Gary Gardner

ChrisNichollsToe

38 minutes ago, TRO said:

I feel humbled reading that, because I think some of us old uns don't realise what we had.

I have sat and watched us reach the heights, 5-1 wins against the mighty Liverpool, the turning teams over with Little,Gray & Deehan.

I just want them to rise like a Phoenix again for our younger supporters like you,who can revel in those fantastic days like we did.

I want you guys to marvel in the play like we did.

we have a lost generation to class.....I want you guys to have a chance to see it.

I think as difficult as it can be, with Tony Xia we have got a chance.

ps apologies to all for going off Topic.

Thanks TRO, I had the MON years and they will stay with me for life, I live in hope but not expectation that we will surpass what MON achieved here, thanks again TRO

9 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

If that's aimed at me, I never saw Platt in a Villa shirt, he left Villa the year before I was born, if it wasn't aimed at me, fine

That absolutely wasn't aimed at you mate! I know you never saw Platt in a villa shirt. Which is a shame because he was bloody mint! 

51 minutes ago, TRO said:

I feel humbled reading that, because I think some of us old uns don't realise what we had.

I have sat and watched us reach the heights, 5-1 wins against the mighty Liverpool, the turning teams over with Little,Gray & Deehan.

I just want them to rise like a Phoenix again for our younger supporters like you,who can revel in those fantastic days like we did.

I want you guys to marvel in the play like we did.

we have a lost generation to class.....I want you guys to have a chance to see it.

I think as difficult as it can be, with Tony Xia we have got a chance.

ps apologies to all for going off Topic.

Thanks again TRO, your posts are always insightful and eloquent, thank you, please keep them coming!

Can someone compare Platt to another player in the modern game? I've had a think and I think I saw him in 1998 for Arsenal at Villa Park, I think we won 3-2, just done some research and yes I did, I was 7 years old. I've just seen a 17 minute YouTube of that game, we were battered in the first half by a great Arsenal side but in the second half, we showed grit, determination and no shortage of quality, what a game!

Edited by sir_gary_cahill

2 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Can someone compare Platt to another player in the modern game? I've had a think and I think I saw him in 1998 for Arsenal at Villa Park, I think we won 3-2

Its hard to say.....but may be Lampard.

Colin Bell  Man City was another, but that's going back the wrong way.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Can someone compare Platt to another player in the modern game? I've had a think and I think I saw him in 1998 for Arsenal at Villa Park, I think we won 3-2, just done some research and yes I did, I was 7 years old. I've just seen a 17 minute YouTube of that game, we were battered in the first half by a great Arsenal side but in the second half, we showed grit, determination and no shortage of quality, what a game!

Platt was never the same player for Arsenal as he was for us. At Villa he was the star of the show and we played to his strengths. We effectively built the team around him. The same can't be said for his time in London given the world class players they had at their disposal. We didn't have a Bergkamp or a Wright. Although we did have a McGrath...;)

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

Platt was never the same player for Arsenal as he was for us. At Villa he was the star of the show and we played to his strengths. We effectively built the team around him. The same can't be said for his time in London given the world class players they had at their disposal. We didn't have a Bergkamp or a Wright. Although we did have a McGrath...;)

Thanks very much :)

2 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Never, it's always genuine from me, I think you know it too mate, I play Chinese whispers from time to time but I just post what I have been told by whoever. I can now live happily and attend the u16 & u18 matches and provide my own thoughts and opinions on here

I've no idea what your talking about.

I first "Went down the Villa" in 69/70 when we got relegated I was 7/8yo so it didnt start well for me.

But I was there to witness our rise through the leagues, LC finals and our crowning glory of being English Champions and Champions of Europe.

I also had the pleasure of enjoying Ron Atkinsons Villa & Brian Littles Villa.

John Gregory's Villa was a little pragmatic but we had some top players at the time.

The MoN years were nowhere near as enjoyable as the BL, Big Ron & God Ron teams. We had everything that Villa stood for (imho) Class, Style and some true grit.

There is/was nothing like watching a Villa team & Football club grow like it did from 1970-1984.

So I feel for the younger fans who are exposed to our status of such shite as AW AH GA and some of the biggest disappointments in JL N'Zog and many others.

I witnessed a Golden era to be proud of and all I can say is that it truly hurts to see us in the Ch, losing to Bradford in a cup semi, hammered by Soton Chelsea and 'pool at home. players and managers alike with no Balls, Skill or respect for the standards set by the Honourable servants to the Villa cause of years gone by.

Call me old school or whatever. But AVFC is not just any old football club. We are one of the Elite because we've been there and done it. Its part of the fabric of Football and our city. A packed VP in full voice behind an exciting team is something to send chills down the spine, something not every club can claim to have.

Back to PL Asap

and let the dreams begin again

not a club built on sand for tears to wash the foundations away

we have to buy/produce the best, to compete with the best.

Its about money and marketing now. So lets show the rest how use the money and marketing.

its a new world of Football

Let our Football flourish in the new world.

If anyone deserves a chance to dream it is us.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

So I feel for the younger fans who are exposed to our status of such shite as AW AH GA and some of the biggest disappointments in JL N'Zog and many others.

I'm struggling to work all these abbreviations out.

Â