What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

I really wanted a couple of the tracks that had only previously been on the DVD and bootlegs. Happiness Is A Warm Pun, just bloody brilliant played loud.

It has a closed loop track, as does most SFA vinyl… except this one isn’t the last track! Track 3 of 4 is closed you have to lift n shift to play the last one.

Last album of theirs I bought, last track played backwards so you had to lift the needle to the end of the record and then it would start playing outward.

Great bunch of lads.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The Dream Syndicate's latest - Ultra Violet Battle Hymns and True Confessions

Completely unfashionable band who were one of the Paisley Underground scene that also spawned The Bangles, The Three O'clock, Gren on Red, The Long Ryders...

MDktMzY1OS5qcGVn.jpeg

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I own Squirrel and the G man, I used to own this on tape and contemplating buying it again. It's currently playing via Spotify and I think it holds up still. 

OC5qcGVn.jpeg

Do it,

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I own Squirrel and the G man, I used to own this on tape and contemplating buying it again. It's currently playing via Spotify and I think it holds up still. 

OC5qcGVn.jpeg

Mine's missing in action too. I will replace it if I ever see a decend copy second hand becuse its a good album. It was recorded before they went huge, it was remixes of stuff like Wrote For Luck that launched them higher and that song in particular on the album is very different in its original form

• Like 1

The Slits debut album Cut

A 1979 Post-Punk classic. This is the 40th Anniversary version with a bonus track. The Slits magnificent cover of I heard It Through The Grapevine

There's obviously a couple of On-U connections here with Dennis Bovell producing (mentored the early Adrian Sherwood) and of course Ari Up who was a member of the New Age Steppers and really became the voice of that collective but there's lots more beside that

Part of the London post-punk squat culture that spawned so many bands including PIL (John Lydon was also Ari Up's step father even though they were of a similar age and background)

Palmolive gets a writing credit for all the songs but she'd left by the time it was recorded, replaced by Budgie who then left to join Siouxsie - replaced by Bruce Smith of the Pop Group who also was part of New Age Steppers

Also features Ari Up's mother Nora (Lydon's wife obv) and Don Letts somewhere on here

So after this album was recorded and Budgie left, The Slits teamed up with Prince Hammer  (recorded with AMS on ON-U forerunner HitRun and toured with Bim Sherman and Price Far I - both On-U artists) AND... AND Jazz legend Don Cherry. Don Cherry's teenage step daughter also joined briefly you might have heard of her, Neneh (who was also a New Age Stepper as well as being in Rip Rig and Panic and Float Up CP (both Pop Group offshoots and Don Cherry Involved here too)

You want connections, this album has them in spades

I can't post the cover because it breaches the guidelines

Anyway, this album is ace

• Like 1

Added more to the Liminanas collection yesterday. More movie soundtrack work from Lionel in collaboration with David Menke

It's a double album with soundtracks from two movies, The Ballad of Linda L & The Devil Inside Me

I've not listened to the second right now but I've listened to The Ballad of Linda L disc a few times. It's brillliant. I have no idea what the movie is like or even what it's about but Lionel's scores have moved on from The Liminanas doing a soundtrack and it just being the Liminanas. There's all sorts in here. Three tracks in a row reference the 80s, 80's score Parts A & B and Friends on Fire. The bass linethat goes across the first two is either Peter Hook (he has appeared with the Liminanas before) or a very good pastiche, there's a Casiotone reference to Trio's Da Da Da and some euphoric '80s electronic Euro Disco. He also seems to have picked up bits from the bands previous colaboration with Laurent Garnier. As ever there are also nods to Morricone and other references I know but can't pin down. It's a really varied score for a film that I imagine is set in the '80s

I may report back with the other disc later but on this evidence Lionel has followed up last years brilliant score to The World We knew with another superb effort where he's really pushed his boundaries further

NjMtNTQ4OS5qcGVn.jpeg

Picked up a copy of this at the weekend. a repress of Flat Worms eponymous 2017 debut. Ltd Edition of 260

Always wanted this because the first (Motorbike) and last (Red Hot Sand) tracks are great and have been in playlists of mine on Spoty for ages. Didn't know it was getting rereleased so I was made up to get the only copy in Probe

Flat Worms contain an Oh See and this album was produced by Ty Segall. Thrashy psychedelic punky garage rock

MjctNzY5Mi5qcGVn.jpeg

• Like 1

From 2000 (this is a 2020 repress)

The Bevis Frond - Valedictory Songs

Contemplating going to see him on Wednesday Night, so having another listen to this album to help me make my mind up. This isn't his latest but its the only one I own. It's also making me think I will go

MzItODAwMy5qcGVn.jpeg

• Like 1

Just now, bickster said:

An album I never tire of. Don't play it all the time but some days I just know that’s what I want. It’s often played before or after Marquee Moon

Yes, I think I’ve picked it up again and played it 3 or 4 times in the last week or so.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Got this Rega Planar 1 on offer. It's ultimately going to be my birthday present, so it'll get packed away after this for a few months. But I'm trying it out with the only record I currently own. It sounds really good!

IMG_29062022_170224_(1080_x_955_pixel).thumb.jpg.596b1ad8ca93ce9e2186ff73e337fabb.jpg

Rega are good decks that rarely give any trouble. 

I've got an RP 3, had it for nearly nine years. Bought a new cartridge/stylus about five years ago and a couple of drive belts. No problems. 

Â