Gary Gardner

ChrisNichollsToe

I don't believe he deserved a four year contract but I would have certainly given him a two year one. He has come into a team that had won 1 in 11, and helped turn it into one of the performing teams in the division.

I see him as another Steven Davis, Craig Gardner, Liam Ridgewell, etc... who got slammed for a poor performance but go on to better things with other clubs. I feel he will do well given time.

Jedinak was getting slammed early on and he is a seasoned professional but he is turning out okay. Let's not forget Baker who most didn't want to see ever again in a Villa shirt, he's not doing too bad either. It will take a little bit of confidence, or the right players to play with, and something will click it into place.

1 minute ago, villianusa said:

I don't believe he deserved a four year contract but I would have certainly given him a two year one. He has come into a team that had won 1 in 11, and helped turn it into one of the performing teams in the division.

I see him as another Steven Davis, Craig Gardner, Liam Ridgewell, etc... who got slammed for a poor performance but go on to better things with other clubs. I feel he will do well given time.

Jedinak was getting slammed early on and he is a seasoned professional but he is turning out okay. Let's not forget Baker who most didn't want to see ever again in a Villa shirt, he's not doing too bad either. It will take a little bit of confidence, or the right players to play with, and something will click it into place.

We were at a different level and had higher expectations, when those players were discarded.

you cannot expect to win anything with high levels of inconsistency.

when it's clear to see poor performance it cannot be accepted indefinitely.

I am in full support of SB but I am at a loss to know why has granted a 4 year contact, I'm sure he has his reasons......we must wait and see.

I really dont understand.

4yr contract?

Maybe, just maybe he's been used in a position that is not gonna shed him a good light. But apart from a good shot (has he ever scored a worldy for us?) and his "youthfull energy" I really havent seen him offer enough to put my faith in him.

I'd keep him on the forsight that with 2 ace cm's in the team he as the 3rd one could see him blossom.

But 4yrs that depend on "who we bring in alongside him" doesnt seem neccessary when 2yrs would bide us time on an "IF" player

4 year contract?

I'd been less surprised had we released him on a free.

Well at least he'll count towards the home grown player quota when we play in the Champions League the season after next :D.

17 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Oh dear, why is it always the academy graduates that receive the most criticism from the majority of fans on this forum? He scored a quite brilliant header a few weeks ago against Birmingham City. He has had so many serious injuries, just give him a bit of time, he's one of us. He went to Cockshut Hill school in Yardley like his brother just give him time. The club obviously believe in him like I do, if they didn't, they wouldn't have given him a new 4 year contract!

Why should we go easy on academy graduates? I love to see local lads do well but if they don't cut the mustard then they need to be moved on. We're not a charity.

I've yet to see anything from Gardner that suggests he can make it as a Championship player, let alone go any highter

FWIW I don't think academy players receive most criticism. Consider the criticism Westwood and Bacuna get. 

I agree @Xela infact i think the opposite is true, and Gardner has had an easy ride precisely because he is homegrown. 

If for instance we'd signed the kid from Derby for £2.5m he'd be getting absolutely slaughtered.  

53 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Why do we keep giving new contracts to players we know aren't good enough? Baffling. 

Because we're not that manager and for the best part they know better than us. That's why we are on forum writing about what we would do while they are doing it.

• Like 1

On 29/12/2016 at 19:14, villianusa said:

Because we're not that manager and for the best part they know better than us. That's why we are on forum writing about what we would do while they are doing it.

Now being serious for a minute

A 4yr Contract?

IF we go up this year he'll have 3yrs in PL when the good Doctor has outlined his ambitions for us.

Really?

he would have to perform to the level of a club 10-14th next season 8-12the the following season then competing with 6th 7th & 8th in his last contracted season

Name me a player from one of the teams in those PL positions I've mentioned above who he is on a Par with?

Â