• Benitez
    • McClaren
    • Martinez
    • Hughes
    • Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

I could put this more eloquently, but ill tell it as I feel it.

If Mcleish is employed the board can **** themselves if they think ill support the club. I'll come back when they stop treating our club as a joke.

I'm struggling to believe this is really happening! It's like finding out your hot wife who has always been faithful, has been shagging a dole scrounging fat bastard with no hair and teeth, and she tells you she's going to move in with him.

Surely this can't happen.

Except that this fat bastard is moving in with YOU! That's even worse, eh?

:x

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alex McLeish is on the verge of becoming Aston Villa’s new manager after Randy Lerner told supporters that they should not be blinded by his reign at Birmingham City.

The former Scotland manager will start formal talks today with Villa and an imminent appointment is likely, despite the furore from fans of both Second City clubs and Birmingham’s continued appeal for compensation.

While Lerner, the Villa chairman, understands the fans’ opposition, he believes McLeish has become the best candidate for the post — vacated by Gérard Houllier on health grounds a fortnight ago — since he resigned from Birmingham by e-mail on Sunday.

The St Andrew’s board issued a statement last night when they announced their intention to lodge a formal complaint with the Premier League, accusing Villa of “tapping up” McLeish. The statement described their rivals’ actions as something that will “taint football”.

But McLeish’s case for constructive dismissal by Birmingham was given wholesale support yesterday by Richard Bevan, chief executive of the League Managers Association (LMA), which increased Villa’s confidence in moving for the man who can expect to be despised on both sides of Birmingham until he wins matches.

Peter Pannu, the Birmingham acting chairman, has taken legal advice in pursuit of the £5.4 million compensation stipulated in McLeish’s contract.

Bevan said that McLeish’s position at St Andrew’s had become untenable owing to the “aggressive and seriously undermining communications” of the Birmingham board, which dismissed Paul Montgomery, the chief scout, without consulting the manager.

The LMA also criticised Pannu for revealing details of McLeish’s contract and for flawed communications over transfer dealings. Since the LMA is likely to be involved in mediating between Birmingham and McLeish over their compensation issue, the nailing of its colours leaves the way clear for Villa to bring in their man.

Villa’s search has been a tumultuous process. They view McLeish in a different light to Mark Hughes, who walked out on Fulham two days after Houllier left Villa by mutual consent, and understand that his position at St Andrew’s was severely compromised. Villa confirmed their criteria for the next manager in a statement that could have been written for McLeish, who had successful spells at Motherwell, Hibernian, Rangers and Scotland, and led Birmingham to ninth place in the Barclays Premier League last year before winning the Carling Cup four months ago in between two relegations. “Proven Premier League experience, compelling leadership, an ethic for hard work and . . . sharing our vision,” were mentioned.

“We would, however, like to emphasise that in deciding to interview Alex McLeish, the board has taken his tenure at our local rivals and the strong emotions associated with this very seriously,” the statement concluded. “We are determined, still, not to allow that 3½-year post to disqualify him should he be the best candidate for the role of Aston Villa manager.”

General Charles Krulak, Lerner’s right-hand man at Villa Park, spoke forcibly on a fans’ forum. “The uproar over McLeish is absolutely uncalled for,” he wrote. “He certainly has proved he can manage in the big leagues; just imagine what he could do if he was with an owner who supported him.

“Look at Randy and what he provides to his managers . . . look at his record with other clubs as a manager and player. Check with Sir Alex [Ferguson, the Manchester United manager and McLeish’s mentor at Aberdeen] and ask him about the man. You will get an entirely different sense. That he managed BCFC should not be the driving factor. Yes, Randy and the board understand the feelings of the fans. At the same time, whether it would be this man or any other, we need to do what is right for the club.”

Should McLeish take over at Villa, he would receive at least the £16 million that United are set to pay for Ashley Young. He needs a top goalkeeper after Brad Friedel’s departure to Tottenham Hotspur. Ben Foster, of Birmingham, could be a target. How that would go down with Birmingham fans needs no debate.

http://tinyurl.com/67hw4cg

Article in tomorrow's Times - it's a done deal

I have NO idea what is going to happen next. I am as bemused as everyone... However can we all take a deep breath for a second and notice

something that to me just doesn't add up!!

