The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

Just back form the game today and unlike last season this was not a shameful display. For the first 15 minutes we were the better side and really took the game to them. There is simply no doubt about it though this is an excellent Man City side now that has moved up another gear this season has shown for me when they battered a very good Spurs side a few weeks ago. What I liked though was that even at 3 down we kept plugging away and for me deservedly got a goal and became the first side to score at their place since last season.

The football also wasn't bad.

This season Man Utd, Man City and possibly Chelsea are head and shoulders above anyone else so no shame that we lost to them and the manner of the defeat was acceptable in that we always kept going.

Lets now see how McLeish does at getting us to bounce back against the baggies.

Well said and just wish some others could be as realistic.

Very much this. We lost but at least we tried. Gave away two goals, but over all at least we tried.

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We lost 4-1 away against a team with pretty much unlimited funds for both transfers and wages which is to be expected. Unfortunately this is how football is at the moment and if the new fairplay rules are not enforced properly it's going to get even worse. The start overall has been pretty much as expected with the squad we have, wouldn't say we have done particularly poorly or well.

Very much agree with Mark.

The introduction of Clark for Collins was quite telling for me, Clark is much more of a footballer, and always tried to play the ball out yday, i thought he played well.Ireland as well looked good when he got the ball, the trouble was the distribution from Warnock, Delph and Petrov was too long and too pedstrian with little movement.

If Hutton is an example of his kind of signing then i think it is an indication of a desire for more pace and movement in the team.Contrast the amount of runs from Hutton to Warnock yday, Hutton always gave an option, Warnock only occasionally.

Citeeeh are the best team in the prem, by quite a way for me, next week will be more of a guide.

record is mixed.

It really isn't.. Winning one cup doesn't balance 2 relegations.

A bit of a one-eyed approach here.

For blues his record was two relegations (one of which was after taking over halfway through the season), one promotion, one season achieving the club's highest league placing for 50 years and one league cup.

For us it would be shit. For blues it was bloody excellent.

Mcleish didnt take them down twice - he took over late Nov/early december and they were already in the bottom 3 and struggling. In a really tough championship he bought them straight back up - then they finished their highest position for donkeys years, went on a really long unbeaten run and won a trophy which is more than we have done for 15 years.....

Mcleish didnt take them down twice - he took over late Nov/early december and they were already in the bottom 3 and struggling. In a really tough championship he bought them straight back up - then they finished their highest position for donkeys years, went on a really long unbeaten run and won a trophy which is more than we have done for 15 years.....

Came up, spent a lot of money (more than we have this season) in a similar style to Redknapp (who gets slaughtered for doing the same to win Pompey the cup) and then with all these fantastic players, highly priced and paid, he got them relegated. Which is more times than we have in the past 15 years...

What he did in the past is now irrelevant as he has been appointed, what he is doing now at Villa is how we should judge him. It's not really a debate as to whether he has done well enough in the past as I doubt he was anybody's choice for the job but he is here like it or not.

I'm yet to make a Villa fan that did want him. In fact I'm yet to meet a Villa fan who would have had him in their top 10 choices.

What I think we have though is that the majority of supporters accept that he is here now and are willing to give him a chance. Then you have those that simply can't accept he is here, will quickly jump on any negatives and it will take one hell of a run of results/performances to turn them around. A possibly unrealistic run of results given our squad and current spending power.

The two camps will then be split when looking at his past record. Those not happy with his appointment but willing to give him a chance will see that he has a mixed bag and for every negative he has a positive achievement to outweigh it. Those that simply can't/won't accept him are simply focusing on the negatives of his past record and claiming these far out weight any positives.

For what its worth I fall in to the camp of not originally wanting him, in fact being astounded by his appointment, but now he is here I am willing to give him a chance. I can fully accept that some simply can't though. What I would ask those that are struggling to accept him is judge him on what he does at Aston Villa. He wasn't dealt a very good hand in that we lost our two best players and he was given a transfer budget of -20 mill to spend over the summer. Given that he has therefore made a decent start, tightened up our defence, has the players playing with more heart/desire/pride than they have in recent times and seems to have moulded the lads into a far tighter, more together happier bunch. He has also been very respectful to those that really matter at a football club - us the supporters and has said and done all the right things.

