Football Manager 2012

AndyClarke

• Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Picture the scene, Great Britain U23s in the Olympics Semi Final, pitched against Uruguay who they hammered in the group stages 4-0 but could have been 10...................The Uruguay goalkeeper has a stormer, makes flying saves and is helped by Wayne Rooney who suddenly can't score goals, going into the 90th minute Uruguay are somehow 2-1 up, having had a handful of efforts on goal to Great Britains barrell full............Up pops Jack Rodwell to equalise with a fine header from a corner. The fans go wild, dancing in the stands of Old Trafford, they dance again 5 minutes into extra time when Ashley Young puts England into a 3-2 lead. A fine story I'm sure you'll agree, followed by the most farcical thing I've seen in FM since I managed England in the World Cup finals which was ruined by opposition teams not picking a goalkeeper in the squad.

So, at 3-2 and 104 minutes of on the clock, Phil Jones decides to stop running, so does Chris Smalling, Cavani runs in on goal only for Jones to hack him down on the edge of the box. Jones walks, Ramsay argues and follows him. The freekick comes to nothing, Great Britain lead 3-2 and are now setup to be ultra defensive, I'm certain we can hold on with plenty of time wasting. Not so, the ref blows the whistle for the start of the second half of extra time, imagine my surprise when after 2 touches a keen eyed Uruguayan fired a shot from his own half which bounces twice into an empty net........Assuming that he has somehow hit a perfect Beckham esque shot over Jason Steele's head, I feel priveliged to have seen such a goal, not until I see the replay do I see that Steele started near the halfway line, the referee not having given him enough time to make it to his goal before blowing his whistle for the kick off!!!

The game is gone, Great Britain tiredly see out the end of the game and head to the inevitable shootout defeat having battered Uruguay for over 100 minutes of football, only to be cheated by the referee. I resign before playing the third and fourth playoff in utter disgust!

^FM has no shame in the lengths it will go to make some games unwinnable. In such situations I employ my own little trick to make games unlose-able, called 'Load game'. I find that usually the CPU plays fair on the 2nd or at least the 3rd attempt.

It wasn't as bad as having my goalie stand around on the halfway line, but I had a similarly cheaty game against Man Utd in the CL semis. After scoring once early on, I had missed countless sitters, given away a random uncharacteristic penalty, one of my pansiest playmakers somehow got a red for persistent fouling despite tackling set to 'light', and I lost another 2 players to injury almost immediately after my final sub in the 65th. Despite all of that, I still held an aggregate lead until the 94th minute. That was when Akinfeev fumbled an easy catch - the first time I'd ever seen him do that - to give Utd an easy goal and an away goals victory. Travesties like that don't go down as canon in my game.

Trouble is, until the final whistle is blown you never know if the computer is going to cheat you or cheat itself. In the CL final vs Schalke, I couldn't score from a hatful of chances, but they of course scored from a 35 yard free kick from a tight angle. After that I battered them for the entire game but still couldn't equalise. Then in the 90th minute, after what must be my 20th corner, the ref blows for a penalty - which my 16pen/17fin/15comp striker tamely passed into their prone keeper's body. Sighing, I prepared to consign this match to the 'ludicrous' category, when in the 94th minute, from a long throw, the ref blows for another pen for me :lol: Same defender to blame, this time fouling my keeper who'd come up to support. Sanity reasserted itself, the penalty was buried, and then I scored two easy goals in extra time. Exciting, for sure, but you have to wonder where, in what hidden setting, the game is calculating this bizarre behaviour to bias matches one way or the other at different stages.

I need a wonderkid for the right back spot to bolster my squad preferably cheap

Signed Lucas Digne for the LB slot as backup for Warnock i was looking at Serge Aurier and Dennis Appiah but to expensive ive looked at Nery but he doesnt look good according to my scouts and will only play at a level similar to Hutton at best...

Ive signed Emre Can who is being mentored by Petrov and i wanted to sign Kuzmanovic but Malaga blew me out the water with a rediculous bid.

