Gary Gardner

ChrisNichollsToe

I thought Bannan looked the best bet in the Hong Kong games

Thought he was one of our worst players in the first game, did well in the second game though. Showed he's a central player, can't play wide at all. If Bannan plays, he has to be involved all the time.

I thought he was one of our best players in the first game apart from two or three loose balls, funny how opinions differ.

It must have been so hot that Petrov couldn't move from the centre circle :lol:

Excuses, excuses...

No mate, thats Petrov even playing an away tie in January at Scunnie!! :-)

I hope he is great, but it is natural that subs can make an impression on a game if they have fresh legs, particularly if its that hot. Not sure what the excuses are for??

I would like to see Delph, Bannan and Gardner midfield, it young and I think a high energy midfield. With Makoun, Petrov and Ireland providing cover or adding experience depending on the opposition.

No mate, thats Petrov even playing an away tie in January at Scunnie!! :-)

I hope he is great, but it is natural that subs can make an impression on a game if they have fresh legs, particularly if its that hot. Not sure what the excuses are for??

I would argue that if Petrov came on he would still be doing what he always does. Sits in the centre circle and passes sideways or backwards.

It was refreshing to me to see young players coming on, passing and moving with the ball in a forward direction. This is something Petrov rarely does regardless of whether playing in Hong Kong or Scunthorpe :winkold:

I would like to see Delph, Bannan and Gardner midfield, it young and I think a high energy midfield. With Makoun, Petrov and Ireland providing cover or adding experience depending on the opposition.

Not going happen and rightly so.

None of them have played many games in the premier league and in Gardner's case he hasn't even made his full Villa debut yet!

I've got no doubt that Gardner has lots of potential but I think once again it's a case of some Villa fans building young players up too much and then when they finally do play they disappoint because they're supposed to some sort of wonderkid.

Hopefully he'll get a few chances to show his worth this season and if he performs well, then next season he'll be able to stake a claim for a regular place in the starting lineup.

I would like to see Delph, Bannan and Gardner midfield, it young and I think a high energy midfield. With Makoun, Petrov and Ireland providing cover or adding experience depending on the opposition

And wwe would get relegated. Going for a completely untried midfield with no Premier League experience really would be suicide IMO!!

Hopefully he'll get a few chances to show his worth this season and if he performs well, then next season he'll be able to stake a claim for a regular place in the starting lineup.

This is realistic! Though we still need better players in CM our senior players are either too old, too lightweight or bonkers!!

First Carling Cup match should be the aim for him to get some sort of appearance under his belt. Calls for him to start the season in the first XI on the first day of the season are madness in my view. Lets not heap a whole summer's worth of discontent on his young shoulders. Let's nurture him and give him the time and opportunities he needs to succeed at his own pace, not because we believe, dare I say it, There Is No Alternative.

You can wrap the kids up in cotton wool & it doesn't necessarily do them any favours (see Fonz).

Some kids are good enough to be thrown in at the deep end. I believe Gary Gardner fits into this category

You can wrap the kids up in cotton wool & it doesn't necessarily do them any favours (see Fonz).

Some kids are good enough to be thrown in at the deep end. I believe Gary Gardner fits into this category

I think it could be argued in the Fonz's case he just is not better than other options we had available.

I can see the point of view if they are good enough, they are old enough however this generally works best in a sucessful side as they are coming into a winning environment rather than a pressure cooker. Personally I would wait for the cup games to come along and maybe the of sub appearance if we are leading as see how it goes from there.

Ponky, 99 times out of 100 I would agree but I believe this lad could handle it and he looks good enough.

Sometimes you have to try things, if it didn't pan out I'm sure that the fans would forgive him and F'eck would pull him off but I honestly think we have a gem of a player who would thrive.

I doubt though if F'eck will put him straight in anyway but seeing him play has given me a lift and I can't wait to see more.

Ponky, 99 times out of 100 I would agree but I believe this lad could handle it and he looks good enough.

Sometimes you have to try things, if it didn't pan out I'm sure that the fans would forgive him and Eck would pull him off but I honestly think we have a gem of a player who would thrive.

I doubt though if Eck will put him straight in anyway but seeing him play has given me a lift and I can't wait to see more.

I am normally an advocate of the introduce them in gradually but there are exceptions - Rooney and Wilshere spring to mind.

As for there being less pressure if you are coming into a successful side I am really not sure about this as you have a much greater weight of expectation on your shoulders to maintain that success. However, I do feel it is really important that you have the right mix of experience around you to help you through difficult periods.

This lad does look to have something about him but there is a world of difference between playing youth/reserve team football ( both for us and Internationally ) and playing in the Premier League. The management/coaching staff will know better than any of us if he is ready to make the step up but I suspect that it will be a while yet before we see him starting a competitive first team game, certainly in the league, and he may at the present time struggle to even make the bench. If that is the case it wouldn't do any harm to send him out on loan to a Championship side where he can get some senior games under his belt.

Â