One defeat in eight league games but with far too many draws. A decent start and given that it is still very early days a start that has earned him a little longer before anyone jumps on his back.

I'm yet to make a Villa fan that did want him. In fact I'm yet to meet a Villa fan who would have had him in their top 10 choices.

What I think we have though is that the majority of supporters accept that he is here now and are willing to give him a chance. Then you have those that simply can't accept he is here, will quickly jump on any negatives and it will take one hell of a run of results/performances to turn them around. A possibly unrealistic run of results given our squad and current spending power.

The two camps will then be split when looking at his past record. Those not happy with his appointment but willing to give him a chance will see that he has a mixed bag and for every negative he has a positive achievement to outweigh it. Those that simply can't/won't accept him are simply focusing on the negatives of his past record and claiming these far out weight any positives.

For what its worth I fall in to the camp of not originally wanting him, in fact being astounded by his appointment, but now he is here I am willing to give him a chance. I can fully accept that some simply can't though. What I would ask those that are struggling to accept him is judge him on what he does at Aston Villa. He wasn't dealt a very good hand in that we lost our two best players and he was given a transfer budget of -20 mill to spend over the summer. Given that he has therefore made a decent start, tightened up our defence, has the players playing with more heart/desire/pride than they have in recent times and seems to have moulded the lads into a far tighter, more together happier bunch. He has also been very respectful to those that really matter at a football club - us the supporters and has said and done all the right things.

One defeat in eight league games but with far too many draws. A decent start and given that it is still very early days a start that has earned him a little longer before anyone jumps on his back.

Spot on.

Would perhaps have been a good idea to have done this with Houllier too then, instead of mass hysteria.

Would perhaps have been a good idea to have done this with Houllier too then, instead of mass hysteria.

I think you'll find it all started to go wrong for Houllier in early December when after poor results/performances against Blackburn, Arsenal and Sha we then served up gutless tripe at Anfield and he lorded it in front of the Kop ignoring the fantastic supporters of the club he managed - us. This was quickly followed by the tripe we served up against Spurs, Man City and Sunderland and we found ourselves in the bottom 3. A rut we stayed in or around until the last couple of games of the season.

Despite coming in and stating that we were 7th - 12 placed club ( this a club that had just finished 6th three times on the spin, 4th most successful in history of English football, 5th highest points achieved in Prem history ) I think the majority of fans gave him a fair crack of the whip until shit results, gutless performances and disrespectful behaviour meant the tide turned against him.

Came up, spent a lot of money (more than we have this season) in a similar style to Redknapp (who gets slaughtered for doing the same to win Pompey the cup) and then with all these fantastic players, highly priced and paid, he got them relegated. Which is more times than we have in the past 15 years...

Spent a lot of money? When they came up all he signed was Dann, Ferguson and Johnson for the price of n'zogbia. and got Hart on loan. then signed Gardner and Michel in winter after they got bought by Yeung

Indeed. While I was pleased with the Houllier appointment and deeply unhappy with McLeish's I gave/am giving both of them a chance. There were certainly a fair few here who didn't really give Houllier a chance and perhaps a slightly smaller group of different people who now aren't giving McLeish a chance. It's funny actually how most of the people who didn't give Houllier a chance are now giving McLeish a chance where as some of the people who did give Houllier a chance now aren't giving McLeish a chance. :lol:

It would be nice if everyone could give the manager a chance for a change but this is VT where hysteria rules so I'm not getting my hopes up.

For those anti Mcleish I would suggest it is only his dour, unflappable mentality, and yes his defensive organisation, that is going to hold our Club together this season.

The fans are pissed off, the players still appear shell shocked from MON going and the debacle that followed, and Randy appears, as a minimum, to be more remote and less likely to spend than ever.

So unless we really appear to be falling through the floor I would prefer we leave him alone !

One of the most sensible posts on VT in a while.

I'm still giving him a chance. I wiped the slate clean when he joined.

I think he says all the right things, the players seem to respect hima nd the defence has sorted itself out to a certain degree.

But the football on the pitch leaves me pessimistic.

If he's our manager at Christmas 2012 I'd be shocked.

Â