Gary Gardner

ChrisNichollsToe

He came on after 70 odd minutes of a game played in 90% humiditiy and 40 odd degree heat. Of course he looked better than those around him.

I swear some on here lurch from one extreme to another. If he is poor against Derby everyone will be telling us how shit he is!!

I do agree on the contract side though, if he is highly rated by the club, we should be securing him on a long term deal.

It's not the weather that is what matters. It is the fact that he got the ball, passed the ball and moved with the ball.

For someone of his age he shows real promise.

I watched Craig Gardner come through the ranks and loved his attitude, ability, tackling and powerful shot. Even back then, watching Craig in the reserves it was apparent that his problem was always going to be his total lack of pace.

Gary Gardner is an example of God getting the design right at the second attempt. Gary has Craig's best attributes to which has been added more pace, more height, two very good feet and a real football brain. He's a touch more laid back than Craig but he is still aggressive enough.

If Craig had been bigger, quicker and more technical he would have been worth multi millions. If Gary can stay fit over the next couple of seasons he will become one of the best midfielders in the Premiership imo.

He came on after 70 odd minutes of a game played in 90% humiditiy and 40 odd degree heat. Of course he looked better than those around him.

I swear some on here lurch from one extreme to another. If he is poor against Derby everyone will be telling us how shit he is!!

I do agree on the contract side though, if he is highly rated by the club, we should be securing him on a long term deal.

It's not the weather that is what matters. It is the fact that he got the ball, passed the ball and moved with the ball.

While I agree its important to note that by that stage in the game Chelsea had changed to a 4-4-2 to experiment with Drogba and Torres up front so he had more space to work with in the midfield, also Lampard and Mikel were tired so weren't pressing much. If Delph had been the one coming off the bench i'm sure he would have been far more impressive.

Anyway it was nice to finally see the kid play, hope we get to see more of him in the next friendlies.

I watched Craig Gardner come through the ranks and loved his attitude, ability, tackling and powerful shot. Even back then, watching Craig in the reserves it was apparent that his problem was always going to be his total lack of pace.

Gary Gardner is an example of God getting the design right at the second attempt. Gary has Craig's best attributes to which has been added more pace, more height, two very good feet and a real football brain. He's a touch more laid back than Craig but he is still aggressive enough.

If Craig had been bigger, quicker and more technical he would have been worth multi millions. If Gary can stay fit over the next couple of seasons he will become one of the best midfielders in the Premiership imo.

Same with me, watched both thru the ranks, reminds me of a fast G Barry at the same age.

I wonder if the reason we haven't seen that much of him thus far (compared to the likes of Albrighton or Bannan) is because we have been trying to keep him 'out of sight' of the likes of City (or Madrid / Inter if those links are true) until he is accomplished enough for us to use him effectively in the Prem?

for me, the best youth players go straight in, rooney, wilshire, rodwell etc. none of this waiting around till they're 24 before they finally show a little more than 'promise'. obviously the latter two are still incomplete, but they're good enough to start regular PL matches under the age of 20. if gary gardner is as good as it is suggested, and from the very limited view i've had of him he very well might be, he should be starting games for us in the middle of the park against top flight opposition. the absolute very best way to get the most out of him.

Hello

I wonder if the reason we haven't seen that much of him thus far (compared to the likes of Albrighton or Bannan) is because we have been trying to keep him 'out of sight' of the likes of City (or Madrid / Inter if those links are true) until he is accomplished enough for us to use him effectively in the Prem?

No .. I don't think so ..

He's younger than them by about 2-3 years .. ^^

Great post! I live Craigs attitude and bite, really good player! I wish we had signed him back instead of him going to Sunderland!

I got Gardner 38 on my new away top a few weeks ago! Can't wait to see him play in the first team!

Out of interest for those that have seen Gardner play how does he compare to Barry at the same age...?
Barry was physically mature at the age of 19 and so is Gardner. Barry read the game well at this age as does Gary.

Gardner is two footed which Barry definitely was not and Gardner is quicker and has a much better shot. Barry went on to maximise his distinctly left sided talent by sheer level headed determination, and Villa were a better team with GB pulling the strings.

If Gary gets the same regular first team games that helped develop Barry, Gary Gardner could be (and I'm going to get ridiculed for this :lol: ) the next Steven Gerrard!

Is GG S Left foot really as good as he right....?

Or is he a petrov kind of two footed player...?

Whenever I've watched him he's looked genuinely comfortable using both feet and shoots with both, unlike GB and a certain one legged wonder who has just hopped off to L'pool. Thinking back his brother Craig could shoot powerfully with both feet as well.

I thought Bannan looked the best bet in the Hong Kong games
I agree, he's looked really comfortable on the ball. He has a great first touch and good vision, if players around him make themselves available we'd benefit from BB's play making.

It is not the weather that matters?? He came onto a pitch where the majority of players had run themselves ragged in 90% humidity. Have you ever experienced that? Its like sticking your head in a lit oven!!

Of course it makes a difference!

Â