Houllier or Mcleish

Delphinho123

Houllier or McLeish?  

330 members have voted

1. 1. Houllier or McLeish?

• McLeish
    • Houllier

After the January transfer window I thought our football was getting much better, as were the results. Our attacking play was good (bar a couple of games like Wolves at home & Fulham), our defense was playing better. Fair enough Dunne and Collins wern't happy, they obviously wern't used to his and GMacs tactics (I made it clear to everyone publically), they might not have been in Houlliers long term plans. I liked the fact that Houllier seemed willing to look over Europe for players instead of just the Prem. I remember it being said they were trying to improve the scouting system in the foreign leagues, I wonder if we are still willing to take risks on foreign players under Eck.

• Replies 749
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After the January transfer window I thought our football was getting much better, as were the results.
We won a couple of league games in Jan and a couple of FA Cup games. Thereafter we embarked on a fairly disastrous run of LDDWLLL, which saw us surrender our FA Cup campaign and fall to within one point of the relegation zone.

Thankfully, after that the squad seemed to snap out of it, the tactics seemed to revert more to an MON-style approach suited to the players, and we ended with a sequence of DWWDLDWW which elevated us to the giddy heights of ninth.

So not an out and out tale of improvement.

He was the worst manager we've had for a while and his claims of a personal role in improving Young and Downing are self-aggrandising fantasy.

Totally deluded!! I think his heart problems must have cut off the oxygen supply to his brain? Young and Downing were both class players before he got anywhere near them and infact Young looked a far better player under MON than he ever did under Houllier.

Whether he was our worst manager or not is a matter of opinions. Fact is that he's one of the most successfull managers we've signed. And even though all of his success came before he arrived it suggests that he's got some clue about the game.

What next Jozeph Venglos was just misunderstood, Graham Turner would have turned it around and Billy McNiell's got an undeserved bad reputation.

That is the esteemed company Houllier is in, he's in the top 4 worst managers Villa have had since the seventies. Defending himself is futile and his latest comments are just further proof of his idiocy.

How the hell did Ashley Young improve last season, it was his worst season for us imo (Not saying he was bad but there was certainly no improvement), the only player that seemingly improved last season was Downing and he was at a low starting point, so much so, he needed to grow a pair but given his low starting point and his problems the previous season he was always going to improve.

Jozeph Venglos was just misunderstood

IIRC McGrath suggests that in his book. Something like "he was before his time here in Villa and England". I can't ever compare Billy McNeill and Graham Turner with GH.

i think houllier was pretty shit but its not all his fault remember when he came what a mess we was in. lost at home to vienna and humilated by newcastle

i think dols final season was far worse than last year. people are just being abit dramatic

McLeish by a very very long way for me.

People say that McLeish plays long ball and negative tactics, how exactly? I cant think of 1 goal that we have scored that has come from a long ball this season? We are creating plenty of chances, it just so happens that Darren Bent is playing poor and out of form at the minute, he could of had 2 on Saturday if he was playing well. The players are happy and want to play for him. We are not leaking goals galore like we did under Houllier.

as a manager in general he was pretty good.

What planet are you on?

Villa aside (and I mentioned that) his managerial record was very good - far better than McLeish's. Even as a Villa manager I don't think he was a disaster.

To be far to McLeish I think his trophy cabinet is as full as Gerrards apart from the UEFA cup?? Both were very successful in shitty leagues!

He isn't in this top 4 by win percentage, that's for sure.

Not to mention that people like Turner won 22% as opposed to Gerard's 39.

He was in charge for 28 league games and we won 8 giving him a 28% win percentage. If you want to include the final 5 games that Gary Mac took charge of then we won 10 in 33 giving us a 30% win percentage.

In terms of where he took the club from - consistent top 6 finishes and one that just a few short months before he arrived was still in the mix for a top 4 finish with a couple of games to go - to one that last season was intrenched in a relegation battle for the best part of 6 months and still in with a shout of being relegated with a couple of games to go. Then throw in throwing a FA Cup game and his disgusting lack of respect for our great fans then he was easily in amongst the worst managers we have had in the last 40 years.

What planet are you on?

Villa aside (and I mentioned that) his managerial record was very good - far better than McLeish's. Even as a Villa manager I don't think he was a disaster.

To be far to McLeish I think his trophy cabinet is as full as Gerrards apart from the UEFA cup?? Both were very successful in shitty leagues!

Since when are Ligue 1 and the Premier League shitty leagues?

What planet are you on?

Since when are Ligue 1 and the Premier League shitty leagues?

I was thinking the SPL and Ligue 1 are rubbish leagues IMO! The French league is poor and GH went to Lyon when they had won 4 championships in a row and took them to a further 2 and was asked to leave because their CL form had dropped significantly since he had taken charge!

Â