MM posted earlier that he has no idea what's going on because it has been lock down at VP "Radio Silence" were his words

Did anyone notice a post that is plain for ALL to see on the protest page on facebook?....

From Tracy Knapper

"I've heard that the VP staff have had to sign contracts today to say they will not divulge who the next manager will be. Came from a friend of a friend who works there ........anyone know/reckon there's any truth in it, or if it's just more bull shit?"

Hmmm that kinda backs up what MM said earlier too.... maybe of course pure coincidence and they're both fabrications but independent lies if so.

I'd just like to stop and ask the question....

If Alex McCleish is really going to be the next manager of Aston Villa football club...which lets face it... the whole world and his aunty know... why would it be necessary for complete and utter non disclosure at B6??!!! It would be totally un-necessary.... ESPECIALLY after General Krulak's response last night??!!! Which was a supposed cat out of the bag moment.........

Maybe it's something out of nothing...but just seems very odd to me... this really doesn't add up at all.

Just had a look round a few random non-midlands football forums. A mixture of laughter, concern we'll be relegated, "thank god its not happening us" relief, pity and Mcleish slating but overidingly just sheer disbelief.

It's not just us, the f'kin whole country is baffled by this!!!

I have NO idea what is going to happen next. I am as bemused as everyone... However can we all take a deep breath for a second and notice

MM posted earlier that he has no idea what's going on because it has been lock down at VP "Radio Silence" were his words

Did anyone notice a post that is plain for ALL to see on the protest page on facebook?....

From Tracy Knapper

"I've heard that the VP staff have had to sign contracts today to say they will not divulge who the next manager will be. Came from a friend of a friend who works there ........anyone know/reckon there's any truth in it, or if it's just more bull shit?"

Hmmm that kinda backs up what MM said earlier too.... maybe of course pure coincidence and they're both fabrications but independent lies if so.

If Alex McCleish is really going to be the next manager of Aston Villa football club...which lets face it... the whole world and his aunty know... why would it be necessary for complete and utter non disclosure at B6??!!! It would be totally un-necessary.... ESPECIALLY after General Krulak's response last night??!!!

Which was a supposed cat out of the bag moment.........

Maybe it's something out of nothing...but just seems very odd to me... this really all doesn't add up.

I've been thinking, and although this is just a fantasy and wont happen imagine this:

Tomorrow is the day we've dreaded. Press conference is called for 12:30 and Twitter's gone dark. Nobody's saying anything, but we all expect the worst. 12:30 comes, and out walks David Moyes. :)

From Tracy Knapper

If Alex McCleish is really going to be the next manager of Aston Villa football club...which lets face it... the whole world and his aunty know... why would it be necessary for complete and utter non disclosure at B6??!!! It would be totally un-necessary.... ESPECIALLY after General Krulak's response last night??!!! Which was a supposed cat out of the bag moment.........

Maybe it's something out of nothing...but just seems very odd to me... this really doesn't add up at all.

A new hard-line attitude that would allow them to sack anyone who leaks information in future perhaps?

Alex McLeish is on the verge of becoming Aston Villa’s new manager after Randy Lerner told supporters that they should not be blinded by his reign at Birmingham City.

The former Scotland manager will start formal talks today with Villa and an imminent appointment is likely, despite the furore from fans of both Second City clubs and Birmingham’s continued appeal for compensation.

While Lerner, the Villa chairman, understands the fans’ opposition, he believes McLeish has become the best candidate for the post — vacated by Gérard Houllier on health grounds a fortnight ago — since he resigned from Birmingham by e-mail on Sunday.

The St Andrew’s board issued a statement last night when they announced their intention to lodge a formal complaint with the Premier League, accusing Villa of “tapping up” McLeish. The statement described their rivals’ actions as something that will “taint football”.

But McLeish’s case for constructive dismissal by Birmingham was given wholesale support yesterday by Richard Bevan, chief executive of the League Managers Association (LMA), which increased Villa’s confidence in moving for the man who can expect to be despised on both sides of Birmingham until he wins matches.

Peter Pannu, the Birmingham acting chairman, has taken legal advice in pursuit of the £5.4 million compensation stipulated in McLeish’s contract.

Bevan said that McLeish’s position at St Andrew’s had become untenable owing to the “aggressive and seriously undermining communications” of the Birmingham board, which dismissed Paul Montgomery, the chief scout, without consulting the manager.

