a cup with blues and finish top half with themhe must be doing something right

I disagree entirely with your post.

Money is a shortcut to success, but not necesserily the only way. Tottenham are starting to see the fruits of a progressive transfer policy that focused on younger players initially supplemented by quality. Looks like they will buy Adebyor today for 8m. 8 million!

Manchester United are not in London, Liverplop are not in London, Everton didnt move to London to get 4th place or throw silly money at it.

Some people will always find excuses why we shouldnt reasonably expect a degree of success. I would prefer that as a club we say, we want to be top four, what do we need to do to get there.

Money is a shortcut to success, but not necesserily the only way. Tottenham are starting to see the fruits of a progressive transfer policy that focused on younger players initially supplemented by quality. Looks like they will buy Adebyor today for 8m. 8 million!

Manchester United are not in London, Liverplop are not in London, Everton didnt move to London to get 4th place or throw silly money at it.

Some people will always find excuses why we shouldnt reasonably expect a degree of success. I would prefer that as a club we say, we want to be top four, what do we need to do to get there.

Just being realistic mate. I certainly haven't given up. I'd like nothing more than to see Villa back up the at the top. That's why I loved the 'O'Neil years', despite the aftermath at least then we seemed to be going somewhere!

tottenham have spent a lot more than us. obviously manchester utd and liverpool are the biggest clubs in england who will attract the best players.

spurs might buy adebayor for 8 million but he wages for a year will cost them just aas much

all of the most recent succesful clubs have spent money its a fact you cant get away from

we will always be between 6th & 10th

We wont even be doing that this season I'm afraid.

Your support of Mcleish, though admirable, is at best misplaced

Given our current league position, I would say your prediction that we wont be finishing 6th - 10th could be deemed misplaced as well Richard

Given our current league position, I would say your prediction that we wont be finishing 6th - 10th could be deemed misplaced as well Richard

I think 6th to 10th has become 8th to 12th. Neither excites me, of course, but those thinking we'll be in big trouble are incorrect IMO.

I think 6th to 10th has become 8th to 12th. Neither excites me, of course, but those thinking we'll be in big trouble are incorrect IMO.

IMO the top 2 will be man utd & man city for the next few seasons

arsenal, spurs & chelsea next, after that its pretty much open for anyone

tottenham have spent a lot more than us. obviously manchester utd and liverpool are the biggest clubs in england who will attract the best players.

spurs might buy adebayor for 8 million but he wages for a year will cost them just aas much

all of the most recent succesful clubs have spent money its a fact you cant get away from

http://astonvillacentral.com/2009/06/aston-villa-premiership-transfer-spend/

We havent spent more than Spurs, there wage cap is lower than ours, our wage bill was larger than theirs.........need I go on there?

Man Yoo I agree, but Liverplop? Seriously?

We spent money, we just wasted it. Now we have to do things the hard way and build for the future. Money does not gaurantee success!

Brummy.. are you just on the wind up or something?

There are people who are still willing to give McLeish a chance but that is a very long way away from them liking him and thinking he's doing a good job. There is no feasible way that you can't know this, what's wrong with you?

nothing is wrong with me and im not on the wind up, i suspect the ones who blindy defend GC and give no reasons for their views are on the wind up. i already posted what would make me change my opinion of him as a football manager of aston villa, perfectly reasonably and logical things which would have to change in order for my views and opinions on his suitability to manage aston villa in a fit and proper manner, yet oddly not one of these 'supporters of him' have offered any kind of answer as to what would make them change their view, even when put in REALLY simple terms.

a perfectly reasonable and balanced question which included that i was not some wind up merchant that will never change my mind, however i notice that the loudest ones who wont hear a bad word said against GC oddly enough cant give any answer

and then try and make excuses for not being able to give an answer.

it is not a difficult or trick question, it is one i would expect a normal 8 year old to be able to answer.

i may not agree with the answer but thats life, not answering it and avoiding it at all costs, making weak excuses as to why they wont answer it, well that makes them look like the wind up merchants.

i suspect most of them will 'keep right on till the end of the road', with their support of him no matter what happens, making weak excuse after weak excuse.

relegation? well it was down to the shape of the football

club losing more money than forcast - well its a down turn in the economy

fans staying away - well it was raining

football pundits on televised games saying " the worst dullest performance i have ever witnessed in the premier league" - well it was a tricky game

the excuses will keep coming.

and when they do, which some posters have been doing no matter how bad and boring we have been, it is nothing to do with the manager

the only reason we wont go down this year is not due to the manager, it is down to other teams being even more shit, this season is a weak premier league, with little tactical nous we should be looking at top 10 with no problems what so ever.

with a half decent manager 7th or 8th should be the least target

do you think we will get 7th or 8th?

getting behind the team is one thing, getting behind a clueless out of his depth one dimentional manager is another

if we have done something well i say it, if we do shit then i say it.

he has been piss poor, as have a few of the players.

i notice people supporting GC are quick to say a player is playing poor but then oddly it is nothing to do with the manager? really? REALLY?

Â