• Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we need a director of football.

Bring back Gerrard.

Well, we definately need some football knowledge at board level.

I'm afraid it's becoming quite clear the board are lacking any.. (and disaster after disaster last season)

Faulkner is the problem. Heard it from two people and i trust both 110%

Wouldn't be surprised, all these poor decisions/inactivity have come since he walked in..

It's just been shit after shit.

I never wanted Houllier to leave and was quite sad to see him gone (I was at least hoping he could stay as a DOF). The past few days have been shambolic and in many peoples eyes, even if Randy does not hire Eck, then he has alot to repay to Villa supporters and much more explaining to do. On the other hand, some people are in no position what so ever to complain. Everyone had issues with McClaren, Martinez, Benitez, even Hughes; however, now all of those would be dream appointments to most of us. It kind of puts things in perspective and shows us to be a little more open and accepting (not saying we should accept Eck, everyone has every right to not want him.) At this point Randy really needs to wise up, bring more football people into his operations, and finally invest heavily in the squad this summer, or he will risk a highly fractured and disallusioned fan base which may eventually force him out of the club. I pray for AVFC over these next few days and hold out hope Randy pulls an ace out of his sleeve and not a **** Joker (ex: McLeish).

Faulkner is the problem. Heard it from two people and i trust both 110%

He seems to be a mug. As soon as I get my masters degree next year I will send in my CV to replace him. He has a damn masters in history, albeit from Cambridge, that in no way makes him a suitable candidate to help guide our club. I fear Lerner trusts him and relies on him too much, which is very dangerous. I really want Houllier back in frame at Villa so he can possibly give some sense to our board, or at least get someone in that understands Villa like Graham Taylor or Big Ron...anything really...

The thing is im not even that angry, i just feel heartbroken and im a 34 year old man. Weve gone back to the darkest Ellis days. When will it ever end. I never thought this board would do something like this, they clearly know nothing about the game and the fans.

Duno if anyone has seen this

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002136293583&sk=wall#!/notes/aston-villa-supporters-we-dont-want-alex-mcleish/update-on-latest-post-official-statement-communication-with-the-club/138708572871873

We have had further dialogue with a reprehensive of the club - this time a lengthy late night phone conversation.

In a nutshell, we both put across our perspectives.

In short, the board is more interested in McLeish's record prior to Birmingham (despite it being in Scotland) and consider the Blues situation as McLeish being a good manager in a very bad situation. We were told, McLeish has a lot of respect within the game (apparently, not just from Stan Collymore...). It was stressed that Aston Villa do not lack ambition with this potential choice of manager.

We were asked to relay what the fears of the Villa fans are. Obvious, really. Beside McLeish's Birmingham City affiliation, it was argued that Villa fan's main concern was we consider McLeish’s actual track record not as impressive as the Villa board might think it is. A relegation prone manager in the Premiership (regardless of the circumstances) is not a proper candidate for the kind of ambition and position that a club like Villa strive for (even in realistic terms).

Randy Lerner will interview McLeish and conclude whether he is the man for the job. That much is certain.

The expected feelings of Villa fans, in terms of the club deciding to court McLeish may have been underestimated. Although there's an understanding, the real emotion and bad taste it's caused hasn't really been factored in the decision to court McLeish.

The question of the point of the protest was raised to us. Well, that really is up to you guys and girls, suffice to say, we informed the club the protest is to voice what we believe in. Plus, there's the simple principle of no Blues manager should or has ever gone on to manage Villa (lets hold on to some traditions in the game!)

If Villa really want to pursue this management candidate, whether it's foolish or not, admittedly it's a bold choice, both for the board and McLeish. Looking into the future - if it pays off, it will be an incredible unlikely masterstroke, but if it goes wrong, the ramifications for the club, board and McLeish, don't bare thinking about.

It's a huge gamble.

UTV

PS - I would again like to extend thanks to the club for having a channel of communication, so we can discuss sensibly the issues at stake and what's best for Aston Villa Football Club.

