What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

19 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Simon is a Barry fan.

p2787678852-3.jpg

He was responsible for me joining VT. Genuinely. Its not a story I am particularly proud of but a little over 10 years ago I posted prolifically on When Saturday Comes forum. As did he. There was a discussion on Manic Street Preachers and I voiced something that I heard, that I cant remember but it wasnt something I knew as fact and it definitely wasnt anything positive. I think it was to do with something from their trip to asia possibly with Barbara Ellen, I think I had heard rumours of inpropriety and embellished it. Anyway Simon called me out, I doubled down and he tore my bullshit apart. Rightly. Shamed I gave up When Saturday Comes and sought out VT as it was Villa, and a very good off topic section.

And now this absolute masterpiece of dub, unlike a lot of dub from this time, these aren't versions, this is dub by design, there are no originals that these have been mixed from, these are the original tracks. It predates On-U Sounds formation, originally being released on 4D Rhythms (that version is worth a mint). This is the original ON-U pressing of ONU 8 and is still in very good condition

Creation Rebel - Starship Africa

R-7632149-1445544573-9172.jpeg.jpg

Obscure Wirral band Exhibit B - Playing Dead from 1988. A duo that could often be found playing in and around Liverpool. An acquired taste shall we say, I doubt I'll play it all the way through. The band were Jimmy Hughes and Howie Minns both of whom were in The Cherry Boys, another Liverpool "cult" band of the '80s. Howie went on to adopt the persona of Eddie Shit and also played in the Macc Lads and this is nothing like either of those. It has keyboards on it, a prophet 2000, it manages to sound like it was made by Bontempi

It's coming off now, I've heard enough

R-3654701-1454182638-7887.jpeg.jpg

This morning we're listening to The Secret Dub Life of the Flying Lizards. An LP first made in Jamaica in 1978 by David Cunningham and Jah Lloyd but not released until 1995 and re-released in Germany in 2010. Neither release was particularly widespread and even the re-release fetches above the original asking price. It is the Flying Lizards who had a hit with the cover of Money but this is nothing like that, it's full on proper Jamaican Dub very much in the style of a certain Mr Lee Scratch Perry

R-2482420-1286471929.jpeg.jpg

• Like 1

And first up this evening is Elvis Costello and the Attractions - Get Happy! First Pressing (as evidenced by the free poster still being inside and intact). I only realised today that the cover lists side A as starting with I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down whereas the labels state that as the B-side, so I went to Discogs to see if it was some kind of a rarity to discover that it was Mr McManus' idea of a joke. I also discovered that the UK version of this is the only vinyl worth having as all the others are sadly lacking in bottom end due to the groove jamming that went on to get all the tracks on a single disc.

R-861443-1414263505-9073.jpeg.jpg

I also think in reality, going back to a previous conversation about "Greatest Hits" albums, Elvis Costello is one of those artists where I only really need a GH compilation as the well known songs aside, there's a lot of filler on this one

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bickster said:

I also think in reality, going back to a previous conversation about "Greatest Hits" albums, Elvis Costello is one of those artists where I only really need a GH compilation as the well known songs aside, there's a lot of filler on this one

I sort of agree, except that no Greatest Hits would contain only the tracks I want. 

I've settled on My Aim is True, Armed Forces, Almost Blue and King of America as my Costello collection. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I sort of agree, except that no Greatest Hits would contain only the tracks I want. 

I've settled on My Aim is True, Armed Forces, Almost Blue and King of America as my Costello collection. 

I have "The Very Best of Elvis Costello" on CD (Double). 42 Tracks and pretty much everything I need. I think on Vinyl I have this, My Aim and Armed Forces and apart from this cleaning project I doubt I'll ever touch the vinyl again, they'll be marked up as for sale when space dictates the necessity

One of those I'd totally forgotten about its existence albums. Sonic Boom (He of Spacemen 3) - Spectrum. First pressing, Ltd Edition (of 2000) with kaleidoscopic wheels on front and inside Gatefold Sleeve. Probably more suited to my taste now that it was back then tbh. This even has the insert (unused) inside to claim 2 10" records on amber vinyl called Octaves and Tremolos, which I clearly didn't take up. The 10"s currently sell for around £40, the album sells for a little over that too. Pretty sure this album has been played once at most.

R-546817-1353083437-1784.jpeg.jpg

• Like 1

Â