The LMA also criticised Pannu for revealing details of McLeish’s contract and for flawed communications over transfer dealings. Since the LMA is likely to be involved in mediating between Birmingham and McLeish over their compensation issue, the nailing of its colours leaves the way clear for Villa to bring in their man.

Villa’s search has been a tumultuous process. They view McLeish in a different light to Mark Hughes, who walked out on Fulham two days after Houllier left Villa by mutual consent, and understand that his position at St Andrew’s was severely compromised. Villa confirmed their criteria for the next manager in a statement that could have been written for McLeish, who had successful spells at Motherwell, Hibernian, Rangers and Scotland, and led Birmingham to ninth place in the Barclays Premier League last year before winning the Carling Cup four months ago in between two relegations. “Proven Premier League experience, compelling leadership, an ethic for hard work and . . . sharing our vision,” were mentioned.

“We would, however, like to emphasise that in deciding to interview Alex McLeish, the board has taken his tenure at our local rivals and the strong emotions associated with this very seriously,” the statement concluded. “We are determined, still, not to allow that 3½-year post to disqualify him should he be the best candidate for the role of Aston Villa manager.”

General Charles Krulak, Lerner’s right-hand man at Villa Park, spoke forcibly on a fans’ forum. “The uproar over McLeish is absolutely uncalled for,” he wrote. “He certainly has proved he can manage in the big leagues; just imagine what he could do if he was with an owner who supported him.

“Look at Randy and what he provides to his managers . . . look at his record with other clubs as a manager and player. Check with Sir Alex [Ferguson, the Manchester United manager and McLeish’s mentor at Aberdeen] and ask him about the man. You will get an entirely different sense. That he managed BCFC should not be the driving factor. Yes, Randy and the board understand the feelings of the fans. At the same time, whether it would be this man or any other, we need to do what is right for the club.”

Should McLeish take over at Villa, he would receive at least the £16 million that United are set to pay for Ashley Young. He needs a top goalkeeper after Brad Friedel’s departure to Tottenham Hotspur. Ben Foster, of Birmingham, could be a target. How that would go down with Birmingham fans needs no debate.

http://tinyurl.com/67hw4cg

Article in tomorrow's Times - it's a done deal

Godspeed Villa fans. You deserve better than this. :?

Maybe they have other managers lined up but they dont have experiance with the Premiership. McLeish is probrably favoured because he has the experiance of top flight English football..

He only has intermitant experience though!!! He's a yo-yo manager!! His experience is in the porridge league!! He should go and manage McHoof in the Irn Bru Highland West Third Division!!

And I disagree with the people saying we are interviewing to show control by the board because I wouldn't be surprised if he was aour top target from when they decided to put GH out to pasture!!! RL and PF want a yes man with no real ambition, look at how GK blindly supports him and all others at the club who Randy employed. Lunacy!! I wouldn't be surprised if we have tapped up this loser!!

Everyone asks would Randy run MBNA like this? Well remember he inherited from Daddy and sold it to BoA not long after!! I have always thought Randy was a good owner but this last season is changing my mind rapidily!

I was a strong advocate of the sack Ged brigade and thought there are some really strong candidates in the market or that we could attract a successful manager from another club. Instead we seem to have approached a load of deadbeats. I should have been careful what I wished for eh??

I've been thinking, and although this is just a fantasy and wont happen imagine this:

Tomorrow is the day we've dreaded. Press conference is called for 12:30 and Twitter's gone dark. Nobody's saying anything, but we all expect the worst. 12:30 comes, and out walks David Moyes.

Just have a feeling if we do end up with AM it's because RL won't pay another £7M compensation when he's just forked out goodness knows how much to our last 2 managers!

But then again said compensation could all be a matter under negotiation couldn't it and what's the harm in keeping your cards close to your chest whilst looking your opponent in the eye.

I honestly beleive that McCleish walking away from Blues had more to do with what was going on behind his back than Villa vacancy.

Will he end up here... hmmmm we shall have to wait and see.

I cannot believe some people are highlighting AM's qualities. I'm sorry, Alex McLeish is a very average manager. If the board have been spending the past two weeks thrashing this out, then god help us. And call me a cynical, but if indeed AM was on our shortlist with all these apparent meetings in Corsica; it does suggest we haven't been doing things by the book. Maybe that isn't the case, but if it is, WOW!!! They must really want him to go to such great lengths to get him..........and that is VERY VERY concerning. If infact the media were right, and we have gone to AM as a last resort; then that spells PURE DESPERATION and ILLOGICAL thinking. The press may have already just had a field day with this..............But, it will only get worse. Is Randy regretting all this now and has McLeish really got the balls to manager a Club who quite clearly would be on his back from DAY 1. Hmmmmmmm.