The most troubling thing for me is that the board seem to be REACTING, instead of acting. They should have figured it out around March that Houllier needed to go, and at that point, begun drawing up a list of replacements, starting with managers out of work. This whole "Premiership Experience" stance is pure stupidity. Is Alex McLeish really preferable to Frank Rijkaard?

Krulak can dismiss fan anxiety all he wants, but the fact is, fans ARE anxious, because it seems like just when things started to settle down a little, they colossally **** up the manager appointment. This should have been done and dusted 2 weeks ago. Look at Fulham. Jol. Done. And they have a statue of Michael Jackson outside their ground, FFS!

Krulak and the board need to comprehend the reasons fans are on edge after this past season. What they needed to do was appoint a respected manager right away, to settle frayed nerves and send a message that Villa are back meaning business. Instead we've had a month of confusion, inaction, lack of vision, and a lack of leadership.

Do they think Stewart Downing is watching this all thinking this is where he wants to be?

They are really walking on thin ice, because any more missteps and it's all going to blow up in their faces.

:?

Still can't believe it. I just hope the board have a change of heart, the only problem is though, I could understand Martinez to a degree, I could definitely understand Houllier but McLeish??? I have to seriously question their decision making now.

It's just so pointless for **** sake. I honestly don't care that he comes from Blues, but everyone knows my thoughts on Sam Allardyce and I don't really see any sort of improvement in style on him...he gets poorer results also!

If you're to get a manager who hasn't done so well, maybe a Martinez, it's because they have the right philosophies, they try to play the game the right way and with a bit more backing, it's easier then to put that game into shape to a more successful level but we're trying to appoint a manager who plays some of the most negative football in the league and has poor results!?!?! Surely that puts you off him but then he comes from Blues which for plenty of fans means he'll never be accepted. I'm sorry but this is absolutely appaling. I just can't believe it.

It's complete and utter madness!!! 12 months ago we had just been to Wembley twice in a matter of months (OK results/decisions went against us). We had been in the race for fourth up until the last 2 games of the season. We were considered by most footballing fans in the country to be a very good side who people had respect for and alot of fans were jealous of our owner and his refreshing attitude.

Now we are a complete and utter laughing stock!!

Firstly the Board because they have no football experience let a non-commercial minded person (MON) handle the finances for the first team and quite happily (and blindly) backed this person till we are in a mess. When they realise the extent of the mess they try to reign the guy in, and not subtly (I assume as MON won his compensation case). He leaves, 5 days before the start of the season. They appoint a member of the backroom staff as caretaker and start a month long search for a manager, the caretaker has a good few results then a very bad one. The board got the shits and caused unrest by bringing in an outside manager (with a chequered history for various reasons). This new manager comes in and in his first press conference insults the club and therefore us fans, this may have been a none intentional act so we give him the benefit. Results still slide, player unrest is a big problem amongst senior pro's, the injury list grows, youth is employed and the results slide further we slide into the relegation dogfight. We give the manager the benefit of the doubt. The manager then visits his old team and we see the biggest insult he could make at the time, we hover above relegation. Fans unrest grows massively. Randy sticks his hand in his pocket and GH buys one good player for mega bucks and one average player relatively cheaply. Results slightly improve and we beat Mancs, we hover above relegation. Our manager then decides we cannot beat this team in the Cup and we surrender the result in front of the nation. After poor results our manager reverts to MON style and tactics and we win a few but still hover above relegation. Fan unrest reaches the terraces!! Our manager has a massive health scare. We lose a few, we hover above relegation. We have 2 games left against form teams and win and climb away from relegation.

The board do nothing other than stump up 20 odd million in the whole season. Then what for medical reports and alledgely choose to ignore them and part company with the manager.

They then look at candidates and the only 2 confirmed proposed candidates are both from smaller teams with relatively no premiership experience. One of whom has turned us down!

How does Randy think that this will protect his investment, which to be fair has been considerable?? If he does sign up AM and we are in the bottom three at Christmas will he sack AM pay out compo and go through this convoluted process again?? Will he risk the financial suicide of relegation??? How can we run a company like this??