What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

The Room - In Evil Hour. An album that means a lot to me. This their final album was the first one I bought of a Dave Jackson band after seeing them at Drums over the Mersey 2 a local 36 hour drum marathon (read that as an excuse for a festival, I think they were on at about 1am which was about half way through the marathon. Not only do I have lifelong friends in this band (and from subsequent DJ bands) I even remember buying it in Picadilly Records in Manchester when visiting my mate Dave at Manchester Poly. This album in reality spawned my shortish tour managing career and I even remember their final gig at Liverpool Poly. One of those albums I'll always need in my life

R-1248822-1302108397.jpeg.jpg

• Like 2

The Woodentops - Giant.The debut LP from Rolo McGinty's band on Rough Trade. I remember being a bit disappointed with this when it came out, they'd lost a bit of the roughness and energy of the early singles and the live performances. My interest in them waned a bit after it's release but having listened to it tonight for the first time in ages, I actually think it's much better than I thought it was at the time. I remember we put them on, on the tour for this album and they left something behind and were desperate to get it back for the next gig. As it happened, we were passing through Brum (where the next gig was at Aston Uni) the next day anyway on our way to Leicester Poly with our crash barrier for a summer ball with the Communards. So I dropped off the "Box", blagged the guest list and drove on to Leicester to deliver the barriers. then drove back to Brum for the gig and back to Leicester to get pissed at the student ball. I even managed to get breakfast at my parents on the Saturday and a nice roast on the way back through on Sunday. I'm trying to remember if I went to the VIlla too, it's possible I did that a few times. I also seem to remember having some sort of deep conversation with the (now Reverend) Richard Coles and Sarah Jane Morris backstage. S'funny how records remind you of things

EDIT: AS I turn it over to play side 2 I've just remembered who the support to the Woodentops was in Brum, a band called Rumblefish (from Brum) signed to Pink Records. I have a couple of their records somewhere as a result of that gig. The support in Liverpool were a band called Freight Train which was band fronted by Joss Cope (little brother of Julian - looked just like him too) with Donald Ross Skinner on guitar (Julian's guitarist), we put them on a few times as support as well.

R-654494-1388857866-2997.jpeg.jpg

• Like 1

if you guys @mjmooney @blandy had the inclination and 40 minutes to spare, Style Council's Cafe Bleu album might be worth a first listen in 35 years - certainly the A side might be, I can understand the B side being a little hit n miss (although it contains the best track on the album)

anyway, original album versions of 3 tracks you may or may not know...

I keep coming back to the 3 EP's.

It's gibberish but "Needles in my eyes won't cripple me tonight alright. Twisting up my mind please pull me through the light alright " may be my one of my most favourite lyrics ever. 

It would have 10 million views if it were a Beck tune. 

I love Biffy Clyro. Really really love them. I have been lucky enough to see them many many times at a wide range of venues and not once have I thought it was less than excellent. The best time was 2010. In the August I saw them at Leeds Festival and then one month later saw them at the Hard Rock Cafe in Vegas. Always exceptional. I haven't got this album. Yet. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I love Biffy Clyro. Really really love them. I have been lucky enough to see them many many times at a wide range of venues and not once have I thought it was less than excellent. The best time was 2010. In the August I saw them at Leeds Festival and then one month later saw them at the Hard Rock Cafe in Vegas. Always exceptional. I haven't got this album. Yet. 

Yeah, me and the missus haven't seen these yet but they're high on the list.

As it is, Buckcherry are playing the Robin 2 in November so we're seeing them for a 3rd time.

• Like 1

.32837576167_53d35a39a5_n.jpg

A sort of local 'supergroup' made up of people from Catatonia, Y Peth, Furries etc.. 

I went to a gig of theirs that didn't have a bar. Half way through the gig they stopped, organised a few people to take cash contributions from the crowd and they went over the road to a Spar and bought a random selection of booze and pop.

On 03/05/2019 at 19:14, chrisp65 said:

46974496294_51d8594db5.jpg

nice tunes

Dinked version I take it? Already selling for silly money again. I took a punt on this today. Mine's supposed to be yellow vinyl but looks more like a sort of "Dutch Orange". Giving it a spin now

Â