From the Club Statement....It was almost like it was 'two fingers to the fans and to the press'. To us, it was; yes we realise the fans are important, but they DO NOT have any influence on who manages OUR Club. And to the Media, it was; 'YOU WERE WRONG'. We did not listen to the fans regarding the McClaren embargo as interviewing McLeish proves. The only way I can see RL saving face now is if something really dramatic happens over the next 48 hours with a new face who has been hidden from the media all along becomes a prime contender. Otherwise, RL faces a losing battle. Don't get me wrong, I will still support Villa. But this whole debacle is one complete and utter MESS!!!!!!!

im clutching to tiny straws i know, but until there is an official "no" from Moyes, it is still possible.

for all we know AM is in a batch of managers being interviewed in the next few days

Tomorrow is the day we've dreaded. Press conference is called for 12:30 and Twitter's gone dark. Nobody's saying anything, but we all expect the worst. 12:30 comes, and out walks David Moyes.

Just have a feeling if we do end up with AM it's because RL won't pay another £7M compensation when he's just forked out goodness knows how much to our last 2 managers!

But then again said compensation could all be a matter under negotiation couldn't it and what's the harm in keeping your cards close to your chest whilst looking your opponent in the eye.

I honestly beleive that McCleish walking away from Blues had more to do with what was going on behind his back than Villa vacancy.

Will he end up here... hmmmm we shall have to wait and see.

Don't we have to pay 5m to get McLeish though? That's what sha expect anyway and I don't think they'll give up too easily. Yet again another fight on our hands due to the board's incompetence and utter madness.

In fairness to McLeish, he didn't exactly have a wealth of quality players at his disposal to enable him to play good football.

HE BROUGHT THEM!!!!

last few days makes me wonder if they were really his number 1 choices, or peter pans

Maybe they have other managers lined up but they dont have experiance with the Premiership. McLeish is probrably favoured because he has the experiance of top flight English football..

I know it's only a hypothetical, but that's like hiring a pilot who's negligently crashed two planes based upon his experience in the skies.

The absolute minimum hire the board should make is Hughes, IMO. He will be available (why would Chelsea settle for a manager that couldn't get the job done for Man City? Makes no sense), and he at least had an out in his contract that he exercised which was agreed to by Fulham, whereas McLeish got the vote of confidence after getting SHA relegated and still walked out on them. By email. Loyalty cannot be an issue for any manager if the board is considering McLeish.

Neither is a potential buyout (unless I've missed news on that front, which is possible), since SHA and Pannu seem unwilling to let him walk away without compensation. Perhaps I'm in error that they can refuse to accept his resignation and place him on one year gardening leave? If not, the buyout should not be an issue in the pursuit of Moyes, who has perhaps a higher cost, but would presumably come with far less acrimony and inquiries into tapping up. Hughes should be free if I'm correct (not that I even care about Hughes, although he'd be a pretty miraculous pull at this stage).

If SAF put in a good word for him, surely it must be tempered in light of their friendship? Surely he wouldn't slag McLeish off when asked. Or cynically, perhaps SAF doesn't want to have to worry about Villa for a while (not that he lost much sleep this past year, but I digress).

The transfer record is abysmal. Fan support is dead on arrival (to portray it most favourably). His quote about wanting to play better football is just words. I'm sure everyone would like to be more Barcelona than Stoke. He isn't young. He isn't a "name." He has no apparent connections to help bring talent in like Ged did. He won't be able to keep Ash this summer or Downing once it becomes no longer feasible to refuse offers (though perhaps he could bring Gardner, Ridgewell and Davies back).

I quite simply cannot believe that a group tasked with bringing in a new manager to push the club forward could come back with a candidate so utterly devoid of any positive qualities. I can't even see the starting point of the beginnings of a seed of a logical, reasonable suggestion. He's the least popular candidate with the least to offer the club and the most red tape to sort out. Next, please.

I'm sure this is just rehash, but I just wanted to throw in my two cents/pence.