• Martinez
    • Hughes
    • Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

http://tinyurl.com/67hw4cg

Article in tomorrow's Times - it's a done deal

Doesn't actually say anything new, though it's the first major paper I've seen to use the General's facebook quotes.

Talking of which, I look at this bit with interest:

"Check with Sir Alex [Ferguson, the Manchester United manager and McLeish’s mentor at Aberdeen] and ask him about the man. You will get an entirely different sense."

Have the board naively thought 'Ferguson is the most successful manager around, therefore let's ask him who we should hire'? Ferguson is a very calculating manager. He has a little clique of managers in the league who love him: e.g. Bruce, McLeish, Allardyce. And these are very useful 'cause they nearly always roll over for United when they play. Ferguson probably just recommended McLeish to Villa to keep his nice easy 6pts a season & maybe get some cash for players he doesn't want..

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't we have to pay 5m to get McLeish though? That's what sha expect anyway and I don't think they'll give up too easily. Yet again another fight on our hands due to the board's incompetence and utter madness.

Blues are having lot of money problems. I think the fact we've been so brazen to officialy state we'll interview McLeish means either a) we know they will settle for lot less already , B) our legal eagles already know we wont have to pay it ..or c) we are willing to risk to pay up to that figure ? :shock:

I've been thinking, and although this is just a fantasy and wont happen imagine this:

Tomorrow is the day we've dreaded. Press conference is called for 12:30 and Twitter's gone dark. Nobody's saying anything, but we all expect the worst. 12:30 comes, and out walks David Moyes.

Just have a feeling if we do end up with AM it's because RL won't pay another £7M compensation when he's just forked out goodness knows how much to our last 2 managers!

But then again said compensation could all be a matter under negotiation couldn't it and what's the harm in keeping your cards close to your chest whilst looking your opponent in the eye.

I honestly beleive that McCleish walking away from Blues had more to do with what was going on behind his back than Villa vacancy.

Will he end up here... hmmmm we shall have to wait and see.

Don't we have to pay 5m to get McLeish though? That's what sha expect anyway and I don't think they'll give up too easily. Yet again another fight on our hands due to the board's incompetence and utter madness.

No he's a free agent according to Villa. But then we all know that RL probably had to fork out some kind of out of court settlement with MON after he walked out on us.......plus Randy has had to settle up with GH...

If he takes on AM then he may have another fight on his hands in court. Although the LMA seem to be pretty darn certain McCleish has a solid case for constuctive dismissal.

Tappings up, secret meetings in Corsica behind BCFC's back... hmmm sounds a bit like how other clubs conclude their affairs...whereas Mr Whelan goes on publc record last week to commend RL on how professionally he conducts himself in dealings......

What's happened in the interim then? Did Randy have a seizure?

Just doesn't all add up to me I'm sorry

Doesn't actually say anything new, though it's the first major paper I've seen to use the General's facebook quotes.

"Check with Sir Alex [Ferguson, the Manchester United manager and McLeish’s mentor at Aberdeen] and ask him about the man. You will get an entirely different sense."

Have the board naively thought 'Ferguson is the most successful manager around, therefore let's ask him who we should hire'? Ferguson is a very calculating manager. He has a little clique of managers in the league who love him: e.g. Bruce, McLeish, Allardyce. And these are very useful 'cause they nearly always roll over for United when they play. Ferguson probably just recommended McLeish to Villa to keep his nice easy 6pts a season & maybe get some cash for players he doesn't want..

Exactly. You're going to someone who has no interest in your club and is a personal friend of McLeish. What do you expect him to say? If you have opinions from people who aren't likely to be doing a favor, surely those should carry more weight?

There are plenty of similar types of AM around. Pretty weird if our board would choose him given his affiliation to blues, PR disaster. That said, i dont think he will do a worse job then Hughes or GH. I see infact AM as a MON light, who will guarantee us a top 10 finish but probably not more. So much for passing the ball along the deck ey!

The sadest part from the potential appointment is that it really confirms that we are a mid-table side and is likely to be so in the foreseeable future.

Another point to consider here is that this is the last chance to use Randy's millions to buy our way up the table. The new rules will come in at the end of the season and so AMcL (unless there is a major surprise lurking in the wings) is the man entrusted to plan and carry out our last throw of the dice. If and when he **** up through lack of ability and support a new man will be left with no means to repair the damage.

