Chris Herd

ChrisNichollsToe

Herd is like Delph, always one bad tackle away from a red, not talented enough to be in the team IMO, would rather Clark in DM than him.

I think that is a little harsh. There are a lot of players that fall into that category but they are useful and necessary part of the team. I haven't seen enough of him really to know but he hasn't done too badly when I he has played.

Herd is a decent defensive midfielder. He can battle away well, make good tackles, interceptions and is our one player you can feel can win headers in the midfield. I don't rate him as a centre back or a full back though. For me it's Delph or Herd.. Delph brings more energy, Herd brings more composure, but I agree that both are risky in terms of cards. One of those 2 alongside someone with more passing ability, preferably more experienced but we don't have much of that at the moment..

I'd like to see Herd alongside Bannan against Swindon. Bannan's range of passing and Herd's tenacity is a combination worth trying out I reckon. Delph and KEA haven't shown enough to warrant sticking with as a combination.

Unless Ireland is fit.. in which case, Herd and Ireland should start.

Hopefully Clark fit to partner Vlaar, with Herd, Ireland and Bannan in midfield three for Saturday. Herd will do more for our midfield than either Delph or KEA in our current position IMHO, he's better at stopping the opposition playing than the other two.

Not sure where to put this, thought this would be a good spot.

Aston Villa's claret and blue has become tinged with a hue of green and gold, with rising rookies Jordan Lyden and Tom Strain joining headliners Brett Holman and Chris Herd at the English Premier League club.

Lyden, a 16-year-old who can play across the back four and in midfield, and Strain, also 16, a striker who became a naturalised Australian after emigrating from England to Adelaide nearly five years ago, are both part of Villa's Under-19 academy side which competes in the NextGen series.

And both are thriving as they seek to follow Herd, who played for the same ECU Joondalup club as Lyden in Perth, into the senior ranks at a club whose youth academy is gaining renown.

Villa thinks so highly of Lyden that it has signed him to a three-year contract, two years on a scholarship program and one as a full professional, as he seeks to turn his dreams of playing in the Premier League into a reality.

Lyden, who played as a right back in a draw with Celtic last week in the NextGen series, is determined to eventually follow Herd and Holman top the top.

"I know Chris from Western Australia and he's been a massive help to me," he said of the player spawned from the same talent incubator which hatched Herd, Middlesbrough's Rhys Williams and Millwall's Shane Lowry, among many others.

"I know his dad (Willie) as well from the days at Joondalup and Chris been advising me all along the way and it’s great to see him back in the first team now.

"Vila's academy is second to none really and this is to the club to be for a kid trying to make it in the game. Tom feels the same and is doing really well, so we both have high hopes."

With his versatility, Lyden sees comparisons between himself and 23-year-old Herd, currently playing at centre back for Villa but utilised in the past as a right back and a holding midfielder.

"You could say we are similar types of players and he is really a great role model for me and a great athlete," he said of Herd.

"I haven't really got to know Brett (Holman) yet but I am sure I will. The fans have taken to him and the boss (Paul Lambert) is also very complimentary about what he has brought to the club."

Lyden's aspirations are simple.

"I love the game and just want to keep developing and play for Villa at the top level. It's a great club and I am learning so much by being here."

He may also be about to launch his national team career, after recent discussions with Australia's Under-17 coach Alistair Edwards.

"We've spoken a couple of times and he seems quite interested, so I'll have to wait and see," he said.

Lyden's father Kevin, currently in Australia to oversee his son's progress, is English.

But Jordan has no conflict of interest, as he was born and raised in Australia.

"Australia is my country and I'd love to play for them one day," he explained.

Link

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm afraid I don't rate this lad.

While he is not going to set the league afire, I think Herd is an excellent player to have in the squad, especially with his versatility. I am not sure if your comment is in part due to his role in the match this past Saturday; however, if it was, I would not judge him too much on that. I think some people thought he was playing CDM, and if that was the case, you could make an argument that it wasn't his best match. Though he was definitely deployed more as a third CB with Clark/Baker, and he did just fine in that role for me. Almost was able to get in and defend the ball from which Mackie scored, where Clark poorly marked Mackie, but was just a bit too much space to cover.

No, my opinion is not based on the last game, but every game I've seen of him, I just don't rate him.

But I like your point about the goal, watching it again you're quite right, it's not Herd it's Clark, he **** up yet AGAIN. How many points does he cost us?

No, my opinion is not based on the last game, but every game I've seen of him, I just don't rate him.

But I like your point about the goal, watching it again you're quite right, it's not Herd it's Clark, he **** up yet AGAIN. How many points does he cost us?

Lots - new CB incoming me thinks.

Herd is a reasonable defensive CM - in the context of the current squad. Hopefully PL will improve the squad - so like Clark, Lichaj, *Baker, Bannan, they will have to improve to stay in contention for 1st team places.

*Bakers has done pretty well - but needs to develop into a reliable CB - both he and clark get to many injuries for young guys

Â