Confirmed Signing: Shay Given (Man City)

Mr_Dogg

Getting tweets of NUFC fans that Villa are now officially their second team this season - after I pointed out we also have

Monday, Tuesday Habib Beye on our books... looks like we're re-uniting half their old squad!

Quality!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arsenal fans on twitter are furious we've got Given.
So are some Villa fans !

Why do you not want him? Would you have liked us to go for Casillas or a Gigi Buffon.

think some fans just want to moan about anything they can

No I am fairly realistic about which players would come to us actually, not sure how you could on the one hand be called negative and pessimistic and then on the other get accused of wanting Casillas / Buffon

For Given I think he is too old and injury prone and I think his wages will be far too much in terms of restricting other potential signings.

I would have much prefered Foster and thenhave him here for a number of years with a resale value at the end should we not have progressed.

I think he would have been a realistic and more ambitious signing but there you go.

You love going against the flow don't you Richard?

No doubt you will be on here gloating as soon as Given picks up an injury ....theres nothing wrong with preferring Foster however to call Given a 'rubbish' signing is ludicrous although hardly surprising with your penchant for coming out with such 'shock' statements

I simply do not understand the disgust with which the term "sell to buy" is treated around here. I hate the old cliche about sports being a business (it's not - too many people are too emotionally invested for it to be considered just a business), but really: in what world do people think an average football owner can pump hundreds of millions of pounds into the club without even considering balancing the books? In England, we're talking about Abramovich and Sheikh Mansour are probably the only two. Liverpool and Man U similarly have great spending power, but that also has a lot to do with their huge brand that leads to huge revenues. We are still in the midst of a global recession; have we learned nothing from it? Portsmouth almost went out of existence; Crystal Palace, ditto. It is not a horrifying thing that we have owners who are doing their best to make us a relatively self-sustaining club that can run healthily for years and years to come, and it's frankly ridiculous to expect the owners to buy and buy and buy without any consideration of balancing the books.

Fantastic. Well said.

+2

Totally agree - this statement should go on the VT home page ...that way some fans might start to understand the situation!

In fact I'm going to put it in my sig

No doubt you will be on here gloating as soon as Given picks up an injury ....theres nothing wrong with preferring Foster however to call Given a 'rubbish' signing is ludicrous although hardly surprising with your penchant for coming out with such 'shock' statements

Just a point. Richard didn't say rubbish, so I don't know why you wrapped it in quotes. And while I'm in the pro-Given camp, I've seen plenty of others that aren't. The only thing I would say to Richard's point of preferring Foster is that if we do have a limited budget then the likely £12m fee for Foster would have affected us far more than the £60k p/w wages that Given will cost. So while Foster might have appeared a more ambitious move, I believe Given is the better goalkeeper and furthermore, he allows us to strengthen other parts of the squad more effectively, so for me it's a win-win. But I appreciate not everyone sees it like that.

Getting tweets of NUFC fans that Villa are now officially their second team this season - after I pointed out we also have

Monday, Tuesday Habib Beye on our books... looks like we're re-uniting half their old squad!

Quality!

A fair few of our supporters have done a stellar job replicating the delusional rantings of their fanbase on these messageboards this summer too.

A fair few of our supporters have done a stellar job replicating the delusional rantings of their fanbase on these messageboards this summer too.

True true. Reluctant kindred spirits me thinx.

Just a point. Richard didn't say rubbish, so I don't know why you wrapped it in quotes. And while I'm in the pro-Given camp, I've seen plenty of others that aren't. The only thing I would say to Richard's point of preferring Foster is that if we do have a limited budget then the likely £12m fee for Foster would have affected us far more than the £60k p/w wages that Given will cost. So while Foster might have appeared a more ambitious move, I believe Given is the better goalkeeper and furthermore, he allows us to strengthen other parts of the squad more effectively, so for me it's a win-win. But I appreciate not everyone sees it like that.
Goes against the accepted wisdom of Krulak etc that the issue is not in transfer fees but in wages Brian

Wasn't Enckelman good until his fluff in that derby?

Not really. He always made me nervous. That was just a "see, told ya!" moment - even if technically it should've been a corner (the dumbass).

Just had a quick trawl through Bluemoon to gauge their reaction to his impending departure. Not a bad word to be found with regards to the Irishman.

Every Newcastle fan I've spoken to about him are the same. A top draw keeper is the common consensus. As for the injury prone issue, It's worth pointing out that he went 2 full seasons ever present at one point at Newcastle, and Steve Harper didn't get a look in, the majority of the time he was there, according to one of my Jawdee mate.

Quality!

So they have forgotten or forgiven the "Who's your next Messiah, Ant or Dec?" banner that someone unleased at Villa Park? They haven't said a good word about us since. :lol:

So they have forgotten or forgiven the "Who's your next Messiah, Ant or Dec?" banner that someone unleased at Villa Park? They haven't said a good word about us since.

The banner belongs to one bellend. They've a lot of fans.

So they have forgotten or forgiven the "Who's your next Messiah, Ant or Dec?" banner that someone unleased at Villa Park? They haven't said a good word about us since.

I was at VP that day. Awesome!

I think the 6 - 0 drubbing they gave us last season has evened things up.