Battlefield Bad Comapny 2 & Battlefield 3

carlitobrigante

Midnight launch was a bit of a damp squib - sold about 20, 25 copies.

It's becoming the sign of the times I think.

very few people can afford to buy new games on launch as there are so many good ones each month let alone each year.

in the last month I have wanted to buy

FIFA 12

Gears 3 (got)

batman (got)

BF3

Skyrim

Forza 4

that's the best part of £200 in two months on games.

not.... gonna.....happen.

the only reason I am able to get either skyrim or BF3 will be if I can 100% Batman to trade in.

It will be interesting to see how PC sales of this go. It is still a PC ass PC game as far as I am concerned, wonder how many people will agree?

I agree it is, but again to keep your PC up to spec that's a solid few hundred a year.

If I can't run a PC game on high then it's pointless.

It's becoming the sign of the times I think.

very few people can afford to buy new games on launch as there are so many good ones each month let alone each year.

in the last month I have wanted to buy

FIFA 12

Gears 3 (got)

batman (got)

BF3

Skyrim

Forza 4

that's the best part of £200 in two months on games.

not.... gonna.....happen.

the only reason I am able to get either skyrim or BF3 will be if I can 100% Batman to trade in.

True... however it's worth also noting that games now absolutely tank at retail if they aren't Cod or Fifa. Deus Ex is one of the years best games - I've never seen a price drop so fast. Within 2 weeks of release it was down £15 odd. On the highstreet. Rage'll do the same thing - it's inclusion in an 'When Bought With' with Battlefields launch is the bell toll for it getting a price drop shortly, imo.

Couple that to trade in offers and it can be possible to buy a lot of new games on the highstreet and still cut your costs, especially if you're happy to wait a couple of weeks or are prepared to focus on a game, finish it and trade it.

Saying that I think last nights midnight launch was less about people just not having the money and more Battlefield still not quite having the draw, the fact the weather was crap and the fact midnight launches just don't attract people for anything other than the huge titles - I'll be doing another in a couple of weeks for COD and that'll have a running queue through the door for 2 hours.

It will be interesting to see how PC sales of this go. It is still a PC ass PC game as far as I am concerned, wonder how many people will agree?

I agree it is, but again to keep your PC up to spec that's a solid few hundred a year.

Dont really agree with that. Battlefield is one of those rare examples of a game which is a generational leap, but the vast majority of PC games these days are indie titles or console ports, both of which a relatively modest PC can do with ease.

I think it's not being on Steam will hit it's PC popularity a little at least. Steam is so ubiquitous and convenient for the PC market now that EAs dumb Origin crap is not going to entice many people to grab it. And PC game presence elsewhere is dire. Even on retail websites (thanks to Steam in part of course) they're on the wane.

It's a PC game for sure, it's the best experience on the PC and it's been hobbled for an aging console generation. But PC sales will rely on the Battlefield hardcore and the top end FPS player market.

Dont really agree with that. Battlefield is one of those rare examples of a game which is a generational leap, but the vast majority of PC games these days are indie titles or console ports, both of which a relatively modest PC can do with ease.

Bf 2142

Dawn of war

Crysis

I had to upgrade my pc for each of those in turn the last which cost me £300.

Maybe not the whole pc but a 9 series 512 Gtx back then hit me to the tube of £220. :(

Perhaps pc parts are cheaper than 4 years ago.

I need a whole new rig come may. May require some serious help with that to keep cost down.

I was a pc graphics snob which didn't help. Great playing bf2142 on max though. Looked awesome

Any early reviews?

I am only intending on buying one game this year, and have BF3 earmarked, so any feedback would be appreciated.

General musings I've heard from numerous reviews and people getting early copies

- Campaign is derivative QTE riddled bleh.

- Pretty if you install the texture pack, some minor graphical issues and niggles remain but nothing terrible

- Some odd scripting issues in the campaign, stuff like an NPC character disappearing through a door that they're supposed to blow open for you, leaving you stranded before it loops back to blow the door.

- Multiplayer is usual Battlefield fare polished up to the best it's ever been.

- EAs servers struggling, that'll improve though.

- Matchmaking also a bit shit. Again, that's just stress on the system atm most likely.

- Co-op stuff is hit and miss. It recycles scenarios from the campaign mostly but ramps up the difficulty quite a lot. These seem to suffer from a need to learn the script of the scenario more than even the campaign itself does.

It's lauded as the best Battlefield ever basically, and most of the disappointments of the game are that it's campaign apes COD but just lacks any sparkle, it's apparently quite a dull short but pretty thing. My boss also believes the AI is laughable, though I've not heard anyone else mention that. The multi is where the appeal lies and that, asides from teething niggles and the expected issues with some balancing that'll be ironed out, if Battlefields brand of multi mayhem takes your fancy you'll not go wrong.

BF2142 is better than BF2.

that game with the Titans and hover tanks and attack helicopters

cries of "bratchaaa, bratchaa" which I presume meant grenade in russian. holding the corridors with MLG's and ammo and health packs to rank up. It was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than COD.

BF2142 was the pinacle, perhaps this new version will topple it.

there is also less camping in Battlefield than COD, not sure why but there is. cannot put my finger on it, perhaps vehicles maybe?

I can back up the AI thing - it is terrible. There's an early part of the campaign with an endless stream of enemy soldiers hopping over a wall towards you and your comrades. You're supposed to kill the enemies that have RPGs to progress, but you can literally just stand near this wall with the never ending spawning enemies, and they'll just ignore you. They all head towards where your allies are camped instead, so you can just stand there and mow everything down. The enemy also seems to become blind to you if you are lying on the ground and aiming at them. Hilarious really. This is a bigger issue on console than PC though

Also, the metro level that was in the Beta is by far the worst map in the game

Could also be because CoD is out in less than 2 weeks. I want to get this, but I don't feel like parting with £80+ over the next 2 weeks.

I'll get it after christmas probably, heard only positive things from the online side.

Could also be because CoD is out in less than 2 weeks. I want to get this, but I don't feel like parting with £80+ over the next 2 weeks.

I'll get it after christmas probably, heard only positive things from the online side.

That, aswell as the fact there is no point going to a midnight launch when you can get it cheaper and a day early on the internet.

If i was going to buy on the high street, HMV usually do the best deals, trade in one of a select list, and get new game for as low as 99p.

Hopefully HMV will do a deal on MW3 aswell, as its upto £50 on ShopTo now, which i'm not paying, and i don't want to risk it not arriving on release day with anyone else.

On Battlefield, the multiplayer is really good, although they need to get rid of the flash light gun attachment, as its never dark enough to warrant using it, and people just use it to blind you up close.

Â