What role do you guys play petrov in i use him in the DMC position with Deep Lying Playmaker role set to support but my coaches should say he's an anchor man set to defend

Same with Delph i play him as a bog standard centre mid but coaches say he should be an advanced playmaker set to attack

The only advice that sounds realistic is them telling me to set Collins to being a stopper as a limited defender and Dunne to a Central defender with Stopper as well what does that mean exactly that they just stop the ball and hoof it?

dont know how correct the coaches are should i take their advice?

Ive been dominating preseason winning 3 - 4 nil every time so dont want to disrupt it too much

What role do you guys play petrov in i use him in the DMC position with Deep Lying Playmaker role set to support but my coaches should say he's an anchor man set to defend

Same with Delph i play him as a bog standard centre mid but coaches say he should be an advanced playmaker set to attack

The only advice that sounds realistic is them telling me to set Collins to being a stopper as a limited defender and Dunne to a Central defender with Stopper as well what does that mean exactly that they just stop the ball and hoof it?

dont know how correct the coaches are should i take their advice?

Ive been dominating preseason winning 3 - 4 nil every time so dont want to disrupt it too much

Stopper means they play a bit higher up and close people down early. Cover means they're a bit more cautious, stay deeper and rely on anticipation to sweep things up. In real life Collins is more of a stopper while Dunne is more of a coverer.

In general, don't fix what aint broke. The coaches don't necessarily know any better than you. They probably see Delph's pace and think he should be set to 'run with ball often', with an attacking mentality, which is one thing an 'AP: Attack' does, but I'm not sure Delph's creativity and decisions are hot enough for that.

When it comes down to it you can usually accommodate the coaches' suggestions by changing one or two of the sliders under advanced settings. So if Delph is working well for you but the coaches think he should be an 'AP: Attack' then look to see what the default sliders for 'AP: Attack' are like, and maybe adopt the ones that make sense. So you could maybe make his mentality more attacking, and make him run with the ball more, but the higher creativity and making him cross and try killer balls all the time might not make sense.

Is there anyway i can sack Peter grant

His stats are abysmal and he's on a 4 - 5 year deal... cant sack him will have to pay 2.5 mill compo

Need a decent assistant manager got Michael Henke or Tony Coton lined up but this tool is standing in my way

I lost another 2 players to injury almost immediately after my final sub in the 65th.

I put all the frustrating things about FM down to coincidence.

But not this. This is the one thing that I'm certain is written into the programming somehow.

Always, and I mean 99% of the time, if I make all my subs before the 70th minute (ish) I'll almost immediately pick up an injury leaving me with 10 men.

As i said, everything else is just coincidence or a bug or whatever. but this has happened for years, and i'm sure it must be deliberate.

I lost another 2 players to injury almost immediately after my final sub in the 65th.

I put all the frustrating things about FM down to coincidence.

But not this. This is the one thing that I'm certain is written into the programming somehow.

Always, and I mean 99% of the time, if I make all my subs before the 70th minute (ish) I'll almost immediately pick up an injury leaving me with 10 men.

As i said, everything else is just coincidence or a bug or whatever. but this has happened for years, and i'm sure it must be deliberate.

I also think the same, to the point that I now never ever make three subs and if I do the last one is 90+ minutes and even then I have had an injury within seconds of restarting!!!

Won the CL and league cup in 2015 bought hamburgs Korean striker for next season despite cavani breaking every scoring record going, RVP is declining slightly despite finally having a good season (1st 3 he got about 15 goals in total this year he was over 30) means my strikeforce is min, cavani, wlcott, ayew, RVP and sanogo

getting some amazing regens, chaverinho rb/lb only 5 star potential player i've found in te whole game, 19 and already better than sagna

To me it's because any player who is more than half decent costs over £20m, scouting and buying has become probably more realistic but at the same time pretty boring

add to that there is almost certainly an increase in the randomness in games and the team talk changes are pretty shit IMO really random it's either shout at them or do it for the fans

Â