Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

I've worked in IT for a number of years so have a few stories. Unfortunately they're mostly gonna be relevant to fellow IT workers.

My personal favourite was when an account manager told the customer their router's IP was 192.168.1.254.10.4. We all saw the email and wondered where on earth she'd got that from. Turns out when she was speaking to a techy earlier she said "is the IP 192.168.1.254?" and he said "10-4".

I used to do tech support for Evesham Micros if anyone remembers those. Many times on the phones I'd forget to mute the phone and call people names accidentally. But we all used to speak to each other by holding finger and thumb over the mouthpiece. Guy sees a nice girl walk past one day, leans over to me and says "wouldn't you love to butt-f*ck her?" and which point the customer on the other end says "you do realise I can hear you?"

Then when I forgot I had a shouting customer on hold, called another shouting customer, they picked up, I accidentally transferred them together. I can only imagine the conversation that ensued.

• Like 2

I always wonder how I look to other people. We are ourselves so we don't see ourselves. It would be great to be someone else for a day so we can see how we look. Looking in the  miiror is not the same.

Edited by Voinjama
  • Like 2

Scary?

When you actually think deeply about it, it is a bit scary yes. I must of looked a right tool when I was younger. But I guess there are 7 billion people on this earth, so I probably dont look that different to everyone else.

I always wonder how I look to other people. We are ourselves so we don't see ourselves. It would be great to be someone else for a day so we can see how we look. Looking in the miiror is not the same.

Yeah, I think about that one too. We see a studied version of ourselves, our mind is set to focus on various parts of our physique, attire etc., good and bad based on our perception of them.

But then, each individual will also see us differently to the next. One might see beauty were others do not.

Philosophy 101 that. How can we be sure anything is real if not a single one of us perceives the world in the same way. Bertrand Russell wrote a great little book (though at times a little bombastic) on the subject, think it's called "the problems of philosophy". Well worth a read.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1

Example - maybe you own a shirt that you once loved, but not so much anymore. You wear it because you've nothing else clean. You feel uncomfortable doing so, it has a subconscious effect on how you act that day.

Then come 3 o'clock in the afternoon, somebody passes comment on how much they love the shirt you're wearing. The shirt that you've now grown to hate because of how it made you feel.

We live through this kind of shit on a daily basis. It's exhausting being a human being,

(One for the "boring" thread?!)

I've lost about 3 stone over last summer. I now look and feel **** amazing compared to how I used to look and feel.

The confidence boost is amazing. I don't mind being the centre of attention now.

It helps that everyone keeps going on about the weight loss as well. It won't last obviously, but I'm enjoying it at the moment.

• Like 2

I always wonder how I look to other people. We are ourselves so we don't see ourselves. It would be great to be someone else for a day so we can see how we look. Looking in the miiror is not the same.

Yeah, I think about that one too. We see a studied version of ourselves, our mind is set to focus on various parts of our physique, attire etc., good and bad based on our perception of them.

But then, each individual will also see us differently to the next. One might see beauty were others do not.

Philosophy 101 that. How can we be sure anything is real if not a single one of us perceives the world in the same way. Bertrand Russell wrote a great little book (though at times a little bombastic) on the subject, think it's called "the problems of philosophy". Well worth a read.

Some interesting points raised. It's a subject I would like to go into more detail on. It's something thats been on my mind alot and its **** me up a bit.

Edited by Voinjama

Example - maybe you own a shirt that you once loved, but not so much anymore. You wear it because you've nothing else clean. You feel uncomfortable doing so, it has a subconscious effect on how you act that day.

Then come 3 o'clock in the afternoon, somebody passes comment on how much they love the shirt you're wearing. The shirt that you've now grown to hate because of how it made you feel.

We live through this kind of shit on a daily basis. It's exhausting being a human being,

(One for the "boring" thread?!)

No, this is vital stuff. Self-image perception. You can see it with (especially but not exclusively) young women - anorexia, unnecessary cosmetic surgery, etc. They can look fine, but no amount of telling them will convince them they are not hideous. 

And (more positively) the reverse - those who may be plain or even ugly, but massive self-confidence more than compensates. Unsurprisingly, more likely to be men. 

• Like 1

Some interesting points raised. It's a subject I would like to go into more detail on. It's something thats been on my mind alot and its **** me up a bit.

I wouldn't worry about it, unless it's a real life mental health issue like body dysmorphia?

If it's a case of worrying about what's real or not, you're as real to me as I am to you. At least I think so, the book answered a lot of questions I had myself. He's a genius... Unless I'm not real and I'm just a figment of your imagination, of your "world". In which case, worry even less about it!

Its not about being real or not. Its about what people think when they see me around. I'm paranoid, do I walk funny? Do I act strange? Am I a loner? etc......

Most of you guys dont know me, so you cant answer these questions.

Its not about being real or not. Its about what people think when they see me around. I'm paranoid, do I walk funny? Do I act strange? Am I a loner? etc......

Most of you guys dont know me, so you cant answer these questions.

Nobody can answer them to your satisfaction except yourself. To me you might walk funny, to someone else you might have a purposeful, powerful stride. To some being a "loner" is a sign of strength, comfort in oneself. Like a cowboy!

Forget what anyone else thinks and concentrate on your own perception of you.

Hate to get all preachy, but have you ever considered psychotherapy?

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

Â