There are plenty of similar types of AM around. Pretty weird if our board would choose him given his affiliation to blues, PR disaster. That said, i dont think he will do a worse job then Hughes or GH. I see infact AM as a MON light, who will guarantee us a top 10 finish but probably not more. So much for passing the ball along the deck ey!

The sadest part from the potential appointment is that it really confirms that we are a mid-table side and is likely to be so in the foreseeable future.

MON at least brought in Ash, Downing, and Milner to help Villa get to 6th. Who would McLeish bring in/retain to keep top 10 quality? Zigic? Washed up loans?

If I'm not very much mistaken Doug said Sir Alex had recommended David O'Leary... Not sure I trust that judgement!

Ferguson recommended Djemba Djemba to O'Leary

Obviously considers Villa a soft landing for his charity cases.

Just got home from work after getting an intense ribbing all evening about this crud. We're a laughing stock.

Actually, I'm just surprised you have had time for work with the amount of posting you've been doing over the last 7 years. :D

MON at least brought in Ash, Downing, and Milner to help Villa get to 6th. Who would McLeish bring in/retain to keep top 10 quality? Zigic? Washed up loans?

That we dont know. However pretty harsh comparing those transfers given that the two clubs operate under two different budgets wont you agree? Those players you mention here cost around £30 mill in total, even AM would find decent players for that sum.

I do not support the appointment, but you have to ask the question if this is the best we can get. If so, the reputation of the club is weaker than we all thought.

I cannot believe some people are highlighting AM's qualities. I'm sorry, Alex McLeish is a very average manager. If the board have been spending the past two weeks thrashing this out, then god help us. And call me a cynical, but if indeed AM was on our shortlist with all these apparent meetings in Corsica; it does suggest we haven't been doing things by the book. Maybe that isn't the case, but if it is, WOW!!! They must really want him to go to such great lengths to get him..........and that is VERY VERY concerning. If infact the media were right, and we have gone to AM as a last resort; then that spells PURE DESPERATION and ILLOGICAL thinking. The press may have already just had a field day with this..............But, it will only get worse. Is Randy regretting all this now and has McLeish really got the balls to manager a Club who quite clearly would be on his back from DAY 1. Hmmmmmmm.

From the Club Statement....It was almost like it was 'two fingers to the fans and to the press'. To us, it was; yes we realise the fans are important, but they DO NOT have any influence on who manages OUR Club. And to the Media, it was; 'YOU WERE WRONG'. We did not listen to the fans regarding the McClaren embargo as interviewing McLeish proves. The only way I can see RL saving face now is if something really dramatic happens over the next 48 hours with a new face who has been hidden from the media all along becomes a prime contender. Otherwise, RL faces a losing battle. Don't get me wrong, I will still support Villa. But this whole debacle is one complete and utter MESS!!!!!!!

Exactly. You're going to someone who has no interest in your club and is a personal friend of McLeish. What do you expect him to say? If you have opinions from people who aren't likely to be doing a favor, surely those should carry more weight?

The board asked Sir Alex for advice?

Since when did Sir Alex become a Villa man/care about Villa?

:|

That we dont know. However pretty harsh comparing those transfers given that the two clubs operate under two different budgets wont you agree? Those players you mention here cost around £30 mill in total, even AM would find decent players for that sum.

I do not support the appointment, but you have to ask the question if this is the best we can get. If so, the reputation of the club is weaker than we all thought.

MON made some bad signings, too, and was financially irresponsible and unwilling to address it. I just think that he had the momentum and ability to attract very good players to Villa. I don't think there's anything to suggest that England internationals (or potentials) would come to play for McLeish, and I think it's likely that the ones we have would leave sooner or later (Ash as the first domino, the ensuing mediocrity of McLeish's proposed tenure acting as the rest).

I've also seen it bandied about that McLeish had 40 million in funds during his tenure. Not sure of the veracity of that figure, but the gist seemed to be that he was insincere in crying poor (or perhaps others were on his behalf).

It makes no sense that Villa could not attract better. Regardless of whatever perceived reputation may be out there, Lerner has proven that he will back his managers to an extent beyond most Premier League clubs. A prospective manager would have a legitimate chance to leave his mark rather than having the limited ambitions of smaller clubs leave the mark on him. If McLeish is the best they can find, they are improperly limiting the search.

The board asked Sir Alex for advice?

Since when did Sir Alex become a Villa man/care about Villa?

:|

Think about it!

When SAF wants to sign Albrighton and Clark next season he needs to have one of his men at Villa to make the deal go through easier.